IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

I felt that way from early on too. They were thinking a smaller group of die hards or casuals who had something long ago would see it as a cute affordable piece of junk to throw under the Christmas tree and instead it turned into a rabid nerdgasm that then drew the ire of scalper garbage who made it a true gaming unicorn to find one of them out at a store, even more so at retail where they could bot slam stuff into submission due to idiot shops not limited 1 per account.

SNES while tricky to find is cupcake compared to the NES and it still is in production and run out in decent numbers given the sales figures Nintendo has given so far. With the NES just being repackaged and rereleased again it should come up to a level of availability the NES had but I doubt they'd try and out do it unless some internal data supports people would go at it.

• Like 2

My thought from all of this is that Nintendo (Before the release of the NES Classic) was looking at the Plug and Play Market, perhaps while gathering some data from their own VC Market, which I consider Modern Gamers, some of whom collect, are also into Retro, or have nostalgia. After all Plug and Plays had existed before, but none was ever at this level; Both in terms of quality and nostalgia (and looking like a Miniature of the real deal). Then their marketing crew probably realized the real potential lies more in the Casual/Nostalgia Market. Or this may have been an unintended consequence. At any rate, they underestimated the Casual/Nostalgia Market, and the Hardcore Nintendo fans which drove purchases...The Unicorn Effect drove publicity (which may have in turn added to even more Casual/Nostalgia Market awareness of the Minis) and added brand cachet, so they went with it.

• Like 1

Not sure where to put this. I was in GameXChange earlier and I happened to see an NES Classic Edition (no box) on the rack. I asked the attendant how much it was and she said $199.95 :ponder:

Are these things really selling for two bills or is it local price gouging? Not that it matters much as I already have the NES Classic, Famicom Classic, and SNES Classic (North American), but that's ridiculous.

• Like 1

Not sure where to put this. I was in GameXChange earlier and I happened to see an NES Classic Edition (no box) on the rack. I asked the attendant how much it was and she said $199.95 :ponder:

Are these things really selling for two bills or is it local price gouging? Not that it matters much as I already have the NES Classic, Famicom Classic, and SNES Classic (North American), but that's ridiculous.

Some stores like to do [what I call] ebay pricing. Although I haven't been there in ages, we used to have a little hole in the wall retro place, that liked to do ebay pricing, ...but not for everything and not always. If you're talking a NEW NES Classic, then I'd say yes about $130-$200, so $200 is at the very high end of the scale, give or take..But used? Nope that's high! She's high! Price gouging for sure!

• Like 1

Especially since Nintendo is going to release it again.

I wonder if Nintendo settled on one restocking of the SNES Classic in 2018 and decided to call it a day?

I'm in my local Wal-Mart pretty regularly and always take a stroll through electronics to see if there's a deal on something. SNES Classic Editions were a regular item from before Christmas until a couple of weeks ago, with nothing since then the last couple of times I've been there.

Seems like they've largely fulfilled their promise. I'm not sure it ever reached the point where you could buy it at will from any major retailer online that stocks electronics (But then again, Nintendo doesn't want to produce so many that suddenly when demand is largely satisfied, they end up with a significant amount of stock left over). But most that wanted one had an opportunity from what I've seen to buy one without waiting in long lines or paying scalper prices.

Stinks for someone that did want one, but fell through the cracks and wasn't able to for one reason or another. I'm sure that Trinity isn't alone, so hopefully this isn't the end of them.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I wonder if Nintendo settled on one restocking of the SNES Classic in 2018 and decided to call it a day?

I'm in my local Wal-Mart pretty regularly and always take a stroll through electronics to see if there's a deal on something. SNES Classic Editions were a regular item from before Christmas until a couple of weeks ago, with nothing since then the last couple of times I've been there.

Seems like they've largely fulfilled their promise. I'm not sure it ever reached the point where you could buy it at will from any major retailer online that stocks electronics (But then again, Nintendo doesn't want to produce so many that suddenly when demand is largely satisfied, they end up with a significant amount of stock left over). But most that wanted one had an opportunity from what I've seen to buy one without waiting in long lines or paying scalper prices.

Stinks for someone that did want one, but fell through the cracks and wasn't able to for one reason or another. I'm sure that Trinity isn't alone, so hopefully this isn't the end of them.

My question would be whether the SNES Mini has been as "available for purchase" in Canada as it has seemed to be in the US. To be honest, I haven't really monitored Wal-Mart, Best Buy or EB-Games because I've just been too busy, but the few times that I've been in those places lately, I've never seen even one single SNES Mini on a shelf.

• Like 1

My question would be whether the SNES Mini has been as "available for purchase" in Canada as it has seemed to be in the US. To be honest, I haven't really monitored Wal-Mart, Best Buy or EB-Games because I've just been too busy, but the few times that I've been in those places lately, I've never seen even one single SNES Mini on a shelf.

They have never been restocked in Canada as far as I've seen. It's not even in BestBuy or EB Games online catalog.

• Like 1

The only way I got one was thru EB-Games as a pre order before it actually was released. They only got 50 or 60 and had less than 5 preorders available when I got there 30 minutes after they opened. None since.

Too bad you hadn't crossed the border. Been easy to find in upstate NY like in Plattsburgh, which is just an easy drive for a Montrealer on I-87 in NY and whatever it's designated as in Canada to Montreal. Probably under an hour drive, including the wait at the border.

Edited by Atariboy

I haven't ever seen one here while just looking around...I might have missed them though. I'd only casually even notice (as I've already got one)...If it weren't for brickseek (or whatever) and catching some news right here (like about GameStops getting some in), I'd probably still be looking ;)

Seeing as I have the Super NT now, is there anybody here who would be interested in buying my SNES Classic?

