Portability

Ease of use

Solid small library in one spot

No setup required

HDMI

It's legal (no ripped ROMs+emulator)

(and let's face it) Nostalgia

Cost savings vs buying each on VC and a system, or buying the originals by far

...and in the case game #21, never released before and hot property no less.

How does everyone explain the popularity of these things? They're just locked down emulator boxes, after all. Yes, they're cute, but that doesn't seem like enough.

They may just be emulator boxes but they're emulator boxes that plug straight into your TV and are ready to play right out of the box with no setup or technical know how required. Feeling intimidated by the setup and configuration is what keeps most people from getting into a Pi system (myself included) and these emulator boxes eliminate that by coming pre-built and ready to play at the push of a button. It also helps that they're official Nintendo products, which makes them inherently collectible.

I could think of a few easy reasons.

Portability

Ease of use

Solid small library in one spot

No setup required

HDMI

It's legal (no ripped ROMs+emulator)

(and let's face it) Nostalgia

Cost savings vs buying each on VC and a system, or buying the originals by far

...and in the case game #21, never released before and hot property no less.

Also, quality controllers. Plug-n-plays often get that wrong.

The Japanese counterpart has been announced.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2017/170627.html

Slightly different game list. And it shows the controllers plugged into the system, with the original style controller ports appearing to be a hinged cover.

img_03.jpg

Sort of odd and fragile looking, with the priority misplaced on it looking original without controllers plugged in rather than how the system actually would appear when it's setup for use. Seems like something more elegant could've been done to have it resemble the original system with controllers plugged in, while also still supporting the Classic Controller standard.

I wonder if "eject" is going to be the home button this time around, or if it's like the cartridge port cover on the NES Classic Edition and is just there for aesthetics? It would be clever to hit that when swapping between games, but the reset button did the job the first time around and one less button is obviously cheaper.

Edited by Atariboy

Good point.

And piggybacking Jin there. Setting up the emulator. For some it is a total snap if you have know how, even then sometimes it is not. I'm no Android expert on the back end of things, but there or Windows, I can not get Neo Geo to work on an emulator from the retroarch family which in turn I think also RetroPI uses which is a real problem. I'd lovingly setup a Pi box for some stuff, but when I hit hurdles like that it's a game stopper. Supposedly I'm using the so called wrong ROM set, but how wrong can I get when I'm using a mix of single downloads and the chosen/licensed to buy ROM sets from SNK that sold that Humble Bundle of 23~ games? None of that at all will ever load up in that environment as it reports an empty directory, but if i decided to supposedly download a 120GB full mame current archive to pull the 100-200MB of NG carts out of that mess they'd work. I call crap on that when Neo.EMU, Final Burn Alpha, and KWAKS(sp) love it just fine?

If someone sold me a Neo Geo box for a respectable price that ran off both portability and tv, I'd buy it...oh wait, they did, then killed it, Neo-GeoX and now it's a flipping ripoff from scalpers. Then again the emulator on there is very broken due to Tommo's tinkering, but hackers did clean it up and with a tweaked SD card made it take ANY SNK cart. Kind of a trade off. But see all that I wrote, HOOPS. The SNES and NES CE have no hoops, it works, extremely well, and no bs.

You'd spend far more going that route, but obviously you benefit from the ability to enjoy the full library.

This again beats Virtual Console pricing. One could expect each of these to cost at least $8 to download on modern Nintendo hardware, with I believe Earthbound going for a premium on the Wii U of at least a dollar (As would Star Fox 2, I'm sure). So over $160 in VC content here, which is even better than last year's release and with perhaps no 2nd tier inclusions this time around (Was anyone clamoring for the NES port of Pac-Man?).

No replacement for the real deal, but from a value proposition, I don't think this one can be criticized.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

You know, I was actually thinking of getting one of these because it's one of the few mainstream consoles I don't own but... $80 seems pretty price for what? 21 games?

Seriously thinking of going with a SNES and and Everdrive...

Oh for sure! if anyone here is more than a passing SNES fan and doesn't have a regular old SNES and an Everdrive today, I really don't know what the heck you are doing. Until something better comes out these things are mandatory! :) You'll need actual carts though for incompatible games like Yoshi's Island, SMRPG, Starfox, etc. however.

Still though.. it shouldn't preclude you from wanting the SNES mini. You know you want one :P

• Like 1

Nice to see there are some games on here that currently can't be run on a flash cart. Star Fox 2 in particular is a nice addition. I was thinking of buying a repro of it, but with the SNES Classic, I'd rather just grab one of those (assuming I can). Here's to hoping Nintendo actually manufactures a decent amount of these this time so people who want to actually play their units can buy them at MSRP.

Seriously thinking of going with a SNES and and Everdrive...

