IGNORED

5200 control issues .

Poestyle

I am new here and have looked up different threads about controller issues and have tried a few things , the the results are still the same .... Games do not respond to the keypad or start , pause , reset presses . I have a 2 port 5200 and have swapped out the multiplexer chips , the pokey and have also put in a new rev 9 gold flex circuit and gold buttons in my controller . A continuity test confirmed the controller inputs were good . My question is what do I do next ? All of my games come on and go to the demo screens or the " press start " or choose players screen . The picture and colors are great. The only games that I game get to start are games that you can start by pressing the fire buttons . I only have two that will start that way . Buck Rogers and Mr. Do's Castle . Both will start and play perfectly and the audio is working fine as well . Am I missing something ? Any help would be appreciated . I really want to play my 2 port 5200 !!!! Thanks in advance . Again , I am new to this site and to the 5200 .

I am new here and have looked up different threads about controller issues and have tried a few things , the the results are still the same .... Games do not respond to the keypad or start , pause , reset presses . I have a 2 port 5200 and have swapped out the multiplexer chips , the pokey and have also put in a new rev 9 gold flex circuit and gold buttons in my controller . A continuity test confirmed the controller inputs were good . My question is what do I do next ? All of my games come on and go to the demo screens or the " press start " or choose players screen . The picture and colors are great. The only games that I game get to start are games that you can start by pressing the fire buttons . I only have two that will start that way . Buck Rogers and Mr. Do's Castle . Both will start and play perfectly and the audio is working fine as well . Am I missing something ? Any help would be appreciated . I really want to play my 2 port 5200 !!!! Thanks in advance . Again , I am new to this site and to the 5200 .

Did you check the controller's wires? If one of the buttons are "stuck", it may prevent any from registering.

Make sure there isn't a coat of graphite across the flex circuit contacts.

Hard to tell without trying to known good controller.

Him putting in new Flex circuits...etc. pretty much only leaves two things. You either have a loose solder joint (Likely on the shared ground with the function buttons) at the port, or most likely...a bad cable. And yes, I have to replace just as many cables on 5200 controllers as I have flex circuits due to broken traces...(usually from someone not knowing, ripping the controller apart without first undoing the top row of buttons).

• Like 1

I am late to every topic, and not an electronics person. My answer to everything like this is to just go the easy route and send in your core to Best Electronics and have them send you a rebuilt lifetime controller for $45 or whatever. I'm planning on buying a 5200 again soon. Mine was lost in a flood in 2001. And when I get it, I'll probably try the controllers, but ultimately, my plan will be to buy one of their rebuilt controllers. That suggestion might not make me popular on here, but to me it's an easy solution.

• Like 2

I'll probably try the controllers, but ultimately, my plan will be to buy one of their rebuilt controllers. That suggestion might not make me popular on here, but to me it's an easy solution.

Who care what's popular? All that's really important is what YOU want... after all it's YOUR hobby! :thumbsup:

Everyone has different wants & likes... there is no 'right way'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies . Still having the issue . I tried the paperclip suggestion and the games still do not start . I will open up the system and try again . Hope I didn't ruin anything when I soldered in the new sockets for the multiplexer chips ??