I have all of the items that came in the box It's been opened and used, but I doubt it has 2 hours of play time on it. I'm not going to overcharge, but there is a slight catch... You'd be buying the SNES Classic and this carrying case I got for it.

Seeing as I'm not a scalping butt, I'll probably let it go for $100 plus shipping (IE actual cost of both items).

I'd prefer to give someone here a chance who doesn't already own one. I guess the best version is to leave a post on here requesting it and then message me.

EDIT - Please try to be honest about this. -_-

I'm hoping to get one to someone who genuinely wants one and can't find one.

EDIT 2 - Feel free to message about this incase it falls through, but otherwise this is currently pending with someone!

Edited by KeeperofLindblum
  • Like 1

When I picked up Blade Runner 2049 last month, I saw that the particular Bestbuy I was at had about a dozen SNES classics. But the thing is, they were on the customer pickup counter. So my guess is that they were bought online for in store pickup. I've yet to see any of the SNES classics actually on display on the store floor at any of my local Bestbuy stores. Just that one instance where I saw the dozen of them at customer pickup.

Wal-marts are odd in that when I went looking for them, my wife and I never could find them. Then on a local FB group it was announced that a Wal-mart about 30min in another town nearby had some in stock. I asked the guy posting to pick one up for me and he did. I met up with him later that evening to buy it back from him with a tiny bit extra to cover his time.

For grins my wife and I stopped at that wal-mart on the way back home. They still had like 9 or so left at the time! So we bought 4 more. Now this was before Christmas in fact it was right around thanksgiving I believe. But we have never seen them since at local stores.

So I honestly don't know the demand at this time but the supply where I live isn't there either.

Lindblum very nice of you, good to see that and hopefully an honest type takes it for keeps.

I'm so tempted to buy one of these things, just loathe to not use an original system in general but am not against a mod to HDMI-ize it. ;) Ugh, it seems very nice and I have the controllers to work with it enough. Plus we know how they can be tweaked (like the NT for NES) to maybe do more later if needed.

Seeing as I have the Super NT now, is there anybody here who would be interested in buying my SNES Classic?

I have all of the items that came in the box It's been opened and used, but I doubt it has 2 hours of play time on it. I'm not going to overcharge, but there is a slight catch... You'd be buying the SNES Classic and this carrying case I got for it.

Seeing as I'm not a scalping butt, I'll probably let it go for $100 plus shipping (IE actual cost of both items).

I'd prefer to give someone here a chance who doesn't already own one. I guess the best version is to leave a post on here requesting it and then message me.

EDIT - Please try to be honest about this. -_-

I'm hoping to get one to someone who genuinely wants one and can't find one.

EDIT 2 - Feel free to message about this incase it falls through, but otherwise this is currently pending with someone!

Good luck on your sale man. My Super NT is out for delivery by UPS atm, assuming they don't screw it up.

But please be aware that currently you can't play any of the FX and SA-1 games on the Super NT without a physical cartridge. I'm dying to try out Starfox 2 (the final version not the previous leaked beta) but I can't seem to beat the first stage of Starfox. Those slick bastards at Nintendo hid the game behind an achievement wall, LOL! :P

• Like 1

The first stage of Star Fox is causing you troubles? lol

If I wasn't worried that it would get lost in the mail, I'd say just send it to me and I'd have you good to go in 2 minutes. How many times have you tried, by the way? Forgive me if I'm completely off base here, but I wonder if you're thinking it's much harder than it actually is, and gave up perhaps too hastily?

You play a lot of games, so I'm surprised this one caused troubles for you. You can basically go through stage 1 of the center route (The easiest route) without ever firing your weapons before the boss. Just avoid the relatively slow moving enemies and roll your ship with a double click of either shoulder button to deflect any laser fire that gets close (when you're high enough above the ground to not strike it with a wing tip). And don't fly into buildings, lol.

And once or twice when the screen gets busy with enemies (There's a UFO that will fly over head at one point dropping enemies that you'll probably want to kill), shoot off one of your Nova bombs with the A button to clear the screen. And just stay dead center and low to the ground when you reach the falling pillars while not firing off your retro rockets, and you'll get through those with no trouble.

And if you want to kill the boss quicker, fly under the three arches at the very start of the game. It will cause a power up to appear at a tunnel just after the 3rd arch, that you can collect to upgrade your guns. At the boss, just shoot the obvious weak points and he'll be dead in about 30 seconds. Even quicker if you have a bomb or two left at this point and use them.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Star Fox stage one is hard?? That level is basically a training stage had they actually not marked a basic flying/target course as a training button. It's basically a live fire exercise before the game really picks up as it branches on stage 2.

Atari is right you can nearly just stay in the center and almost do nothing and survive stage one up to the boss barely firing a shot with strategic use of the roll and a bomb or two. Just fudge your way to stage 2 and just bail on it and the game unlocks.

The best way to wreck that boss, it opens the small door on the body first, blast into that as fast as possible, then slightly angle to the left and just bob your nose up/down still rapid firing to blow the 2 side launchers off. The front opens a new target and shoots a ball at you, roll te ball and fire like mad. If you're lucky you can wreck it doing just that and shooting the exposed big gaping engine in back as it pulls around for another pass. That boss can be wasted easily in like 30 seconds or so.

• Like 1

Thinking about this a bit more, are you perhaps just not used to a flight game with proper flight controls (i.e., to gain altitude, you pull back on the stick/down on the d-pad)?

There are four controller configurations. I never saw any need to mess with them myself since the default felt so natural, but the C and D configurations both offer an inverted d-pad mode so that you climb by pressing up and dive by pressing down on the d-pad.