IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

Nintendo has revealed the SNES Classic Edition. Coming in September 2017.

The full game list:

Contra III: The Alien Wars

Donkey Kong Country

EarthBound

Final Fantasy III

F-ZERO

Kirby Super Star

Kirbys Dream Course

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Mega Man® X

Secret of Mana

Star Fox

Star Fox 2

Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting

Super Castlevania IV

Super Ghouls n Ghosts®

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Super Mario World

Super Metroid

Super Punch-Out!!

Yoshis Island

Early source of rumor:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-19-sources-nintendo-to-launch-snes-mini-this-year

Eurogamer is kind of a reliable source for rumors right?

It does make sense for Nintendo to release Snes, it the logical next step. I'm still bummed I didn't ever get or even see the Nes mini in stores. Not paying scalper prices when I have all the games on Pi. :)

Edited by Rev
  • Like 1

(Going to avoid the supply issues topic, it's been done to death)

I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I love the SNES more than the NES, if that were possible. So you'd think this would be better news for me. On the other hand, it's a lot harder to curate an "essentials" bundle for the SNES, because the library had very refined genres. The "best of" for the SNES was a very different list if you were into RPGs, compared to street fighting games, compared to racers. Plus, more of the top third-party titles are licensed.

But I totally want it.

• Like 3

They're decent but not high on the accuracy scale when it comes to rumor, but they're not mostly lie peddlers for attention either.

With that comment of them saying 'for this year' when stopping on the NES CE, it wouldn't surprise me if they rolled that back out and a SNES one next Christmas filling the desire for both and in far higher numbers so the fury doesn't bubble over on them after this latest incident.

...it's a lot harder to curate an "essentials" bundle for the SNES, because the library had very refined genres. The "best of" for the SNES was a very different list if you were into RPGs, compared to street fighting games, compared to racers. Plus, more of the top third-party titles are licensed.

But I totally want it.

Not really. You could actually given the 5 3rd parties that backed the NES draw an easy conclusion on what could come on the SNES by mirroring the game franchises. Where there are things that didn't go from NES to SNES, that's where you stuff in other items like Pilotwings, Final Fight, F-Zero, Starfox, Sunset Riders, and so on. But looking at franchise sequels you have Gradius, Castlevania, Megaman, Final Fantasy, Ninja Gaiden(Trilogy), Super Ghouls n Ghosts, and others to copy fill the gaps.

• Like 1

I am SOO F-ING SICK and TIRED of Nintendo not knowing what that had on the NES mini and Im not mad because I my self had not gotten a mini system my self even if I some how got one that's still no excuse Nintendo DROPPING THE BALL on selling the Mini Classic just enough for last year Christmas. If they cant sell enough of the NES then why on Earth I should believe they would not do the same with SNES. I see it as too little to late and I may as well spend my cold hard cash on real SNES games seem Nintendo didnt wont my money for the NES mini why should I pay them for this SNES mini.

And an other thing and piss me off is that Nintendo was never wanted to do a longer term on the MINI but how cant they not see how much the US love retro stuff? I sorry but if it wasn't for the US market on the original NES back in 85 I truly believe Nintendo would not be as big as they are now and dont tell me that UK and other part of the old world would had save them we all know that the HUGE chuck of there sale are from the US market. The folks at Nintendo of America should had told the gang at Japan "Hey there's not enough NES mini to sell, make more!" Other of there Reason is that they dont wanted the Nintendo Switch sale to go down I said LESSON the people that going to get the Mini are not going to get the Switch at all.

godslabrat, on 19 Apr 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

(Going to avoid the supply issues topic, it's been done to death)

I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I love the SNES more than the NES, if that were possible. So you'd think this would be better news for me. On the other hand, it's a lot harder to curate an "essentials" bundle for the SNES, because the library had very refined genres. The "best of" for the SNES was a very different list if you were into RPGs, compared to street fighting games, compared to racers. Plus, more of the top third-party titles are licensed.

But I totally want it.

So I'm thinking I should write something unique and original for my posts and totally explore my thoughts and feelings, and give insight into any given topic...

And then along comes Godslabrat. And he totally says pretty much what I was gonna say. He sums up my thoughts on the matter, and on top of that he writes it better than I was going to...

Good Job Godslabrat! I couldn't have said it better myself! :-D

I never had a SNES growing up, and I've never owned one as an adult either, but I've been itching for a decent way to play the original Star Fox without laggy emulation for a long time now so I'd probably buy one if they included Star Fox. If they actually produce enough of them that I can find one this time that is.

• Like 1

I think the list of games for SNES would be less like a list of "Essentials" and more like a "Greatest Hits" album,...But hopefully with a few curveballs and oddities (B-Sides if you will) thrown in...Like it could be filled with great games (Some of each genre to a degree), but surely some of your favorites won't be there, especially the obscure titles. But maybe some of the more rare collectibles (Earthbound) will be there...Like I'd Expect Chrono Trigger, but be happily Surprised to find Breath Of Fire*...

*If that makes any sense

The SNES v NES is interesting in this case to me. These are already for people that aren't going the pi or other emulation route. The nice thing for me about the NES classic (if I ever saw one) is I get something I expect to have Nintendo reliability (which I consider to be historically very good). I have an NES and a number of games but the NES loader tends to be a little bit of a finicky thing to keep happy. In the case of my SNES it still just works. I'm admittedly a bigger fan of the SNES, mostly for the RPGs which might never get licensed, still a fan. But my SNES also still works great. I suppose the out of the box HDMI is still a selling point but it's something I don't really care about even though it is a very interesting system to me. I have no intention of buying an SNES mini unless it's really easy and cheap.

• Like 2

So I'm thinking I should write something unique and original for my posts and totally explore my thoughts and feelings, and give insight into any given topic...

And then along comes Godslabrat. And he totally says pretty much what I was gonna say. He sums up my thoughts on the matter, and on top of that he writes it better than I was going to...

Good Job Godslabrat! I couldn't have said it better myself! :-D

Thanks, man.

• Like 1

Well if my repro sales are any indication of demand. The snes will have a demand 10 times that of the nes. Therefore If this is released there is no way possible Nintendo can even fathom the demand for it. Like I said in the other thread I will be preordering as many of these as I can. I suggest you all do the same or at least one for yourself.

• Like 1

SNES portable clone (not 100% accurate but very good) and SNES flash cart... I doubt I'd jump on an official Nintendo product that is locked to 30 games. Zelda and Super Metroid, maybe Mario RPG but a lot of SNES games that I like aren't by Nintendo and I doubt it'd be made available on SNES mini.

• Like 1