IGNORED

Namco Museum Coming to the Switch

Rick Dangerous

or maybe some with atari, or midway?

later

Nah, Namco owns it all. Atari and Midway were licensees.

There have been a great many cut-down products called Namco Museum. I suspect it's about the upsell, or to keep development costs down.

I'd rather have a more expensive and more complete product, but it seems like retro compilations "need" to be cheap. Like the silly AtGames Atari flashback software collections on Xbone and PS4 (or the Atari collections on DS before that) that are split into two volumes just so they could be sold cheaper in pieces. Argh.

Personally I'd pay full market pricing ($50-60) if they threw every single Namco arcade game that has ever graced one of their emulation/simulation package deals going back the 5 volume run on PS1 to start, and then into the GBA, Cube/PS2, PSN offerings, and so on.

There's a heap of games, a few more if you think of perhaps something only Japan got that probably today (but not then) would have been localized.

I still knowing their cheapo coining habits on mobile wouldn't put it beyond them to charge X per game or for a pack of 3-5 games within the game itself. $30 for the base 10 titles, then another $5 for 3 or something. It would add up fast.

I'm still of the belief looking at their mobile model they'll release many more games as small bundle and/or individual download add-ons to really juice peoples wallets. All the complaining online about various omitted games is just $ to them you can nickel and dime out piece by piece.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm still of the belief looking at their mobile model they'll release many more games as small bundle and/or individual download add-ons to really juice peoples wallets. All the complaining online about various omitted games is just $ to them you can nickel and dime out piece by piece.

I'm okay with that, if they follow through with support. Seems equally possible they'll drop it and release something else called Namco Museum with a different set of games a few years later, as they've done on other platforms.

I could see it go either way. They have that history going back to the PS1 with the N A M C O branded 5 discs of old games, but you can see the do additional purchase under existing stuff in the last decade in console/mobile(tablet/phone) stuff too.

They did two different releases on PS2, a whole bunch of overlapping collections from different developers on GBA, one disc-only collection on PSP, and a damned confusing set of releases on mobile. Capcom has done that too, releasing arcade collections then dropping support then releasing very similar things. It's enough to make people talk about "ownership" vs. "virtual leases" and other codswallop. :lolblue:

• 4 weeks later...

Pack Man, Dig Dug and Galaga alone are worth my $30. I hope you can go full screen and some sort of fugly border isn't mandatory. Can't stand those..

They might allow stretching in Vertical to give full-screen, but personally, I think it's more likely they'll do a border over the other solutions. For me, I'd rather have a border (or no border) and preserve aspect ratio than get erroneous graphics or cut-off elements.

This is an excellent game.

I'm very confused as to how it will work though. Will this be a multi-switch only game? I can't imagine it working otherwise.

Incidentally, Namco Museum DS also had Pac-Man Vs. built in, and it supported single-card multiplayer. Personally I'd go for that one, if only because it's definitely cheaper these days, and you're way more likely to find four DS or 3DS than four switch in a single spot.

So there is no physical release to this?? :|

Also noticed an killer $30 price for it too, really? The PS3 game was 1/3 or 1/2 that price a few years back as a download too and had a nice selection of games too. Smells of a cash grab.

Edited by Tanooki

Second guessing if I will buy this because no physical release and can't stand ugly borders! Who would not want to play these games full screen? Yuck.

Is much rather play dig dug on my 7800 than with some cheesy border graphic on a smaller screen.

Edited by travistouchdown

Who would want something like a 3:4 arcade game stretched to fill a 16:9 display? I think it's safe to state that you're very much in the minority, at least among classic gamers.

Edit: Or are you complaining that they don't fill your screen vertically?

That there's always letterboxing going on (Judging by YouTube videos) is a complaint that I can get behind. Even in TATE mode, the top and bottom of your television that now represents the left and right sides of your game display, still have a border for some bizarre reason.

But they're close enough to being as large as possible within the constraints of their original aspect ratio where it would be an annoyance for me rather than a significant issue. This happens in several classic compilations of the past 10-12 years, and I imagine is done since it's desirable from a scaling perspective.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1