segaod2d1.jpg?w=2000

See the original blog post here

After building a few all-in-one systems like the STARFORCE PI and STARFORCE NEO I realized that I wanted to do something really special with the console that I grew up with and had the fondest childhood memories: The Sega Mega Drive. Additionally, I wanted to be able to connect other oldschool consoles to it, making a central game feature with a true arcade edge! After nearly a year of testing my girlfriend’s patience I finished it: The Sega Omega Drive Dedicated Oldschool Entertainment System (DOES).

od2.jpg?w=1200&h=&crop=1&ssl=1

Built inside a 1987 Sega AfterBurner arcade bezel imported from the US, this system features an original Sega Genesis 2 motherboard which means the games aren’t emulated and play supremely well via one of the two dedicated systems inside, that collectively support all the popular high-quality analog and digital video inputs. The 4:3 aspect ratio 19″ LCD screen fits snugly into the bezel, and the black matte exterior houses a 5 Watt dual stereo speaker system by Logitech, delivering an impressive deep sound, with the option to connect external audio capture devices or headphones through the 3.5mm audio jack.

od6.jpg?w=1200&h=&crop=1&ssl=1

The Genesis cartridge slot blends neatly into the bezel, supporting the entire library of Mega Drive/Genesis and Master System (via adapter) games, and brings thrilling 2-player arcade action with two essential Genesis compatible controller input ports. The real power lies behind the control panel, which houses an array of video input options, all needed to play those classic video game systems. SCART, VGA, RGB, YPbPr and even HDMI inputs run through internal scanline generators to pump out an awesome arcade experience. Two faders allows for a greater control of the stereo sound from the Genesis, SCART or RCA audio input, while an additional HMDI-output allows this system to run the Genesis in parallel to a connected second console on a second screen! A power port at the side means any console can just be plugged into a video input port, and powered by the system itself – no extension cords needed.

od11.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop=1&ssl=1

Rubber grips are able to hold a Sega cartridge case firmly above the cartridge slot, between the fully functional blazing red AfterBurner lights, giving the gamer an interchangeable marquee and a satisfying arcade environment, every time. The transparant backpanel keeps the internals shielded, while allowing the lights to emit ambient background lighting.

od9.jpg?w=1200&h=&crop=1&ssl=1

This was a little sideproject while I was waiting for parts to finish the Omega Drive, but I think it turned out pretty neat! You can read more on the PC Engine SD in my previous post, but as you can see I made it to fit nicely with the look of the Omega Drive.

pcstroke.png?w=2000

The Sega Omega Drive Dedicated Oldschool Entertainment System cost roughly the same as the STARFORCE NEO to build, around €600, coming mostly from the upscaler/scanline generator setups and bezel. However, it was considerably more time consuming to construct due to the size and the rather complicated wiring. Nevertheless, the end result is very exciting and unique.

Marcel J. de Haan

SFP Development Team

logo_omegadrive.jpg?w=2000

SPECS:

• Authentic Sega Genesis Model 2 hardware
  • JAP|US|EU Mega Drive/Genesis Cartride Compatible
  • 2x Genesis Controller Inputs (Player 1 & 2)
  • Integrated 19” 720p LCD Screen (4:3)
  • Video Input: HDMI, VGA, RGB, YPbPr & SCART. Output: HDMI
  • Vid1: ArcadeForge’s SLG-in-a-Box (scaler board, Sync Strike and SLG3000 in one)
  • Vid2: ArcadeForge’s Scanline Generator + HD video converter
  • Audio Input: Left/Right stereo RCA
  • Logitech Z130 Internal 5 Watt Stereo Speakers
  • 3.5mm Headphone Stereo Jack
  • Fully Functional Arcade Lighting through 12v cold cathode tubes
  • Extra power output port for additional console (230v)
  • Classic 1987 Sega AfterBurner Converted Bezel
  • Dimensions: 80 x 60 x 30 cm, Weight: damn heavy

post-43782-0-73365500-1493652873_thumb.jpg

Edited by StarForcePilot
  • Like 6

That's gotta be huge, because..

post-4806-0-85477300-1493659023.jpg

There's gonna be room in there for an R-Pi to make an interesting-looking bartop. Or maybe even room for a proper i7 hexacore. Then play flight simulator on it. Woot!

