IGNORED

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Rick Dangerous

Who's excited for this one?!

I have it for the Wii U and never bought any dlc packs (a good decision in hindsight.)

The main thing I am excited for, besides replaying the main game, is proper battle arenas. I always thought battle on the regular tracks didn't work particularly well. I missed the block fort type tracks from the N64 game.

Share your Mario Kart 8 Deluxe thoughts and news here!

Any new version or deluxe version of a Mario Kart game is always something to look forward to. I did get the DLC with the Wii U version but they are adding quite a bit more to this version which has me excited to play through and unlock everything again. I am excited for the battle arena's as well. It was definitely missed in MK8. My only hope is that we get a DLC to add Ganondorf into the game. It would be awesome to be able to race or battle him against Link.... I'm a huge Zelda fan so I may be alone with that wish...

I'll have it waiting in my mail box on Friday from Amazon along with it appears Puyo X Tetris. Despite them being out a different day, Amazon put the shipping order on both for 8 days from now. I really don't mind, kind of prefer it, though I wish I had that choice but it is free prime shipping after all. And then a month later I have Ultra Super Street Fighter II in the queue as well.

After that I'm going to be looking into RiME and that vita/ps3 port title Fate Extella which looks really nice.

Anyone planning to try to bet this with a motion control steering wheel?

I for one feel like I had enough of that on the Wii and will be playing this with the pro controller as I did on Wii U.

Still....Could be fun. I just feel like I have enough Wii wheel accessories to last me a lifetime.

The motion control supposedly is much more advanced on the Joy-Cons, so I doubt they ever do that even if Nintendo was feeling generous and didn't mind losing out on a few accessory sales in the name of goodwill (Accesory costs have been one of the biggest criticisms on the Switch so far).

I wish they'd support Wiimotes for non-motion purposes though. I've built up a nice variety of Classic Controllers for almost every situation for example, and it would be nice to know that they could be used on the Switch for stuff like Neo Geo downloads and a future Virtual Console.

That or a USB hub with Classic Controller controller ports on it would be nice to see.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Stopped at the local Target yesterday and they have Mario Kart decorations/advertising on display. Some of the shopping carts are stickered to look like karts, there are starting gate decals on the main doors, and the red balls outside are wrapped with Mario and Luigi faces. Fun! But the biggest surprise was seeing a Switch system available in the electronics department... first time I've seen one in a store.

• Like 2

Mine says arriving today by 8pm. I have to be honest though even though I bought it, I'm not all that excited. I knew I had played through MK8 on all cc's, but had absolutely zero recollection of it. I had to check gameplay videos on youtube to remember "ohhhh it's the one with the hangliders.. NOW I remember" :lol:

• Like 1

Initial impression is good. The graphics look fantastic and the controls are great. The loading time is cut in about half thankfully. So far the only thing that's annoying is it feels like they went even harder on the blue shell. That damn thing has got me on almost every race so far.

I just got done playing in handheld mode and was impressed to see that completing one cup only used up 6% battery life on lowest brightness setting. So technically you could beat a whole class on one charge and have a decent amount of battery left. That's pretty awesome in my book.

• Like 1

First impressions:

-Graphics a little sharper than Wii U (not really important to me)

-Wish I could reassign R and L to ZR and ZL, the R and L are just a little high on the pro controller to be perfectly comfortable.

-Nice to have extra DLC I never bothered to download on the Wii U version.

-Generally seems fun and awesome, looking forward to playing a ton of this game!!

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 1

Anyone planning to try to bet this with a motion control steering wheel?

I for one feel like I had enough of that on the Wii and will be playing this with the pro controller as I did on Wii U.

Still....Could be fun. I just feel like I have enough Wii wheel accessories to last me a lifetime.

I bought the Joycon wheels. It works quite well actually, more accurate than the wii wheels. :)

Initial impression is good. The graphics look fantastic and the controls are great. The loading time is cut in about half thankfully. So far the only thing that's annoying is it feels like they went even harder on the blue shell. That damn thing has got me on almost every race so far.

But you get a lot more megaphones, so if you're in first, just wait for the spiny to hover overhead and deploy it. some other observations are less of a delay when you wipe out, and Likatu is much faster than in previous games. Combined with autosteer, it's as if Nintendo is making the game too easy.

I have played 22 cups (88 races) so far with triple star finishes, much of it played with motion control. I'm nearly done with 100cc and not a single race I've placed other than first. AI vehicles seem seriously neutered. Honestly I don't see the point in collecting gold trophies since all characters are unlocked by default, the only benefit is the gold coins awarded to unlock kart parts.

I bought the Joycon wheels. It works quite well actually. :)

But you get a lot more megaphones, so if you're in first, just wait for the spiny to hover overhead and deploy it. some other observations are less of a delay when you wipe out, and Likatu is much faster than in previous games. Combined with autosteer, it's as if Nintendo is making the game too easy.

I have played 22 cups (88 races) so far with triple star finishes, much of it played with motion control. I'm nearly done with 100cc and not a single race I've placed other than first. AI vehicles seem seriously neutered. Honestly I don't see the point in collecting gold trophies since all characters are unlocked by default, the only benefit is the gold coins awarded to unlock kart parts.

Yes but the AI likes to first hit you with lightning making you drop it. Several times I have got hit with lightning, then a blue shell, then followed up with a red shell. This game tries very hard to keep first place changing between characters. It's like 60% racing 40% strategy.

Yes but the AI likes to first hit you with lightning making you drop it. Several times I have got hit with lightning, then a blue shell, then followed up with a red shell. This game tries very hard to keep first place changing between characters. It's like 60% racing 40% strategy.

It really didn't matter how many times I get hit when I'm half a lap ahead of everyone and gaining ground with every turbo boost. I hope 150cc ramps up the difficulty factor a lot because even 100cc mode feels pansy to me. And yes, I imediately disabled "hand holding" mode as soon as I realized it was on by default. All in all, I played a full cup (mushroom 50cc) with it on, and disabled it thereafter. I feel like I should at least be unlocking something slogging through all these gold trophies. In Wii-U version at launch, you had to work to unlock all characters and mirror mode.

And yeah they gave us 200cc with the free update which was refreshingly insane. 200cc mode, I found myself choosing cart combos with superior handling and poor speed/acceleration, because speed is your #1 enemy. Of course "hand holding" mode will completely break the challenge of playing in the 200cc class... :roll:

-Wish I could reassign R and L to ZR and ZL, the R and L are just a little high on the pro controller to be perfectly comfortable.

I don't understand; I only use ZL and ZR... What are L and R for?

I haven't played a lot yet but the pro controller is really confortable and this is the best use of the HD rumble I've seen so far (except for 1, 2, Switch). In Blaster Master Zero it was really disappointing...

I do believe that they serve the exact same function.

Oh sweet, switching to using those then...

When you hit "pause" it assigns power steering to R and use item to L. But if ZR and ZL do the same thing, i'd much rather use those as they are a more comfortable reach for me.