IGNORED

Gunfright version 1.1 released

mariuszw

Hello everybody,

I'm releasing updated version of Gunfright (version 1.1). This version features:

- music improved by Emkay

- loading screen updated by Jose

- fix for bandit shooting - now, when player moves before bandit, time for shooting the bandit is longer and matches Spectrum version (fix by Lee)

- fix for original game bug - when unlimited lives cheat was enabled, game panel was corrupted

For instruction from original Spectrum version see here: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/games-info/g/Gunfright.pdf. For tips about game strategy see here: http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/info.pl?name=Gunfright

gf1.atr

gf1.xex

• Like 14

Would you please post a pic of the updated loading screen?

Regards,

- Y -

Hello everybody,

I'm releasing updated version of Gunfright (version 1.1). This version features:

- music improved by Emkay

- loading screen updated by Jose

- fix for bandit shooting - now, when player moves before bandit, time for shooting the bandit is longer and matches Spectrum version (fix by Lee)

- fix for original game bug - when unlimited lives cheat was enabled, game panel was corrupted

For instruction from original Spectrum version see here: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/games-info/g/Gunfright.pdf. For tips about game strategy see here: http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/info.pl?name=Gunfright

Would you please post a pic of the updated loading screen?

Regards,

- Y -

The screen isn't/wasn't supposed to be like this but I am waiting for Mariusz to know why there aren't the brown above on some of those gfxs that are now the dark gray as it uses the same PMGs as the bottom logo starting at the same xPos so there's no DLIs to be used while loading.

Here's the picture that it was supposed to be (if it'll not be changed at least you got the idea):

-> GR.15 screen 4colours only PFs:

post-6517-0-96506400-1493668668.png

+

-> PMGs:

post-6517-0-96290200-1493668732.png

=

-> The Loading screen:

post-6517-0-39803400-1493668776.png

Here's the .g2f/.xex if you want it:

GUNFRIGHT Loading _final April 2017.zip

:thumbsup:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 5

The .atr you can see the loading picture but the .xex is so quickly and used on todays emulators that for this and any other game you're almost instantly on the presentation/credits screen, isn't it?

Like many other games, you could display title screen until fire button is pressed.

• Like 1

I guess you are referring to loading screen? It is included in xex version, just no chance to see it as game starts immediately. I'll change that in future releases.

Yes, technically it's a loading screen.

"It's in there, but you just can't see it". Sounds like something our parents would say to convince us to do something. Haha...

Alright, Dad, I'll wait... :D

Thanks!

Please don't make it so it has to implicity wait on a button press but rather let it time out or be skipped .... thanks

People may think that can't makes things to all allways agree but maybe there's a solution...

Like I said on other topic I'm not into the need of pressing a key and that is because in the old days that didn't happen. Point me a game where that happened because I can't remember of any. And I'm talking about 'real' loading screens that is when showing while the loading process is going on.

My idea and what I tried to convince coders right from my 1st game was/is having always a loading screen because I was jealous that in the old days my ZXs/C64s friends have them and we on A8 almost all times didn't. The reasons for this are various and maybe well known or you didn't bother to think about it but in my opinion they were:

-> Tape version: The A8 tape loading process is so size of tape consuming that a 5min game on others on A8 goes to 3x or 4x more. Now imagine with the picture?

And also the price of 60mins or even 90mins tape when others could normally go well on a 20mins (2sides x 10mins) and some games even on 2x5mins.

How much would increase the price and was it profitable and more in a small users market like the A8.

-> Disc: The size of a normal type A8 formated disc.

-> On the two versions: Regarding the size of the A8 community back then and the own way of we to need to have the loading screens without any DLIs makes them the only way possible is to have them in 4colours only GR.15 bitmap mode and like me is doing now that is adding some but not much more colours is by adding the PMGs but that wasn't too much known on the past, G2F didn't existed and again number of users were so small that it wasn't really to bother not only for loading screens but also for the in-game like we all know on all all those 'sh..' releases that we always got :(.

And what bad and uggly 4colours conversions we got when there was a loading screen... And what troubles and how much time and possible not payment had, maybe usually the original C64 artists to get the A8 picture ;)?