It certainly is one way to do modular games. No fuck'n around with retroblox or any of those shitbox kickstarter things. Just plug in the hardware (console or pc) and get gaming.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

That's gotta be huge, because..

attachicon.gifafterburner_upright.jpg

There's gonna be room in there for an R-Pi to make an interesting-looking bartop. Or maybe even room for a proper i7 hexacore. Then play flight simulator on it. Woot!

It certainly is one way to do modular games. No fuck'n around with retroblox or any of those shitbox kickstarter things. Just plug in the hardware (console or pc) and get gaming.

You could definitely fit a complete gaming rig in there, plenny-o-room, but I kept is modest, focusing more on video signal conversions. I could certainly throw in a R-Pi for fun, might even do that at some point actually, make it a bit of a mediacenter as well.

attachicon.gifEXPERT ANALYSIS.png

Sent with love, honestly. This is crazy cool (with equal parts of crazy and cool).

Hah, I love it, that's going straight on the FB/TW wall.

that's... different.

what upscaler are you using?

There are two video setups in place

Vid1: I took Arcade Forge's SLG-in-a-Box three point system, which uses a GBS8220/GBS8200 scaler board, the Sync Strike and the SLG3000, and took it apart, placed the interface into the control panel, and connected the Genesis to the SCART input. I then extended the VGA and RGB/YPbPr ports to the control panel as well. This part is running the Genesis, VGA and RGB/YPbPr input ports. This is connected to the VGA port of the display

Vid2: I connected a SCART scanlinegenerator to a budget SCART to HDMI video converter, which also accepts additional HDMI input. This part runs the SCART and HDMI input ports, and also output HDMI for a second monitor (which allows a console to be connected to the Omega Drive, and play in parallel to the Genesis). This is connected to the DVI port of the display.

The video playback is more modular and generally higher quality in Vid1 than Vid2, but I tested Vid2 with a Sega Multi-Mega, the PC Engine SD and an unmodded Playstation 1, and it al worked fine. Weirdly enough, the SNES did not work on it! Maybe a SCART issue, or it may be destiny :P One thing I learned was to not be cheap with SCART cables!

The audio was a pain in the ass... audio ALWAYS is a pain in the ass it seems, I can never get it crystal clear. Anyway, I connected RCA audio input ports together with the output of the SCART to HDMI converter to 1 port of the audio mixer (controlled by the two white faders in the front), and connected audio output from the SLG-in-a-box connected to the Genesis to the second port of the audio mixer.

See attached an early sketch (this has been updated since then)

od_connectivity.png

Edited by StarForcePilot
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Cheers all, I was going for 'holy shit', glad it came across! I actually built it because I wanted a cool arcade interface for all the console I had no real interest in modding into an all-in-one like the STARFORCE NEO

Wow, just ... wow. I'd love to see something like this done for the Super Famicom.

As Fry said...

79af6b3bc5b23131ace1d835c402fa444ebd7cfc

You got it! In fact, that was what I was planning to go after next - Nintendo. Growing up with Sega has always left me irked with the NES and SNES, because SM and MD for life! But I think I should give them both a chance, so I'm starting plans on how to proceed. I already have a encasing for them, but I'm contemplating whether to go original hardware, or the mini classic emulation formats. It's more interesting to have the original hardware, but also far more work, and more expensive to get the NES up to a decent video signal. The purists would kill me, but it's really the same reasoning as I made when making the PC Engine SD, I was never gonna collect the games for it, so I switched it to take SD cards instead. I have to make a video about that actually, soon. Cheers!

How hard would it be to build in a 32x and sega cd?

Good question, it was going to have the 32x in there actually! I bought one and everything, but the hardware was so quirky, the ribbon cables inside didn't stay seated properly, and when I secured that, the SCART output to the scalar board caused glitches, did weird things, and I'm not technical enough to go into what weirdness was going on with the SCART sync. So I took it out, which actually kept the unit a lot thinner than it would've otherwise been. Also, the cartridge slot would've been when the control panel is now. I think it looks better where it is, and the natural curve of the Genesis 2 cartridge slot elipse fit almost perfectly with the curve of the AfterBurner bezel - so win!

The sega cd, in fact any cd system, I'm trying to avoid to mod. It's delicate, and unreliable on the long run. But! The Sega Omega Drive has a SCART input and 220v power output built-in, so I can hook up my killer Multi Mega (CDX) and play dem CD games all night lawng. This too, will be part of the video covering external systems connected to the Sega Omega Drive.

Thanks for the questions and remarks, feel free to ask more!

Edited by StarForcePilot