IGNORED

Text Sweeper - A Minesweeper Clone for the Model 100

Grimakis

Hi everyone,

I was bored on Sunday night so I wrote a Minesweeper clone for the Model 100.

it is called Text Sweeper.

it's pretty barebones, but it works. It's written in BASIC.

Please test it out, and if you find any bugs or issues, let me know. So far the only problem is that Calculating the Minefield is dreadfully slow.

Controls:

Enter/Spacebar - Check a cell.

F - Flag/Unflag as cell.

WASD/Arrow Keys - Move Cursor

H - Controls/help

F8 - Exit to BASIC

2023-02-12 Edit (Version 2.3.0):

As previously mentioned, I have been working on Text Sweeper again. I've made a bunch of changes behind the scenes, but the things that will be noticeable to you:

• Slight graphical changes.
  • Better mine generation for denser minefield.
  • Controls can be seen by pressing H
  • WASD is supported as an alternative to the arrow keys.
  • You cannot accidentally click a flagged cell.
  • If you click a cell with a Number. If the flags surrounding that cell equal the number, it will open the non flagged cells (Be careful :D )
  • If you accidentally press LABEL, the screen will fix itself
Everything is on github.
https://github.com/Grimakis/TextSweeper

There are probably still a ton of bugs I didn't find, so let me know if you find any.

Edited by Grimakis
2.3.0 Release
  • Like 6

The Tandy 100-102 uses standard double precision. To speed things up a bit , you could try "DEFINT A-Z"

I inserted this line

950 DEFINT A-Z

in your program and ran it, but didnt notice an exact increase in speed.

At the moment i also dont have time (a bit busy for the Eastern weekend) to check thing further.

The Tandy 100-102 uses standard double precision. To speed things up a bit , you could try "DEFINT A-Z"

I inserted this line

950 DEFINT A-Z

in your program and ran it, but didnt notice an exact increase in speed.

At the moment i also dont have time (a bit busy for the Eastern weekend) to check thing further.

Thanks for the idea. Most of my variables are declared as INTs anyway using the % sign, so I don't think it will make much of a difference.

I've made some edits to the code to make it much faster, however I can't edit my initial post. I'll post the new version below.

• Like 3

Albert gave me the ability to edit the initial post. I've updated the links to a page I created on my own site.

In addition to the game now being even faster, I've added a title screen and the ability to set a custom number of mines in the minefield.

It turns out that the Model 100 is really very suited for games like Minesweeper. I can only imagine how popular a Minesweeper port might have been amongst traveling businessmen back in the day.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/3/2022 at 7:54 AM, Stormtrooper of Death said:

I have the game on my harddrive. Its a BASIC program. I might be able to upload it here, but I dont know if Grimakis agrees ?

Thanks, Stormtrooper of Death. I eventually managed to find a variant of it by asking on the "Bitchin' 100" mailing list. John Hogerhuis had a backup which he posted and is now in the mail archive here: https://www.mail-archive.com/m100@lists.bitchin100.com/msg16103.html. This version include's Ken Petit's nifty ASCII Pixels for upgraded graphics.

It would be nice, though, if @Grimakis gave permission to have it properly archived somewhere. (I suggest github.com or archive.org as the easiest for people to find and least likely to disappear anytime soon).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi @hackerb9

I’m glad to see some renewed interest. I’m currently in the process of rewriting a bit of the game to add some new features.

I am also using a private Github repo to maintain the project myself, but I may decide to flip that public at some point.

I’ll update here and the mailing list when I’m ready to put out the next version.

• 2 weeks later...