IGNORED

Bee CV emulator and mouse button

Swami

Has anyone had any luck entering a "mouse click" button, Such as LMB or RMB for trackball controller in the Bee colecovision emulator for, say, slither? I clear the field for the fire button and click the mouse button, but nothing is entered. Is there a more customize-able emulator where you don't have to use both mouse and keyboard?

Thanks.

Thanks. That is too bad. I like the funky animation in the colecovision version of slither and centipede. I like the arcade versions in mame and joystick type games. There seems to be potential for console emulation in MAME, although the bios emulator in emulator, such as colecovision and atari 5200 are a pain to customize. I often spend a couple hours trying to figure out how to make a controller work and it seems to change or not work from game to game. Maybe CoolCV?

What is truly frustrating is that the mouse works for slither in both Bee and MAME colecovision bios but centipede works in neither, even though both supposedly supported the trackball in colecovision. Other non-CV console emulations and mame arcade version can use a mouse on centipede.

Edited by Swami

I'm not too familiar with Colecovision; was Colecovision Centipede programmed to use the roller controller? Slither and Victory are the only two games that seem to use it in emulation.

Edit: was it possible to use the colecovision roller controller as a joystick for joystick only games?

Edited by mr_me

The colecovision trackball has both joystick and trackball settings. I'm not sure of the details of it but I found that Coleco recommended using the trackball for centipede, but in the joystick mode. I never actually owned the trackball for the colecovision, but the lists i've seen all said colecovision's centipede was supported for the trackball. Although, with a little more digging, after your question, I found it was recommended, but in joystick mode. Perhaps centipede came out before the trackball, but was used for promoting it. The trackball may have even been designed to work well in joystick mode specifically for centipede. I think Stella and Atari800 can both run centipede/millipede with mouse/trackball set as joystick, but Altirra and Mame cannot. Atari800 has a unique "joystick inertia" setting in addition sensitivity (although with Stella I may have it mixed up with another game, I would need to check). The atari emulator versions are just blocky, monochrome animation though.There is a weird jittery motion you can get in Mame using ST trackball set to relative, but the shooter moves haphazardly with a mind of its own.

I also read today that the colecovision rollerball can also be used with the atari 2600, but to what extent, I have no idea.

So yes, Stella runs centipede/millipede with mouse and mouse button, but did it automatically. Did not have to set anything.

Colecovision 2400 emulators do not let you use mouse in joystick mode.

Edited by Swami

If they recommend setting the roller controller to joystick mode then Colecovision Centipede was programmed for a joystick not a trackball. If you have the Colecovision Atari module then you should be able to play any Atari 2600 game with the roller controller in joystick mode.

Stella has a setting to enable the mouse to "always" control the joystick input. Mine defaulted to only control the "analog" paddle inputs.

I don't think Atari 800 Centipede was programmed for trakball input. Atari 5200 Centipede looks like it was, it works well in Altirra with a mouse. Atari 800 Missile Command was programmed for the trakball but you have to toggle it on with ctrl-t; it defaults to joystick control.

Atari 5200 Centipede with the mouse/trakball still doesn't feel right (position wanders). Atari 5200 Missile Command works and feels correct with mouse/trakball as it does in the Atari 800 version. I'm using Altirra, it's the only emulator I can can get the mouse/trakball working correctly for Atari 800/5200. And CoolCV is the only Colecovision emulator I can the mouse/roller controller working properly

Just to clarify, When I mentioned Atari800, that is Atari800Win Plus, I wasn't clear on that. It was Atari800Win Plus that has the joystick inertia setting in addition to sensitivity. I didn't look into what makes Stella work since it did what I wanted off the bat. Curious that I could not get A800 centipede to work with mouse as joystick on Altirra, only Atari800Win Plus.

Thanks for the CoolCV info, I may try that.

You can get Altirra to use a mouse as a joystick for Atari 400/800. It works fine with Centipede but it's not the same as a trackball game. Under "Input Mappings" add a new input map with controller "joystick cx-40" and map "Left" to "Mouse Left" "Right" to "Mouse Right" etc.

Okay, thanks, I see. I will look into that, if Altirra has more natural mouse --> trackball representation. I think I've mostly dealt with emulators where I only found mouse x-axis and mouse y-axis and can't really bind that to joystick left, joystick right, or something very jittery or it just wasn't clear, but Altirra must have the necessary parameters. Of course, in hind-sight, I should've been writing everything down as I went while doing all this mouse investigation, since it gets a little confusing with the varieties of parameters and various mini-tutorials about things like "should use x-axis/y-axis, shouldn't use x-dec/inc or y-inc/dec, mouse x-, mouse left, mouse I/O overload, etc.

Someone said you can get mouse up/down/left/right in some games where it didn't seem to work by repeating the movement like 5-10 times, but I can't recall exactly now (seems like Mame arcade or Mame a5200).