IGNORED

Inferior 8-bit games converted to the 5200?

Lord Helmet

From time to time just for fun I like comparing the inferior 8 bit versions of games to their 5200 counterparts...examples would be Dig Dug, Centipede, Qix...

Has anyone ever converted these to the 5200? It would be so much easier just to put them on my SD cart than to drag out my 400 computer just to play them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn't Dig Dug the same on both systems? I know Qix and Centipede are better on 5200.

No, the original 8bit Dig Dug is a lot less fun compared to the 5200 version. Slow and hard to control, and you can't even blow up the enemy 'ghosts' as they travel thru dirt- you must wait until they reincorporate, which ruins the gameplay.

Can confirm that the Dig Dug cart my friend had was the same as the 5200, but there was a version released a year prior that was different.

Confirmed - Atari released a dog of a Dig Dug version that was more colorful but terrible game play.

It appears the 5200 version was quickly ported to the 800 and released as an update. Wonder if that was the first production 'update' that ever happened.

• 4 weeks later...

There were multiple commercial variants of Dig Dug released for the A8. We discussed this about a year ago in another thread.

Namco probably licensed a cassette tape version that skirted past Atari's nearly exclusive license. And the porting from the 5200 back to A8 was unauthorized by Glenn the 5200 Man, although the later Atari Corp UK division released his Centipede conversion on disk to A8.

Namco probably licensed a cassette tape version that skirted past Atari's nearly exclusive license. And the porting from the 5200 back to A8 was unauthorized by Glenn the 5200 Man, although the later Atari Corp UK division released his Centipede conversion on disk to A8.

I played two different versions on my Ultimate Atari Cart so it seems that two different versions existed as cartridges.