IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

Seemed to work fine to me. The only issue I have run into so far was Duke Nukem 3D. Using the left thumb stick makes you switch through weapons when you turn right or left. There is probably a fix for this but I haven't looked into it yet.

By curiosity, was that one of those rare games that used the middle handle plus left handle arrangement? I am guessing since the vast majority of n64 games ignored the dpad or mirrored the analog stick, it is plausible that the dpad/analog on the classic controller may not map independently. If that's the case, then independent analog and digital durectional input may not be possible in "lefty" modes or games that used this position by default.

By curiosity, was that one of those rare games that used the middle handle plus left handle arrangement? I am guessing since the vast majority of n64 games ignored the dpad or mirrored the analog stick, it is plausible that the dpad/analog on the classic controller may not map independently. If that's the case, then independent analog and digital durectional input may not be possible in "lefty" modes or games that used this position by default.

I havent played the game on actual hardware since the 90s so I dont remember how the controls work. I think there is a lot of remapping options in retro arch though. I saw a video the other day of someone playing Mario64 with the SNES controller so there should be a way to fix it.

Seemed to work fine to me. The only issue I have run into so far was Duke Nukem 3D. Using the left thumb stick makes you switch through weapons when you turn right or left. There is probably a fix for this but I haven't looked into it yet.

I havent played the game on actual hardware since the 90s so I dont remember how the controls work. I think there is a lot of remapping options in retro arch though. I saw a video the other day of someone playing Mario64 with the SNES controller so there should be a way to fix it.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/n64/197176-duke-nukem-64/faqs/9198

There are four types of controller set-up available to you, switching "Right

Handed" to "Left Handed" merely reverses the operations of the D-Pad or C-

Buttons. These settings are:

CONTROL STICK LOOK MODE (Default) [NOTE: Generally known as "Turok" style]

---------------------------------

Look around: Analogue stick

Move forward: C-up

Move backward: C-down

Strafe: C-left, C-right

Jump / fly up / swim up: R

Crouch / fly down / swim down: B

Fire weapon: Z

Use: A

Select weapons: D-pad left, D-pad right

Select item: D-pad up, D-pad down

Use Item: L

CONTROL STICK MOVE MODE

-----------------------

Look up/down: D-Pad up, D-Pad down

Move around: Analogue stick

Jump / fly up / swim up: C-up

Crouch / fly down / swim down: C-down

Use: R

Select weapons: A, B

Select item: D-pad left, D-pad right

Use Item: L

SHIFT MODE 1

------------

Jump / fly up / swim up: B

Crouch / fly down / swim down: A

Use: R

Select weapons: R+C-left, R+C-right

Select item: R+C-up, R+C-down

Use Item: R+Z

SHIFT MODE 2

------------

Jump / fly up / swim up: B

Crouch / fly down / swim down: R+B

Use: A

Select weapons: R+C-left, R+C-right

Select item: R+C-up, R+C-down

Use Item: R+A

• Like 2

Given the way Dpads / Left sticks are often used interchangeably in many controller adapters and modern games, implementation translated from one medium or controller style to another has margin for error if not finely tuned for each game. A simple litmus test for control type is to tilt your stick very slightly. If your character goes from dead stop to full speed, it's dgital control and you should use the Dpad. If your character gradually accelerates, you should use the thumb stick.

I generally prefer to use the stick for games which support analog control, Dpad for games that don't. Some games are in between however. 3D World / Land seemed to act like a 16-way Dpad on the left stick. Your character starts and stops instantly using a button for run, and seemed to have stepped angles rather than full 360 degree movement.

Also some twitchy retro style SHMUP indie games allow for speed modulation using the analog stick, but I perform better paying these constrained to the 8-way Dpad.

Also some controllers such as this one,

n64_front_800x653_sm.png

or the N64 VC layout, would perform badly in games that require the middle-left holding arrangement and simultaneous usage of both the Dpad and thumbstick. This controller is awesome btw, highly recommend it for n64 fans.

• Like 1

Settled down with Super Mario 3D World tonight and remembered that it had Classic Controller support. Plugged in a SNES Classic controller thinking how good of a match it would be for the game, and initially all was well and I was enjoying a 3D Mario platformer with my favorite controller.

