IGNORED

New Vectrex

ianoid

I have trouble with calling it new when it has been opened and rifled through. Am I alone on that? Why do people open these things?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222472983179

At least it's a nice specimen to compare the box to if another new one pops up. I suspect that two layers of tape means a reseal...

Completely agree. It isn't "new."

Whether it's new or not, it's kind of a debate just because if it was slid out of the box for pictures, it would really come own to if it was ever once powered up I'd think on something as unique a this.

That said, did you read the two public questions on it? The dude is a blind greedy troll. Someone pointed out recently someone else sold 2 NEW ones and they went for $1300 and asked how flexible he is, and he won't budge at all because its collectible. I hope no one pays him, ever, until reality hits. Either he's looking for an idiot (which will be harder with a public question like that) or just likes to show off as some people on ebay do wasteful listings like that as they get that 50 free/month.

I think a "new" unplayed Vectrex might have a tougher time working properly than one that's been used intermittently throughout the years too. At least with a unit that's been used here and there, the electrolytic caps get a workout and a chance to restore themselves. I can imagine turning something like this on for the first time and hearing a bunch of pop, Pop, POP! sounds as components blow up. Have witnessed just that with a few old televisions and radios throughout the years. :lol:

• Like 1

Whether it's new or not, it's kind of a debate just because if it was slid out of the box for pictures, it would really come own to if it was ever once powered up I'd think on something as unique a this.

That said, did you read the two public questions on it? The dude is a blind greedy troll. Someone pointed out recently someone else sold 2 NEW ones and they went for $1300 and asked how flexible he is, and he won't budge at all because its collectible. I hope no one pays him, ever, until reality hits. Either he's looking for an idiot (which will be harder with a public question like that) or just likes to show off as some people on ebay do wasteful listings like that as they get that 50 free/month.

Not so sure he's blind, greedy, or a troll. But I do think he is pushing the market to see what the values is. The market will push back with no sale if the current perceived value is not there.

I have seen a $2000 boxed supposedly new Vectrex listed in the past on eBay that did sell back in Sep 2005. Also in great condition. At least on the outside. It was sealed and stayed that way during its listing And no, it's not the same serial number as the one in the current listing. So it's not unheard of for a person to get a large sum for a Vectrex. But we'll see if the current listing has what the public wants to succeed for the asking price.