IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

Tanooki -- justify it however you like (I do the same kind of thing in my head), but these are roms in a box with nice controllers. :-)

Schizo -- we'll likely never know Nintendo's reasoning. Most (but not all) of the SNES games available on 3DS are in the Mini. I'm through trying to guess what they'll do next.

I wonder if "eject" is going to be the home button this time around, or if it's like the cartridge port cover on the NES Classic Edition and is just there for aesthetics?

Actually, I bet it's how you release the controller port cover to reveal the hidden Classic Controller ports.

• Like 1

LOL yeah! There's also a button to unlock Donkey along Country 2 and 3 in there, and a code for $100 off a Nintendo Switch. Void where prohibited, some restrictions apply.

I don't think it's so outlandish that there's some sort of latch.

Then again, I suppose it's more likely that it works like those little doors at the front of CRT's did in the 1990's and 2000's that often hid a front set of composite inputs and additional buttons. Not like one is going to have a need to regularly close and open the controller port cover, so having the eject button form some sort of latch release probably is overkill I suppose.

Edited by Atariboy

You might be right -- I just think it's silly to have moving parts or bits that are easily broken off in a device like this. I find it odd that they were so keen on replicating the look of the old SNES controller ports they would make a flap door for them. The NES Classic could have had a flip-open lid (and it looks like it should), but they didn't.

Nintendo is unpredictable, that's for sure.

That wouldn't surprise me if it did drop to reveal Wii style jacks. It would be cheaper to keep with what they already designed and just hide it behind a stylish flap that shows SNES jacks.

Justification or not, sure it's a ROM box with 2 nice controllers, but I'll stick with the fact Starfox2 is my driving interest. The rest is just some very nice gravy. Truth be told I think I own every cart on that except for Kirby's Dream Course, SF2 Turbo, and obviously Starfox2 legitimately so (have a custom cart a friend made years ago.) All those other games I have now almost every single one I've had since the 90s and 2-3 of those were aftermarket even then while the rest were new buys. It's hard to argue they didn't do well making that list of titles.

We already know it drops down to reveal the Wii controller ports (See Greg2600's picture above), since the pictures on the Japanese site confirm how they connect to the system. And we already had Classic Controller compatibility confirmed which tells us that controller standard is being maintained here.

The only question I think that remains is for the North American model. I've seen some that said we'll have a split controller port door unlike the Japanese/European counterpart, allowing you to keep the second controller port door closed if you only have one controller connected.

The source of this information, I don't know. Might just be message board nonsense since Nintendo is shipping two controllers and likely expects most to have both connected to the system. But the basic details of the controllers themselves are now confirmed.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Ugh I hate systems that do that completely. My first annoyance with that oddly was Sega of all things, the Master System and that uncomfortable side based controller cord attachment point. It's not like anyone before them made the smart choice of not playing it where the fingers have to go. Yet on a system it's more of a problem especially in a confined area as it's just a big wired space pig. I was looking at a Core Grafx PCE and those idiots built it that way too in Japan. :(

• 2 months later...

Apparently the Target pre-orders sold out in literally one minute once they went online. Ugh.

If a product isn't going to be available in reasonable numbers, I just don't understand why they release it, much less advertise it. Nintendo emails me occasionally to tell me about it...but if they're not going to make enough so I can buy it, why would they simply taunt me so?

• Like 1

If a product isn't going to be available in reasonable numbers, I just don't understand why they release it, much less advertise it. Nintendo emails me occasionally to tell me about it...but if they're not going to make enough so I can buy it, why would they simply taunt me so?

Because they're not taunting you, they're disregarding you. If Nintendo sent you an e-mail about the SNES Mini, it's not because they actually expect you to purchase it yourself, they just want you to spread the word about it, through social media and whatnot (which is exactly what you did above) so that they're absolutely sure that the dismal number of units they will produce will find a buyer, and that all their stocks will sell out in a manner of minutes. Having such a toy console sell out quickly is good for Nintendo's reputation among investors and other assorted "money people" who have a stake in the company. Whether you personally score a SNES Mini or not is the least of their concerns.

I'm sure the people here could tell all kinds of stories about how Nintendo plays by its own rules and doesn't care if their own fan base disagrees with their business decisions, but let me give you at least one example: Yesterday, just out of curiosity, I investigated whether GBA games are available on the 3DS Virtual Console. It turns out that they are not, but a few GBA titles were available a few years ago. Turns out that at a time when the 3DS wasn't selling so well, they offered a dozen or so GBA titles, which were later removed from their list of downloadable games (I got this info from a Youtube video I stumbled upon). I would gladly give Nintendo money right now so I could legally download and install Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission on my 2DS, but that ain't gonna happen, because to Nintendo, I don't really count as a customer. They'd rather try to persuade me to spend my money on other 2DS/3DS games which I don't care about. 'Cause that's just how they think, and how they operate.

