IGNORED

Spray-painting an XE!

ultrasteve

I've got a bottle of Salon Care 40, which is recommended for those who don't feel like making their own solution. I think it's like 20% peroxide so I wonder if the amount might make a difference when it comes to the blooms. I haven't tried it yet since Washington State only gets sun once or twice a year :grin: but I plan to try it soon on my Osbourne.

I gotta give TI some credit for making a line (not the entire line, mind ya) a computer that consists of black and chrome. It really keeps the yellowing down.

The main issue with painting (on the XEs) is the text on the console keys. This one has a single light coat on the keys which blends the colour but still leaves the text legible (before and after):

post-21964-0-51326400-1493631897_thumb.jpg

Another thing with this one is that even if the peroxide treatment had been successful (which it wasn't), the custom panel in the top right corner would never have been a good match for the rest of the case. So painting has its uses and is arguably a more permanent solution than some other options, providing you aim to handle the machine with care in the future.

• Like 4

Congratulations.

Looks like you've already done that

Thanks, but this was literally my first time of spray-painting. Anything. Ever!

I also painted my console keys (lightly, but not lightly enough) so took a cotton bud to the text with a tiny bit of clean spirit on them and some elbow grease. You can see where they've been rubbed, and they're not great, but from a distance (when it's on the display shelf) you'd probably not notice.

post-45046-0-23742100-1493632825_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The main issue with painting (on the XEs) is the text on the console keys. This one has a single light coat on the keys which blends the colour but still leaves the text legible (before and after):

attachicon.gifcomp.jpg

Another thing with this one is that even if the peroxide treatment had been successful (which it wasn't), the custom panel in the top right corner would never have been a good match for the rest of the case. So painting has its uses and is arguably a more permanent solution than some other options, providing you aim to handle the machine with care in the future.

Wow

I did not quite get it, but how in the world did you get that keyboard so fabulous done?

This is amazing result.

I did not quite get it, but how in the world did you get that keyboard so fabulous done?

Keyboard was done with peroxide. Still the only method available, but the keyboards don't bloom (or if they do, you can't tell) so you can go to town on them.

• Like 1

I think what can cause the Blooming is putting on the thicker solution on it. I have had better success with liquid peroxide that is applied often whilst in the sun. Can be tedious over 6 hours, but every ~30 min I would go out and brush some on and there was no blooming.

I've got a bottle of Salon Care 40, which is recommended for those who don't feel like making their own solution. I think it's like 20% peroxide so I wonder if the amount might make a difference when it comes to the blooms. I haven't tried it yet since Washington State only gets sun once or twice a year :grin: but I plan to try it soon on my Osbourne.

I gotta give TI some credit for making a line (not the entire line, mind ya) a computer that consists of black and chrome. It really keeps the yellowing down.

I used this exact solution on some ST cases as well as a XF551 and it bloomed them bad. Used a brush to apply and it also bloomed brush strokes into the case. I had better results with the clear version in the brown bottle.

I used this exact solution on some ST cases as well as a XF551 and it bloomed them bad. Used a brush to apply and it also bloomed brush strokes into the case. I had better results with the clear version in the brown bottle.

I'll have to make sure I try it on a test spot then. What was your process when using the stuff?

First-world problem. Do I / don't I:

Now I've painted the case, and am in the process of retrobrighting the keycaps, I've turned my attention to the badge. The red is badly faded, and the silver Fuji and 800XE are tarnished. I try to keep all of my machines as original as possible, but I'm considering putting this new badge on. I had originally thought of putting some masking tape over the original badge and then sticking the new badge over the tape, but it sits VERY proud.

I'm stuck in a loop of not knowing what to do! Also, the only way I'd ever use this machine is if I got the faulty GTIA replaced, so it may be a moot point!

post-45046-0-04566900-1493812367_thumb.jpgpost-45046-0-29485400-1493812388_thumb.jpgpost-45046-0-26779900-1493812402_thumb.jpg

I think the photo makes it appear 'redder' than it actually is. There is a bit of bleed, but you're right, I'll keep it original. Maybe if I get another 800XE somewhere (or even a 65XE) I'll spray it a different colour and put this badge on, just for the sake of it!

attachicon.gifcomp.jpg

When I painted my 130XE over a decade ago, I simple replaced the keyboard with a new one, saving the discolored one for back-up/repairs. Maybe I'll try retrobrite or peroxide on them at some point. But I am a big believer in a quality paint job (including clear-coat). I've found the perfect off-white for my XL line in Krylon's Deluxe Antique White. Luckily XL's don't often need to worry about the browns looking bad! But, I have found a Krylon Espresso color that is a damn close match, that I used on an ST mouse and speakers and joysticks to give them all the two-tone XL colors.

Atari 65XE, my first 8-bit computer at last again in my hands. After a loooong break (about 26 years!). Buyed in a very bad condition.
Someone tried to spray the cover with silver paint, but unfortunately something did not work, so Atari came to me in a state like in the pictures.
Broken paths on the keyboard foil, repaired with conductive glue and secured. The computer has been thoroughly cleaned, each key individually, screwed off each screw.
Painted with three layers of primer, then sprayed with black matte paint. Keys was yellowed, so i've used hydrogen peroxide to bring them back to original colour.
Inside i've mounted dual Pokey for stereo sound, Ultimate 1MB, added two RCA outputs (left and right channel), and a U-Switch for switching stereo with U1MB menu. TV modulator was removed and an S-Video socket added.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg

• Like 7