You should probably do this anyway. The Super Nintendo is a fantastic system and you're doing yourself a disservice by not having one.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

If this console gets hacked, I hope its Star Fox 2 ROM gets dumped. I am very curious to see if Nintendo will be using a later build than the dump that is currently available. Dylan Cuthbert said in a 2015 Nintendo Life interview that the final Japanese ROM, which he had, contained several elements missing from the available dumps : http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/06/feature_the_full_story_behind_star_fox_2_nintendos_most_famous_cancellation Of course, once you get the dump someone will need to put back in all the flashing and strobing effects Nintendo removes from its older titles to avoid triggering epileptic seizures and getting sued for them.

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 2

I like how Nintendo has made it a little more clear upfront that it is meant to be a limited edition device only available until the end of the year. A lot of the frustrations people had with the NES Classic Edition seemed to be caused by the impression that it was meant to be a mass market item like a Flashback and, therefore, it felt like there was a stock shortage. However, a limited edition collectors item helps to address those concerns because by definition there is suppose to be a limited stock.

Starfox 2 ROM definitely needs to be hacked and find its way onto my Everdrive :)

I'll employ the same tactic used to get this one as I did my NES Classic...but I do hope that Nintendo will do more to meet demand. PFFFFFFT, what the hell am I thinking?!?!!?...I still haven't seen ONE SWITCH (wait..I did see one bundle, ONCE) in the months it was released, and the only NES Classic I saw was the one I bought.

So yeah, this will be a bigger shitshow than the first go around.

But hey! At least it contains two controllers. Bonus! And the look to be compatible with the Wii, and hence, the NES Classic. Cool beans.

• Like 1

Same here! I never got into the Star Fox series until Star Fox Adventures on the GameCube, but that game is still my all time favorite action-adventure game and I've really enjoyed all the other games in the Star Fox series that I've played since then too (Assault, Command, and 64 3D). I've still never played the original outside of laggy emulation though, so the SNES Mini will definitely be worth the purchase for me just to have an official release of Star Fox 1 & 2. :)

Right on man. :) I really love Adventures as well. I bought it day one after school in my high school days. ^^ Still love it even though it's a Zelda clone. :D

Star Fox 2 is such a fun game too I can't wait to finally have a legit way to play it. :3 It'll be great if we can both pick up one and enjoy our Star Fox fun time. :3

• Like 1

If this console gets hacked, I hope its Star Fox 2 ROM gets dumped. I am very curious to see if Nintendo will be using a later build than the dump that is currently available. Dylan Cuthbert said in a 2015 Nintendo Life interview that the final Japanese ROM, which he had, contained several elements missing from the available dumps : http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/06/feature_the_full_story_behind_star_fox_2_nintendos_most_famous_cancellation Of course, once you get the dump someone will need to put back in all the flashing and strobing effects Nintendo removes from its older titles to avoid triggering epileptic seizures and getting sued for them.

I'm counting on that happening very soon after the September 29th release. By Halloween, maybe?

Agreed.. it is just an emulation box after all. :)

Yes, so no SuperFX chips needed!`

I have my cartridges of Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, Kirby's Super Star and Super Mario RPG and an sd2SNES, so I'm all set playing everything here except for Star Fox 2. I have a spare Stunt Race FX in case I want a Star Fox 2 conversion. No duds in the provided game selection.

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 1

Starfox2 alone is my thing really with this, outside of that laundry list of good reasons earlier ago.

That said that one point, the 5 special chip titles. Kirby's Super Star, Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, and Star Fox 2. Put the proto one to the side. Consideration for cart only with a good body/sticker on the lower side -- those first two games you'd be lucky to get for $40/each, Yoshi is $25, and Star Fox is $10. You're at $115 for the 4 titles. The proto/hack of SF2 usually goes around another $50 on average. All those can not and will likely never work on the SD2SNES let alone the Everdrive. So you get a legal $80 box, or $115 to play the same legit games (and $165 with the bootleg.) Feels like a savings to me, and this discounts the other 26 titles entirely.

If one wanted to split hairs, the rest of the games range around what...$5 for F-Zero to like $200 for Earthbound?

Oh and I agree schizo, it's good they're promising a lot more supply and a tentative close date of 12/31/17 but they did say they'd look at how things are going so 2018 isn't off the table. Don't be surprised if like the NES they add another 90 days to the pot or so. I don't think they want to leave as much money on the table this time.

Perhaps my old guesses were right, could we see a locked down 8bit Gameboy in 2018 or maybe a N64 box with 20 games? Who knows. We just know what the xray'd and ID's chips of the NES unit can do and what people hacked into it and Nintendo wise, N64 games ran full frame and lesser stuff clearly too. They could milk this hardware for years between stand alone N64, GB, GBC, and GBA.

