IGNORED

HSC14 Round 8: Spelunker & Caverns of Khafka

Crushing some big names in the poll next up for HSC play is....

SPELUNKER

spelunker_broderbund_5.gif

Played back in season 2! I've always wanted to get further in this scrolling platformer.. I think there is a 'fixed' version here on atariage - original might have had a bug stopping it being completed or something? If anyone knows about this please post, I may have it confused with these threads:

running on other hardware devices

problem-with-atarimax-demo-workbook-on-130xe

Watch the demo to see the dynamite (press D) and firing up (press F) and the ghost scrambling (press SPACE) in action :) NOTE: Last and High scores shown as part of the title screen montage.

Downloads:

Fandal

Atarimania

atarionline.pl

StrategyWiki

Atariage Text file has a nice guide to the game; use the walk through part only if you are really stuck!

Bonus Caverns of Khafka

caverns_of_khafka_cosmi_2.gif

This game always appealed to me and seems a perfect accompaniment to Spelunker :)

If you do complete a level press [start] again to continue your go. However start each new go from level 1: press [Option] to choose this.

Atarimania

Fandal

Extra Bonus Tree Surgeon

tree_surgeon.png

Fun 2 stage platformer, not really related to Spelunker [it's a platformer!] but Mr.Fish wants us to break this game for him and checkout some bugs [see 2nd post]! In my crumbling records. I have noted that the game does not get any harder so play on Beginner (C1) retire after 3 rounds 6 screens completed (when you reach C4), post # of men remaining. NOTE: Score not shown at end of go! You can max out your score by getting bonuses from the squirrel and collecting ladder segments on the 2nd screen, both are time limited so this should be fair.

Fandal

atarimania

3 Week Round - extra time on this round to give time to enjoy the games.

Finishes Sunday 21st May, 10pm UK Time :)

Have fun!

• Like 2

Mr Fish's post on Tree Surgeon:

I did finally find a couple of bugs in Tree Surgeon.

One affects gameplay, although it's by doing something you would have no reason to in normal gameplay.

If you stand on the left side of the diving board and push the joystick button, the guy will jump up in the air about

10 feet or so and then various P/M glitches will occur. The game cannot be recovered after this point. I'm wondering

if jumping up like that had some planned purpose in the game? Either way, there's no reason to do it, as you're safe

from the squirrel just by standing on the diving board.

The other bug that doesn't affect gameplay happens if you go underground, where you dig the roots out. If you press

the <START> button so you can begin a new game, the player data for the guy underground will remain and you'll have

an extra image of the guy below you that will follow you around as you select your level. It's no problem, as the P/M data

will be cleared when a new game is started. This doesn't happen if you start a new game while on the tree dumping level.

In spite of those couple little glitches, the game is really good, and the programmer added a lot of details in gameplay and

graphics. The levels progress well, becoming more challenging and adding enemies. The music and sounds are done

well too.

Here's a manual for Spelunker. As you get 10.000 points times the level reached and can't really loiter at lower levels to amass points, plain score should be a good indicator of Spelunking prowess.

I am not entirely sure but AFAIK the game ends after finishing the last level, so there might be a finite maximum score.

• Like 1

This is one of my all-time favorites! I'll get the ball rolling with 314,610!

post-9712-0-42541200-1493597169.png

I managed to finish it, once, but that was a long time ago. I hope I can get the hang of it enough to finish it again. If I remember correctly, you have to make sure you collect all the keys because if you miss one toward the end of the game, you can't go back to get it and will therefore be stuck.

• Like 2

This is one of my all-time favorites! I'll get the ball rolling with 314,610!

attachicon.gifSpelunker 314610.png

I managed to finish it, once, but that was a long time ago. I hope I can get the hang of it enough to finish it again. If I remember correctly, you have to make sure you collect all the keys because if you miss one toward the end of the game, you can't go back to get it and will therefore be stuck.

Same for me. Had no kids back then, just bought an used 800XL to re-live 8-bit greatness, set that up on the floor next to the TV in a rather empty living room (compared to today at least ;-) and played Spelunker until I reached the end. I think I did it again using emulation but I might have cheated there using saved states.

That advice about the keys is true.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to this round!

Fandal has fixed the problem with Spare Change corruption/lock ups (I've had one go so far on my 130XE and got past level 1 with the Speedster Zerk Show and reached level 8!) FIXED SPARE CHANGE ATR

Season 14 Current Standings Updated

(now including the extra bonus points!)

:)

Welcome back Beamer320i we were about to call the cavalry in :thumbsup:

There will be a chance for a season catch-up on round 10 ;)

I'm sure any score of over 1million can not be described as puny :grin:

Tree Surgeon - EVERYONE: Play on Beginner (C1) ad retire after 3 rounds (6 screens) completed, when you reach (C4) if you get that far. Post how many lives you have left.

@Mr Fish - jumping on the diving board works fine (playing my old multiboot copy on PAL 130XE) you can pull R to exit to the three heights of branches.

The 2nd one, restarting when you are digging does duplicate the player's image but only on the level select screen. Also had a duplicate piece of ladder on 2nd board after getting killed when collecting it on left of rope platform. Also positioned ladder pieces remain on for the next round. Didn't realise this was a protoytpe.

Not as easy as I remembered, I can't even work out how to build the ladder properly! [HA! Just go up the steps]I must have played it a lot to beat C4 in the past, so should be great for HSC play. Need to figure out everything again!

:)

No pause key?!!!

12030 reached fourth screen.

