IGNORED

Could we start a thred for the Sega Master System ?

I am asking the mod or mods if we can start a thread on the Sega Master System. Other systems have their own threads, why not the Master System ?

What little I played of it in the late 80s made an impression on me. The red bull caffeine powered umpire in great baseball comes to mind.

We all know it played second fiddle to NES, but I think there are enough Master System fans, that the thread would do well

Just my 2 cents

• Like 2

I am asking the mod or mods if we can start a thread on the Sega Master System. Other systems have their own threads, why not the Master System ?

What little I played of it in the late 80s made an impression on me. The red bull caffeine powered umpire in great baseball comes to mind.

We all know it played second fiddle to NES, but I think there are enough Master System fans, that the thread would do well

Just my 2 cents

To be fair most of the comments would probably be non US based as the Master System did poorly in the states. It only did bongos in Europe and Brazil. Great system though lots of great games then again I always likes anything else more than Nintendo. Yup traded up my Atari 2600 for a 7800....that NES could not fool me I know I made the better choice. :?

• Like 1

I liked : Double Dragon, Shinobi, Outrun, Rtype, Rastan, Rampage, Pro Wrestling, Rambo, The wonderboy games, phantasy star, sonic the hedgehog, Golden Axe Warrior, Golvellis valley of doom, reggie Jackson baseball, walter peyton football, joe Montana nfl football, great golf, and alien syndrome.

My cousin when I was 9 was the only person I knew that had a master system, I loved the design of it, it said " I AM the 80s" lol

I knew a guy in middle school (so around 87 or 88) who had both an SMS and an NES with ROB. We weren't really good friends or anything. I was at his house maybe once or twice. I remember seeing the SMS, but don't remember if we played it or not or what we would have played. I remember playing Gyromite with two controllers because his ROB was broken or missing parts or something...

I have had my SMS for several years now... don't remember exactly when I got it. I've added a few games to it here and there and have 15 games for it, about half cart only. I enjoy it and play it occasionally... last thing I played on it was probably Altered Beast. Not the greatest of games, but it's okay.

I actually knew about the system in the United States since the 1980's, but I didn't get a Sega Master system growing up. It was a combination of reasons including me finally having a chance to get a NES back in 1991.

I bought a Sega Master system back when I was in college due to me being a fan of the Phantasy games on the Sega Genesis. I discovered the SMS had the original Phantasy Star in 1994 at a used Video game shop outside the city I live in, but didn't have a SMS convertor or a SMS game console.

There is a store a couple blocks away from the college I went to and it had a bunch of used video games and old game consoles including a Sega Master system. I bought my first SMS game in 1998 or 1999 since I saw a SMS game console in the store.

I did research on the Sega Master System online and my collection is still growing to this day. My collection does include Brazil SMS games, European SMS games, a reproduction cart of Japan only SMS games, and a couple Game Gear to SMS game conversion cartridges.

Based on my collection, I made the conclusion that the SMS sales were affected quite a bit from Nintendo's licensing practices. The system had a lot of potential and I felt NES 3rd games would've been great on the SMS such as Ducktales, Contra as examples.

Edited by 8th lutz

Castle of Illusion on SMS is one of the best games on the system, both for visuals, and gameplay. The music is also...well, good, considering the limitations of the chip.

Sonic games on thE SMS are also impressive :

Even if the games come with limtations; one notable difference is that when you are youched, you only lone one ring; that is because the SMS couldn't properly handle drawing several sprites, so the developeds opted for one ring instead.

Based on my experience on the SMS, These are my favorite games:

Solomon's key

Phantasy Star

Wonder boy 3: Dragon's Trap

Columns

Shanghai

R-Type

Shinobi

Outrun

Power Strike

Sonic the Hodgehog

Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World

Castle of Illusion

Bomber Raid

Zillion

Golden Axe Warrior

Rastan

Baku Baku

Alien Syndrome

Cool Spot

Fantasy Zone

Fantasy Zone 2

Gauntlet

Golvellius: Volley of Doom

Wonder Boy

Wonder Boy in Monsterland

Klax

Lemmings

Pacmania

Psycho Fox

Taito Chase HQ

Asterix

Asterix and the Secret Mission

Rampage

• Like 2

I dunno... I'm a huge fan of the SMS. Used to be fairly regular over at sega8bit.co.uk (think that was it anyway)... USED to...

Point is, with such a limited library, (yes even including all the brazilian and whatnot) , barely any peripherals, hardly any real rarities or oddities, no big mysteries or legends or rumors.... not much in the way of a homebrew scene or even hacks really...

there's only so many converstations that can be had...

Maybe a "Early Days of Sega" where people could talk about anything Sega prior to the Genesis? But thats really just Classic Gaming General!

EDIT: SORRY. Misread... I thought the OP was asking for SMS to have it's own subforum... but to have it's own "official thread" like the TG 16 and Neo Geo is a VERY good idea!

Edited by Torr

Didn't know the SMS was popular in Brazil. Cool.

Oh yeah. Some of the last releases (in 1999-ish no less) Were Virtua Fighter, Earthworm Jim, and MK 3.

MK3 is an abomination... the other two... considering this is the SMS from 1985, and SMS carts were all technically "Stock"; that is they didn't use mappers and expansion chips and whatnot like NES carts did, they are decent.

Every region (US, Canada, South America, Europe, Japan, Etc...) All got such different libraries.

It's weird to try and collect by region.

Here in Canada we were still getting some of the titles that Europe was getting after the Master System was discontinued in the US.

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

The mighty SEGA Master System is engraved on my heart, much like the Atari 5200 is. So we always had the unpopular, weird kid consoles... so what?

:D

Some of my favorite games:

R-Type

Space Harrier

Govellius

Phantasy Star

Psycho Fox

Zillion

Gangster Town

Castle of Illusion

Fantasy Zone II

Power Strike

Columns (I actually prefer this to the Genesis version)

I had a lot of SMS games as a kid. Nowadays, I need maybe ten or so more games to round out my US collection. When I discovered that the SMS had a second life in Europe (and Brazil), and that there were hundreds more games to collect, I was thrilled. I tend to stick to mostly SEGA published games that never came out here, or certifiably good 3rd party games we never saw (Sagaia, Rainbow Islands and the like).

I'm also a big fan of the FM sound mod. I put one in a few years ago and never regretted it.

Another small mod I made many years ago was to take a controller and reverse the 1 and 2 buttons. There were a lot of SMS games that had the jump button "reversed" from what many of us Nintendo fans would consider normal. Games like Alex Kidd were unplayable for me. I simply un-soldered and switched the two wires running to each button. Now obviously this isn't always a desirable switch. Some games worth better with the original configuration, but I have several other un-modified controllers for those games. The fun factor for Alex Kidd went way up for me once I could play it with a more comfortable controller configuration.