IGNORED

The Three Different Atari 7800 Power Supplies

sixersfan105

Hey guys, this is mostly out of curiosity more than anything else, but what are everyone's thoughts on the three different versions of the 7800 power supply? We've got the two differently shaped Part No. 24471-001 (in the first pic below), with the input wattage of the more rounded PSU on the left coming in at 120/60/16 vs. the more angular one on the right coming in at 120/60/15 (I know, doesn't really make a difference). Then there's Part No. 24471-002, also coming in at 120/60/15 and the largest of the three (pictured solo below) and I've never seen this third one live and in the flesh.

I'm sorry if this is an incredibly boring topic to most but I guess I'm just wondering if you all have found one to be more reliable than the others, etc. Thanks!

post-47330-0-43778500-1493692955_thumb.jpg

post-47330-0-92818600-1493692967_thumb.png

Woah, def never seen that one! So looks like yours was made in Hong Kong, the top two Philippines and Taiwan, and I can't make out the origin of the brick (solo pic). Each country went rogue and designed their own lol

yeah pic a bit blurry , reads like "Made in Singapore" perhaps

Surprise! Another PSU variant from PAL-land.

The text reads:

Part No: CO24943-309

AC/DC ADAPTOR

INPUT: 240V ~ 50Hz 15W

OUTPUT: DC 9V 1A

TO COMPLY WITH BS415

INDOOR USE ONLY WITH MODELS PAL 1 7800

WB 9035

and of course the other side has one of the UK's fantastically sturdy and safe 3 pin plugs.

Judging by my 2600 PSU which uses a different design and says "Made in the United Kingdom" I imagine these plugs are all made by different factories to meet whatever local electrical requirements in force.

post-27819-0-92626700-1493751168.jpg

This is the original version IIRC.

I have an AT-84 serial number 7800 (with the Expansion Port) that has a power supply with the angular looking shape in the first photo above. The date code on it indicates it was made in 1984 (as opposed to the '87 date on the one pictured). *shrug*

post-30400-0-33371200-1493760467_thumb.jpg

I have the rounded one from your first pic. It has been reliable for me so far. The only difference I see from mine to the one in the pic, is where the one pictured has "3188"(?) in the lower right, mine says "2088".

And, yes, there are those of us who find discussions on PSU variations interesting. :-)

Edited by troff
  • Like 2

I have the rounded one from your first pic. It has been reliable for me so far. The only difference I see from mine to the one in the pic, is where the one pictured has "3188"(?) in the lower right, mine says "2088".

And, yes, there are those of us who find discussions on PSU variations interesting. :-)

Mine is also just like the first one (in the original post, top left) EXCEPT mine has "1388" after "MADE IN PHILIPPINES".

Also, there is a quarter-inch "LIP" sticking up above the top surface against the wall (in other words, the surface against the wall is slightly taller than the brick itself)...can't see that part in the original posters pic, so I don't know if that is unique or not.

Mine is also just like the first one (in the original post, top left) EXCEPT mine has "1388" after "MADE IN PHILIPPINES".

Also, there is a quarter-inch "LIP" sticking up above the top surface against the wall (in other words, the surface against the wall is slightly taller than the brick itself)...can't see that part in the original posters pic, so I don't know if that is unique or not.

I think you just can't see the lip in the rounded one on the left in the top pic (not totally sure, as it's not my pic), but that's my guess. I also have a rounded one (with a lip) on my main 7800, which is of the "X" serial number console variations (I know, people hate on this one but I love it b/c it's super minty). Also have come across the angular ones as seen on the right of the top pic.

I have an AT-84 serial number 7800 (with the Expansion Port) that has a power supply with the angular looking shape in the first photo above. The date code on it indicates it was made in 1984 (as opposed to the '87 date on the one pictured). *shrug*

attachicon.gifIMG_7735.JPG

Hmmm so all bets are off on which is the original one, then!!!

*sorry i should have multiquoted all these, whoops.

I think some of them cordless phones used the same connector type ... the ones with the really long antennas :P ... or mebbe it was a shaver , I wished I knew the name of the connector type

Got to be, 12V / 600mA is weird. I don't think I ever even tried it, probably works with normal carts.

I have the first two common ones (rounded and angular). Both work fine with my old console but the angular one was recently obtained with another console that has a possibly power-related issue.

I've heard of people using alternative power adapters who find that their 7800 can play 2600 games but not 7800 games due to a low amperage adapter. Well, that's exactly how this particular console behaves with an original adapter unless you leave it on for ~15mins and cycle the power... like a car that just won't run well until it warms up!

Because it does this with either adapter I don't want to blame the adapter but I do want to note that it came with the angular one just in case we notice a trend of consoles with this issue having included that unit.

I have the first two common ones (rounded and angular). Both work fine with my old console but the angular one was recently obtained with another console that has a possibly power-related issue.

I've heard of people using alternative power adapters who find that their 7800 can play 2600 games but not 7800 games due to a low amperage adapter. Well, that's exactly how this particular console behaves with an original adapter unless you leave it on for ~15mins and cycle the power... like a car that just won't run well until it warms up!

Because it does this with either adapter I don't want to blame the adapter but I do want to note that it came with the angular one just in case we notice a trend of consoles with this issue having included that unit.

Well any power adapter can go bad but first thing I'd do is check the output with a multimeter. If it's solid and stable, it sounds like you need to replace the voltage regulator in that system.

Well any power adapter can go bad but first thing I'd do is check the output with a multimeter. If it's solid and stable, it sounds like you need to replace the voltage regulator in that system.

Well, since they both work fine with the other console I was just going to skip testing the AC adapters and go straight to testing the voltage regulator. If that checks out I'll replace any electrolytic capacitors and see if that does the trick. I'll definitely check the adapters if none of this check out, but at this point I'm just documenting which one came with the faulty system in case it contributed... may be less tolerant of abnormalities from mains power even if it tests OK, which could more readily damage the console during certain events.

Thanks!

Edited by CZroe

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like I have another variant (see the second one below). I'm not sure if one is more reliable than another, however my first 7800 was purchased in 2008 and it's power supply is still running.

This power supply came unboxed with a lose unit that I purchased in 2008

post-21941-0-06350900-1496099263.jpg

This power supply is part of a CIB 7800 (S/N A3 9B1 5287646). The console was mfg. in China and does not have an expansion interface.

post-21941-0-43603900-1496099416.jpg post-21941-0-47649200-1496099432.jpg

This power supply is part of a CIB 7800 (S/N A1 74 5825114). The console was mfg. in Taiwan and includes the expansion interface.

post-21941-0-08336200-1496099534.jpg post-21941-0-03975600-1496099552.jpg

• Like 1