Actually! The GBA games on the 3DS were part of an early 3DS Apology/Adopters program.

Anybody who bought and registered their 3DS before a certain time got 10 free NES games and 10 free GBA games. The NES games all got an actual release but the GBA titles were exclusive to "3DS Ambassadors".

They were never delisted... They just were never listed in the first place. :P

• Like 1

Actually! The GBA games on the 3DS were part of an early 3DS Apology/Adopters program.

Anybody who bought and registered their 3DS before a certain time got 10 free NES games and 10 free GBA games. The NES games all got an actual release but the GBA titles were exclusive to "3DS Ambassadors".

They were never delisted... They just were never listed in the first place. :P

Yep, that's the info I learned. Thanks for clarifying the details. :)

But the point is that since it's confirmed that GBA games can run on the 3DS, why didn't Nintendo milk that cash cow?

Well, today I can understand somewhat, since the 3DS is nearing the end of its commercial life. But the 3DS has been around for quite a while and Nintendo (once again) didn't care enough about its fan base to offer them something they would have really liked to own legally.

Go figure. :ponder:

• Like 2

They're basically emulated straight up with no VC frontend tossed on it so they run as they would on a real GBA. Since the hardware isn't 100% compatible backwards to the chipset of the GBA that's why certain games from a series of a franchise were put in it and not others because they'd run 100% right with no added effort. I have the Ambassador set as I got that system when it first popped up. I think think by this point it's pure BS they won't let anyone else get a crack at them.

I'm just going to ride this thing out and see how it goes when it drops in a few weeks. I'll try and get one, but will I overpay grossly for it? Not likely going to happen. I'd almost encourage some thieves to find a way to hack Starfox2 out of it and pay a bootlegger to throw it on a cart like the existing non-finished(or at least not refined) version of Starfox2 that's out there already.

• Like 2

Hori is getting in on the action with a controller reminiscent of their Super Famicom design. Can be preordered on Amazon Japan (No clue on if it will appear in the west).

New:

10b73f86-2c84-4d44-84cc-fe9f90f693ee._SR

Old:

hqdefault.jpg

Too bad that there aren't any shooters here. The included games that would benefit from autofire already have the functionality built-in for their primary weapon, as best as I can recall (Contra, Mega Man, and Super Metroid are what I'm thinking of). Will be nice elsewhere in the Wii/Wii U family though, or on the NES Classic.

And I don't care for what they've done with the face buttons. Either keep it original, or go Sega style with their six button layout if they're dead set on accommodating Street Fighter fans. Instead, this looks unconventional and unlikely to be the best layout. At least they kept the shoulder bumpers...

And if they're not going to be 100% faithful, stick a darn home button on the thing (Or replace the "slow-motion" slider that nobody ever used with a home button). Instead you'll still have to use the reset button on the console itself to reach the dashboard from the looks of things (Or the home button on a Wiimote if it's on the Wii/Wii U).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I don't know if they were back in the early 90s in Japan, but I remember at least US based fans going nuts over the Super Gameboy controller they made and some retro style stuff and arcade sticks after once they started to have a US presence from a mix of local sales by them and imports. They have totally reliable construction and quality with their stuff which appears Nintendo has taken stock with given those solid lines of accessories with license for the Switch that got a global release.

Were the Horis popular controllers? I have the Turbo version of it which I bought and then NEVER used for over 25 years because dumb me didn't realize that it wouldn't work in a TG16. :lol:

HORIs Rock!

Many of them are my favorite controllers! So is that one you have for SNES? (And were you wanting me to take it off your hands...at a nice reasonable price?)...

No it's for the PCE.. I actually have used it now since I finally got a Duo a year ago. But it was totally NIB for decades.

I blame the lack of information back then.. I simply assumed TG16 and PCE were compatible hardware. :P

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

HORIs Rock!

Many of them are my favorite controllers! So is that one you have for SNES? (And were you wanting me to take it off your hands...at a nice reasonable price?)...

I had a Hori controller for my Game Cube to play GB/GBC/GBA games with the Game Boy Player. I absolutely loved it. It was perfect in every way. :D

• Like 1