IGNORED

Mega Man II - Dr. Wily's Stage 1/2 (Atari POKEY Chiptune Cover) [NTSC]

Fragmare

The emulators sound all "typically POKEY" but there are differences in the base clocking in NTSC and PAL.

To get rid of many problems, some tricks can be used, like that "Filter correction" to control the cancelling effect. There exist timing problems in all emulations, that don't exist on the real thing. The most stable one is the "asap" plug in for Winamp.

Then there are smaller problems with the volume, as POKEY tends to sound a lot louder with high tones. And the distortion is missing in most emulations. Altirra has the "non-linear" channel mixing. Which is also "over".

Have you brought any of these supposed issues with Altirra to the attention of phaeron? This emulator is being very actively developed.

• Like 1

I downloaded ASAP, and it sounds great and has a LOT of plugins for various stuff. Doesn't seem to want to force 60Hz, though. the .RMT files all seem to be 50hz PAL natively, no matter how you compose the track... hmm

Right. So, as far I know, only transforming to sap format allows to switch music onto NTSC play mode.

Wilys_Castle_POKEY01_sap.zip

Edited by marok
  • Like 1

Decided to see JUST how close I could get the POKEY to sound to the NES version of this and came up with this... should sound quite a bit more accurate now. The timbre is obviously not going to be the same, and the bassline as an octave low, but I almost think it sounds better an octave lower. Also, the notey toms are now present at the end of the tune and the note cancelling and/or distortion has been drastically reduced. As always, XEX attached :)

https://youtu.be/3BfSrzrG4qI

Wilys_Castle_POKEY01c.xex

• Like 5