• Like 1

Starfox 2 ROM definitely needs to be hacked and find its way onto my Everdrive :)

This is the only part of this release I'm mildly interested in. The current Starfox 2 rom floating around in the Everdrive packs/ repro carts is a fan translated and patched together based on a mostly completed prototype build. It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo actually has a legit completed version, or if they simply toss in the one the fans finished.

Edited by keepdreamin

Hmm.. when I bought a repro Starfox 2 on Ebay earlier this year it was pretty easy to find them. Now I don't see any. I wonder if someone put the hammer down? :P

and moving on.. this made me lol :lol:

ny9v9u.jpg

Edited by NE146
  • Like 7

Oh and I agree schizo, it's good they're promising a lot more supply and a tentative close date of 12/31/17 but they did say they'd look at how things are going so 2018 isn't off the table. Don't be surprised if like the NES they add another 90 days to the pot or so. I don't think they want to leave as much money on the table this time.

It isn't off the table but their wording seems to be similar to the NES Classic Edition to just leave the option open just in case they ever need to use it but as of now it is only for this year:

Throughout April, NOA territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year. We encourage anyone interested in obtaining this system to check with retail outlets regarding availability. We understand that it has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize. We have paid close attention to consumer feedback, and we greatly appreciate the incredible level of consumer interest and support for this product.

We aren’t providing specific numbers, but we will produce significantly more units of Super NES Classic Edition than we did of NES Classic Edition.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition is currently planned to ship from Sept. 29 until the end of calendar year 2017. At this time, we have nothing to announce regarding any possible shipments beyond this year.

Our long-term efforts are focused on delivering great games for the Nintendo Switch system and continuing to build momentum for that platform, as well as serving the more than 63 million owners of Nintendo 3DS family systems. We are offering Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition in special recognition of the fans who show tremendous interest our classic content.

Anyway, I still believe that the NES Classic Edition was an experiment to see if people are interested in bundles for future uses like the Virtual Console and online subscription service and to increase the demand for them by using it as marketing hype to make them seem like good deals on the Switch and/or New 3DS. Before this experiment was done this was how they described the classic library with the subscription service:

Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

But after the experiment was done they changed it into more of a bundled NES Classic type deal without the Super NES games anymore but with the possibility still open for them:

Nintendo Switch Online subscribers will have ongoing access to a library of classic games with added online play. Users can play as many of the games as they want, as often as they like, as long as they have an active subscription.

Nintendo Switch Online subscribers will be able to play a wide variety of classic games, including Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario. More games will be announced at a later date. At launch the classic game library will include NES games. Super NES games continue to be under consideration, but we have nothing further to announce at this time.

That makes me think that maybe since the Super NES games won't be there at launch and it has an NES Classic Edition like bundling to it that maybe it will actually be the NES Classic Edition on the Switch. Like the GUI for it would be on it and when new games are added they would show up in the list. I mean the GUI even kind of looks like an 8-bit version of the Switch's with the games as big icons in the middle and all the options on the tops and bottoms. But the most interesting part is that the GUI also looks like it could have touch in mind. For an example, the save states showing up as big screenshot icons with wings that you can move left or right and then drop into the Suspend Point List, it does bouncing animations if it can't be dropped because something is already there, it can be dropped into a trash bin to delete, etc. In other words, it looks like you could touch to access the menus, you could scroll through the games with your fingers, pull down on the screen to open the Suspend Point List, and then drag the save point screenshot around, etc. as if they designed it for the possibility of adding in touch controls later.

Anyway, I think the reason the Super NES games were taken out of the service and changed to just being in consideration, the service changed from one game a month to a more NES Classic Edition type bundling, the service changing to being launched in 2018 instead of the Fall with the Super NES Classic Edition taking its Fall spot and being discontinued at the end of the year, nothing being announced yet about the Virtual Console, etc. is because the Super NES Classic Edition is another part of this experiment/hyped marketing for this future subscription service. I mean they don't even really have a name for it yet because it has what appears to be a temporary generic name on their site by just being called "Classic Game Selection*" with the note being "*Product name subject to change." as if they are still figuring out how to go about this service, how the Virtual Console will play into it, etc. That is probably why when IGN asked Reggie about the Virtual Console coming to the Switch his answer was an explanation that they are still figuring out how to bring ALL digital legacy content to the fans:

We know that our fans, our players, want access to all of our digital content, we know that. What we're working through is, 'okay, what's going to be the best way to make that happen, to make that available?' Certainly, we recognize there's an appetite for all of our great legacy content.

Short version, I think these Classic Editions are experiments and beta tests for how this subscription service and the Virtual Console will work with bundled pricing and functionality while having this hype marketing strategy similar to their strategies with mobile, the Super Nintendo World theme park, etc. to get people interested in their IP and characters in hopes that it will draw them to their dedicated hardware like the New 3DS and especially the Switch.