IGNORED

F18A installed a different way

eightbit

Well, I received my F18A today and was really eager to get it inside of this TI99! I saw some mod videos online but decided to tackle it a little differently. The RF shield has some holes that are exactly spaced for the VGA connector bolts, so I had an idea. It worked out great except when I cut the case I went over slightly on the right side. Not a big deal. It is very solidly installed and not going anywhere any time soon. I celebrated with a few rounds of DK ;)

post-21417-0-64727600-1493083681_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-69859300-1493083686_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-88461200-1493083690_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-49351900-1493083697_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-14283100-1493083702_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-01570600-1493083707_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-39937000-1493083719_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-05839600-1493083724_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-66067100-1493083729_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I love it! Really odd thing was when I first put it together the "a" key on the keyboard kept repeating. Took it back apart, unplugged and replugged the keyboard, same thing. Took it apart AGAIN, removed the sheild, put it back on, put it all back together and it is fine now. I am guessing the shield was not on properly the first time around and maybe shortly something? Or someone else has any clue to this oddity? In any case, once it worked perfectly I sealed her up and gave her a real workout. Everything works perfectly as expected. Just found that keyboard thing kind of odd...

I must add that if anyone wants to mod it in this fashion you MUST use the last two holes in the RF shield on the right. If you use any others you will get in the way of the case mount poles. Also, you must remove the black plastic VGA "hood". If you do not, you will never close the RF shield as it will push down on the area of the F18A's VGA pin connection and that is not a good thing. Once you remove the hex bolts the plastic black hood slides off of it. I cut it completely off and then used electrical tape around where the wiring is soldered to the VGA connector (to avoid any short) and that gave it enough clearance to close. It is still a tight close due to all of the extra VGA cabling included with that adapter, but with a little finagling you can get it to shut.

Again, lots of ways to do this, but the only ones I have found on the net were Roli's and Glens. Both very good but I wanted it a certain way and I am happy with it ;)

Really great device. I HIGHLY recommend this. And I can see why people say that they now cannot live without it. I couldn't imagine ever going back to a composite connection...just ain't gonna happen ;)

• Like 3

Geez dude, that is excellent...I also kept my shielding on which made seating everything a real biotch!

Excellent alternative...I've got a couple extra sets of shielding lying around, think I may try re-installing it your way!

Kudos/

• Like 1

Thanks for the kudos guys :) This F18A really does wonders for the TI99. I wish I had this years ago!

As for the Dremel, I don't use that expensive thing! I use a Wen:

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-2305-Rotary-Tool-Shaft/dp/B003BYRFH8/ref=sr_1_2?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1493183754&sr=1-2&keywords=dremel

Cheap in price, but damn how many projects I have used this sucker on!

Edited by eightbit

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kudos guys :) This F18A really does wonders for the TI99. I wish I had this years ago!

As for the Dremel, I don't use that expensive thing! I use a Wen:

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-2305-Rotary-Tool-Shaft/dp/B003BYRFH8/ref=sr_1_2?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1493183754&sr=1-2&keywords=dremel

Cheap in price, but damn how many projects I have used this sucker on!

If there's a mini-router-base that fits this thing (one of the major reasons I'd actually buy a Dremel over a competent non-Dremel alternative like this one), I'm sold. :)