IGNORED

TIPI - TI-99/4A to Raspberry PI interface development

You cannot easily replace the bus cable. It contains the address bus and the data bus, that is, 16+8 signal lines plus some more control lines that are in tight synchrony with the internal bus lines, up to 166 ns. You would need a system that runs with strong real-time constraints in some higher hundreds MHz area.

Tornadoboy:

No.

1st, I'm not interested in that work.

2nd, if we add suggestions like that, the project will never end,

3rd, if you don't like the peb firehose cable, I would recommend you switch to a PC. or Apple product. Just kidding...

The hardware design files for TIPI are all open and available. If this is something you want, go for it!

-M@

The previous message, I'm told came off as "testy"... Oops.

-M@

Why you son of a bitch bastard just kidding I figured it wasn't on purpose :-D

Just thought I'd throw the idea out there, I never pretended to know what I was talking about and knew there was probably a good reason nobody has come up with a smaller replacement, you may toss the idea in the trash and go about your way :)

Edited by Tornadoboy
  • Like 1

I'm just now starting my TIPI prep shopping for a Rpi3-B and have noticed all kinds of extras, kits, add-ons with or without the Rpi itself.

Power supplies, HDMI cables, fans, heatsinks, etc. Have any of you purchased a specific kit (without the case) that you would recommend? I'd rather not order from 1/2 a dozen individual places.

Also, until TIPI comes out... any application packages that would give it something to do?

I'm just now starting my TIPI prep shopping for a Rpi3-B and have noticed all kinds of extras, kits, add-ons with or without the Rpi itself.

Power supplies, HDMI cables, fans, heatsinks, etc. Have any of you purchased a specific kit (without the case) that you would recommend? I'd rather not order from 1/2 a dozen individual places.

Also, until TIPI comes out... any application packages that would give it something to do?

I have ordered this one multiple times and I'm very happy with all of my purchases..

HERE

• Like 1

Our goals are that heat sinks, and hdmi cables are not necessary.

But a sufficient power supply is necessary.

We plan to provide sdcard images almost all setup. TI facing software to set up the PI's networking will be provided. And then you will be able to perform any remaining maintenance with ssh from any PC/device on your network.

Eventually I intend for there to be telnet access from the TI to the PI.

-M@

• Like 5

We plan to provide sdcard images almost all setup. TI facing software to set up the PI's networking will be provided. And then you will be able to perform any remaining maintenance with ssh from any PC/device on your network.

I knew an HDMI cable was irrelevant to the TI/TIPI configuration, but figured I'd play with the Pi before I dedicating it for 100% TI use.

Since they are included, I'll use the heat sinks anyway, but I'm glad to hear a fan will not be necessary.

I'm starting to get the impression that people use different MicroSD cards in these things for different applications/configurations... sort of like how us TI'ers (pre FinalGROM day's) used to swap cartridges.

There a are a lot of people doing retro gaming on the pi: https://retropie.org.uk

I have been a huge fan of the Raspberry Pi since they first came out. I use the old ones for temperature/humidity sensing throughout my house, so the home automation system knows to do things like turn on exhaust fans in bathrooms or laundry room. I hooked one up to a 1920s era teletype to use it as a terminal, which is kind of pointless but fun. I am in the process of replacing the Arduino board with a RPII which I use to detect RFID cards for access to my lab. I used to use microcontrollers for stuff like this but when you get a full Linux stack on an RPI for the same price as a microcontroller board with network interfaces, they're just so appealing.

Of course TIPI will be the coolest use of a Raspberry Pi yet :)

• Like 1

I knew an HDMI cable was irrelevant to the TI/TIPI configuration, but figured I'd play with the Pi before I dedicating it for 100% TI use.

Since they are included, I'll use the heat sinks anyway, but I'm glad to hear a fan will not be necessary.

I'm starting to get the impression that people use different MicroSD cards in these things for different applications/configurations... sort of like how us TI'ers (pre FinalGROM day's) used to swap cartridges.

I think you'll find that the TIPI will be mostly software configurable, and you'll probably run the same MicroSD card and simply download new and shiny things right into it.

• Like 3

I think you'll find that the TIPI will be mostly software configurable, and you'll probably run the same MicroSD card and simply download new and shiny things right into it.

Well that is interesting. I personally have never played with one and really have no clue what to expect.

My hope is that the TI/TIPI configuration will be fast booting and somewhat invisible as an "install & forget it" type of thing.

Oooooohhh! What model teletype are you running there, @electriclab? I have a soft spot in my heart for those mechanical monsters, as I maintained many of them for about 20 years. . .

Ksarul, I'm glad I'm not the only one with admiration of these old mechanical beasts :) I have couple of model 15s that were Associated Press machines that have no keyboard (I'm looking to get rid of them actually, I saved them from scrap years ago) A model 15 KSR that looks like a museum piece, and one each of models 28, 32, 33, 43. As I'm sure you know, The 15 and the 28 machines pre-date ASCII by a few years and use Baudot, and these are the ones I use a Pi to print on.

I think I got the bug when my Dad had an old teletype in his ham shack when I was little, and got on the air with it when RTTY was done with real iron. I just love mechanical things like this and marvel over how complex and ingenious they are. They're terrible things to collect though since they are so heavy and take up space, so I really haven't added to the collection for years. The only one people are interested in is the 33 since a lot of people got their first computer experience by using one. I have no nostalgia for mine, so one of these days I'll try to sell it.

• Like 1

-M@

I'm just now getting back into the TI scene and I'm thrilled at the TIPi project since I have been tinkering with Pi's for a couple of years. Will TiPi pass through to the PEB connection, or will it need to be last in the chain and need the standalone 32K for memory expansion?

Doug

Final sideport boards will look very similar to that. I don't have a picture yet. But I have one built. They are slightly smaller than the above picture, so they are now the same dimensions as the 32k board. And the Raspberry PI 2x5 header is going to be a right-angle off the back.

As for what you hook up to the left and right, well that is your business. What is supported, will be less than what is possible. The Sideport TIPI has no power port. It expects to get it from the +5v pin on the 32k board's expansion header. The 32k board won't offer +5v on that pin, unless an external power supply is used (as designed).

---

Speaking of form factors... ElectricLab and I have grown to dislike the IDC ribbon cable depicted above. Firstly, it requires a standoff to connect to the Raspberry PI's GPIO headers. Secondly, I've made a dozen from parts with a proper crimping tool, and they don't work. So I'm trying cables with Dupont connectors instead.

But I've noticed the cables are going to need to connect to the PI from the top. Pretty cases that hide the GPIO port and offer some low profile, super pretty look are probably going to need refinement if they are going to fit at all.

-M@

• Like 4