Drummerboy

Hello,

I just was using this Atari 800XL, and without reason, the "U" key seems as pressed but nobody is pressing the key. (see video, sorry for quality and few background sounds. :ponder: ). https://youtu.be/msnZSZTz8a0

Dirty?, maylar issues?, key system broke?

Any suggest, comments, are welcome.

Best Regards. :waving:

Edited by Drummerboy

Unplug the keyboard. If the U key stops, your keyboard is stuck. If it Does Not stop, remove the key decoder chips. If it Still doesn't stop, you have a bad POKEY.

Of course, look for simple things first. A staple could have fallen in one of the vent slots and be sitting in just a certain spot... You never know.

Hope this helps.

Pull straight up, supported on opposite side evenly. I have seen one too many 800's and XL's damaged when keys are pried up on just one side...

Yeah, i pull straight up on opposite side evely and fixed.

I tried before post this, but evidently not do enough steady.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Unplug the keyboard. If the U key stops, your keyboard is stuck. If it Does Not stop, remove the key decoder chips. If it Still doesn't stop, you have a bad POKEY.

Of course, look for simple things first. A staple could have fallen in one of the vent slots and be sitting in just a certain spot... You never know.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip I'll keep it in mind for next eventual issues.

• Like 1

Have you tried taking the U keycap off and seeing if anything is stuck and what type of keyboard you have?

You know, i am not sure what kind of keyboard model is but is different to the keyboard on other Atari 800XL for sure. This is more tight than the other, and keys surface you can feel little texturized.

I had something similar with my 800XL, with my '.' key. On the underside of the keyboard assembly there's an array of tiny screws holding the mylar in place. I backed the screw that was near the . key out just a little bit, maybe half a turn, and it relieved the pressure that was forcing the contacts together. My keyboard has worked perfectly since.

Give it a try.

I had something similar with my 800XL, with my '.' key. On the underside of the keyboard assembly there's an array of tiny screws holding the mylar in place. I backed the screw that was near the . key out just a little bit, maybe half a turn, and it relieved the pressure that was forcing the contacts together. My keyboard has worked perfectly since.

Give it a try.

Ah that's very interesting I have exactly this issue on my 800XL although it comes and goes. I'll have to have a look to see if this fixes it for good.