Edited by therealbountybob

Spelunker - I've got a copy with a title screen, unfortunately it's hacked with extra lives so it's not suitable for HSC play... but I've found the same version with normal lives on

atarimania Spelunker (Micro Graphic Image 1983). Anyone know more about this original version? Is the game the same? Perhaps someone good at is can see if it does lock up on level 3 as it says on atarimania? The atarionline.pl one is called atr-dcm.gif Spelunker (1983)(Micro GraphicImage)(US)[b lvl3].atr

spelunker_mgi.gif

I've added some more Spelunker links to the first post, manual and walkthrough - only to be used if anyone is really stuck!

Spelunker - I've got a copy with a title screen, unfortunately it's got too many extra lives so it's not suitable for HSC play, but I've found the same version with normal lives on

atarimania Spelunker (Micro Graphic Image 1983) Anyone know more about this? Is the game the same? Perhaps someone good at is can see if it does lock up on level 3 as it says on atarimania? The atarionline.pl one is called atr-dcm.gif Spelunker (1983)(Micro GraphicImage)(US)[b lvl3].atr

I think the issue with the "too many lives" is just random luck, because there's a "treasure" that awards you a random item (dynamite, flare, points, or extra life.) I haven't tested it out, but maybe there's a version that's more generous with the extra lives. :)

I think the issue with the "too many lives" is just random luck, because there's a "treasure" that awards you a random item (dynamite, flare, points, or extra life.) I haven't tested it out, but maybe there's a version that's more generous with the extra lives. :)

Sorry I meant it is a hacked copy with extra lives from the Start. I've downloaded both versions afresh so will check it out. Saw comments that br0derbund took over the distribution, the level 3 bug might have been fixed then too perhaps. I've never played it much / beaten the first level so it's going to be a great expedition for me :)

Spelunker - I've got a copy with a title screen, unfortunately it's hacked with extra lives so it's not suitable for HSC play...

spelunker_mgi.gif

I've added some more Spelunker links to the first post, manual and walkthrough - only to be used if anyone is really stuck!

This looks like the pirated copy I had as a teenager although I can't remember how many lives you started with.

Caverns of Khafka 180,203 (2)

post-19705-0-54426200-1493741213.jpg

Spelunker 99,435 - watch out for falling off the edge of the lift then it respawns you on the same crack losing all your lives :frown:

post-19705-0-11462800-1493741229.jpg

Tree Surgeon 27,575 (C3 / 6th screen)

seems that you don't even need the ladders at all on the 2nd boards - will confirm next go, looks like just jump up the steps to the top!

Spelunker: 471,510!

post-9712-0-14477400-1493775685.png

I forgot how hard the shaft is...the ghosts just keep coming out. Don't miss the boat!

Caverns of Khafka: 111,315!

post-9712-0-36123000-1493776079.png

I've played this on and off all my life...and this is the first time I've ever gotten past level 1. LOL!

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 1

Another trek into the mine finally got me into the Ropes level and past the last blue door. While I know I have been there a couple of times I don't recall most of the mines and hardly any of the tactics required to get past the bats... Crawling around beats "jump and run" for me as I never get the timing right and jumping while running usually has me losing a life in a crevice or on a steam vent. Never ran out of energy though, always found a charger when in need.

post-4219-0-07474300-1493821161.png

• Like 1

Another trek into the mine finally got me into the Ropes level and past the last blue door. While I know I have been there a couple of times I don't recall most of the mines and hardly any of the tactics required to get past the bats... Crawling around beats "jump and run" for me as I never get the timing right and jumping while running usually has me losing a life in a crevice or on a steam vent. Never ran out of energy though, always found a charger when in need.

attachicon.gifSpelunker 297210.png

I'm sure you know, but just to make sure, press "F" to fire a flare, which scares off the bats temporarily. There are a couple places where you do have to duck past them, but the flares do take care of most of the bats. :)

• Like 2

I'm sure you know, but just to make sure, press "F" to fire a flare, which scares off the bats temporarily. There are a couple places where you do have to duck past them, but the flares do take care of most of the bats. :)

Yeah, without "F" there's (almost) no passing the bats. The one close above the "stairs" needs a bit of ducking, however and I never hit the one past the mine cart on my way back. I hope I find enough playtime during this HSC round to finish the game again ;) Also hope the competition picks up a bit, not too many entries so far....

• Like 2

Yeah, without "F" there's (almost) no passing the bats. The one close above the "stairs" needs a bit of ducking, however and I never hit the one past the mine cart on my way back. I hope I find enough playtime during this HSC round to finish the game again ;) Also hope the competition picks up a bit, not too many entries so far....

That one by the mine cart is tricky. First, I blow up the rockpile. Then, there's one teeny, tiny pixel that's lower than the rest of the ground level. That seems to be the only place you can fire a flare successfully. Once it works, I just make a mad dash across and back. 9 times out of 10, I can get back across before the bat returns. Might take a bit of practice, but it can be done. :)

Spelunker 165,015

Got a fair bit further but I'm still falling, literally, for just about everything! If you do get stuck in a hole then pressing space to use the ghost fry burns up energy quicker. Again be careful not to fall off the life or it will burn through all your lives. Some of the flip scrolling can be challenging so be careful, but you can jump to make it scroll - there is one rope where you can get an energy pack this way (ok probably it's oxygen). :-D

A couple more observations: Shooting the ghosts seems to be better not hitting them. [D]ynamite drops ahead of you, get clear!

I hope to clear this first level next session!!