Maybe some other reasons maybe valid and I'm not, at least by now, remember of anyother now...

But to return and finishing my point of view and idea is why not have on the code a 3 or 4secs showing the screen and then start the loading with, like now, the screen shown while loading?

Is this enough and would apply to all be happy and see my beautifull creations/stollen/conversions :grin:?

If this isn't enough then have this and for people that can't wait to play the game and/or don't like my work ;) also have a 'press any key to continue' possibility.

:thumbsup:

P.s.- But and why people don't choose the .atr if they want to see and have these pictures screens seen while loading instead of the .xex? Today all these games are for disc version, don't take all that too much time and everyone can always set the emulators to pass/emulate or not the real time the loading takes.

Oops... I think that I wrote too too much but sorry I am with a mobile phone and were 15mins train travel, 15mins waiting and same traveling on 1st bus and same 5 more 5 on the 2nd one and had to do some to pass the time :)...

Will any here ever read all I wrote?

:grin:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

And I'm right now at my door, the phone already 'said' it has low battery but also I need to eat and is more than time for dinner so you can finally be happy that, at least in the next hour or so I will and can't say anything more in this topic and on all the others ;).

:)

P.s.- I said "it has low batery" but maybe I'm also in low charge so charging dinner time now...

:grin:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

Jose, there should be no "gap" (like 3-4 seconds) during loading as this may break loaders, modern ones, as well as old ones. So, the only option is to make pause after game is loaded, and allow this pause to be skipped with keypress.

I understand your point with "old school" loading screens and I like them, and this is how loading screens were implemented in my games. But it is right that people with newer hardware for storage connected to Atari do not have a chance to see loading screen, so I'll implement this pause after game is loaded for people to have a chance to actually see these screens.

Mariusz.

• Like 3

True Title screen is different than loader screen....if memory is a concern after keypress just finish loading last portion and overwrite the title/loader screen...... I understand he want's to see it... I see some people just want to get right to the game... If it were a loader screen... no gap needed just load till end of memory and time out or key/button press to skip and start the over write and finish the load process....

Everyone should be happy but it could be a real pain for the programmer of the game :) I want to keep the coder/programmer happy!

• 1 month later...

Well,

I never played Gunfright before (e.g. on another system), but when I played it yesterday, it showed garbage after a while. Okay, I was evil and just killed people that were walking around and after I killed 3 or 4 people and also got killed several times, garbage appeared on the lower/bottom display.

To make sure it is not the fault of my original Atari 800XL with 512k SRAM extension and stereo (PAL, XL-OS Rev. 2), I tested it again with Atari 800 Win today (PAL, 1MB, XL-OS, stereo, SIO-patch off) - and the same bug err, garbage appeared. Luckily I made a video of it (originally in 672x480 pixels, but then converted to 320x240 with Format Factory), so you can see what I mean...

Alright, you should not walk around and kill innocent people, okay - but then again the game should not display garbage after a while. Mariusz, can you please fix this ?!?

Last not least, this is an AVI video, simply remove the ZIP extender (since I am not sure if AVI can be uploaded at AA)...

Gunfrig.avi.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Well,

I never played Gunfright before (e.g. on another system), but when I played it yesterday, it showed garbage after a while. Okay, I was evil and just killed people that were walking around and after I killed 3 or 4 people and also got killed several times, garbage appeared on the lower/bottom display.

To make sure it is not the fault of my original Atari 800XL with 512k SRAM extension and stereo (PAL, XL-OS Rev. 2), I tested it again with Atari 800 Win today (PAL, 1MB, XL-OS, stereo, SIO-patch off) - and the same bug err, garbage appeared. Luckily I made a video of it (originally in 672x480 pixels, but then converted to 320x240 with Format Factory), so you can see what I mean...

Alright, you should not walk around and kill innocent people, okay - but then again the game should not display garbage after a while. Mariusz, can you please fix this ?!?

Last not least, this is an AVI video, simply remove the ZIP extender (since I am not sure if AVI can be uploaded at AA)...

Thanks for error report.

I attached fixed version (1.2).

Mariusz.

gf12.atr

gf12.xex

• Like 6