Alas though, it falls apart at the start of level 1-2 when you have to go down a pipe at the start of the stage. You need ZL and ZR to long jump, enter pipes, etc. And the SNES Classic controller only has L/R buttons, which don't do anything. :(

Sort of a bizarre decision. While the SNES Classic controller was several years away when this game was developed (Ignoring the rare Club Nintendo controller that overseas users could get), we did have this.

post-2825-0-77826800-1538630139_thumb.jpeg

ZL and ZR are comfortably placed on a Wii Classic Controller Pro, but apparently Nintendo's SM3DW team forgot about this earlier iteration of it that so many Wii owners bought in the early years of the Wii. Who would prefer ZL/ZR on this to the regular L/R buttons?

Heck, how many people that ever owned this controller even depressed ZL/ZR on their Wii Classic Controller? I know I never have, which shows how commonly used these two buttons were. Yet that's what SM3DW expects you to use.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Settled down with Super Mario 3D World tonight and remembered that it had Classic Controller support. Plugged in a SNES Classic controller thinking how good of a match it would be for the game, and initially all was well and I was enjoying a 3D Mario platformer with my favorite controller.

Alas though, it falls apart at the start of level 1-2 when you have to go down a pipe at the start of the stage. You need ZL and ZR to long jump, enter pipes, etc. And the SNES Classic controller only has L/R buttons, which don't do anything. :(

Sort of a bizarre decision. While the SNES Classic controller was several years away when this game was developed (Ignoring the rare Club Nintendo controller that overseas users could get), we did have this.

attachicon.gifWiiClassicController.jpeg

ZL and ZR are comfortably placed on a Wii Classic Controller Pro, but apparently Nintendo's SM3DW team forgot about this earlier iteration of it that so many Wii owners bought in the early years of the Wii. Who would prefer ZL/ZR on this to the regular L/R buttons?

Heck, how many people that ever owned this controller even depressed ZL/ZR on their Wii Classic Controller? I know I never have, which shows how commonly used these two buttons were. Yet that's what SM3DW expects you to use.

The original classic controller had analog functionality, but I don't think any game made usage of it. Wii Pro CC and Wii-U Pro (and Switch Pro) lack analog triggers.

Wii-U was hit and miss as to which controllers games supported. Some supported wiimote cc, some wii-u pro only. Those Gamecube inspired controllers by pdp and hori come to mind. Did nog work in every game. :P

• 4 weeks later...

That link puts hacked versions with "every SNES game ever" on top. If I sort by cheapest first, stupid 2-dollar "hacking guides" pop up, followed by clone consoles. I hate it when something is popular enough to cesspool things up to the point a person can't even do a simple product/price search.

I like that you can buy this for the normal price at normal retail stores now, which I believe was your point. No more scalpers.

• Like 3

That link puts hacked versions with "every SNES game ever" on top. If I sort by cheapest first, stupid 2-dollar "hacking guides" pop up, followed by clone consoles. I hate it when something is popular enough to cesspool things up to the point a person can't even do a simple product/price search.

I like that you can buy this for the normal price at normal retail stores now, which I believe was your point. No more scalpers.

Sorry about the not the best link. I realised it after I posted it. But yeah, take that scalpers. :)

• Like 3

All that helps, sold listings, US only and add in -hack -hacked -mod and that filters out most the scumbag systems for the originals. There's no scalp room on them at all now, so it should be interesting to see what happens this holiday as they're well seeded out there into retail now and they continue to roll through stock and restock too.

• Like 1

Agreed. All those "400+ games" hacked systems for sale at $139 are cringeworthy. Many of those near the top are sponsored ads too so scalpers know what theh are doing. But if you're stupid enough to pay full retard prices on eBay for stuff you can find cheaply anywhere else (store or online retailer websites), well it is said a fool and their money are soon parted... :roll:

The bigger issue with all this hacking tomfoolery is people getting secondhand sales of hacked systems on down the road might assume they were always supposed to be like this.

• Like 1

The bigger issue with all this hacking tomfoolery is people getting secondhand sales of hacked systems on down the road might assume they were always supposed to be like this.

That would be amusing and kind of sad, but I don't think I'd consider that bigger than people selling and profiting from ROMs.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone still wants one of these, I'd suggest looking at Brickseek's Wal-Mart tracker. It's been marked down 25% at two locations locally and is now matching the NES Classic's $60 MSRP.

I don't know how widespread it is, but I did confirm it at one of those stores last evening.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That it is. I hadn't seen one since about Christmas time, yet yesterday I found one by itself in the Meijer game case so whenever that gets discovered it'll be gone if it's not already. Scalpers must be chomping at the bit for the real shortage at retail to hit, for those patient enough to realize when they couldn't pull the NES CE scam of before that holding onto them long enough would fix that if impatience didn't set in.