IGNORED

Is there a way to copy STX files to real floppies?

Hi,

is there a way to re create a floppy from an STX file? i got some original games with bad floppies and i would like to try and recover them

thanks...

Nir

looks like it's not a straightforward format to convert. I would check to see if you can find the game online as an .msa or raw .st format.

I have some STX images loaded on my HxC2001 attached to a real ST. They work fine except for the drive always being B:

If you found a suitable track copier program, would that not work to make a real floppy from it?

The STX format is listed as supported but experimental for HxC.

• Like 1

I have some STX images loaded on my HxC2001 attached to a real ST. They work fine except for the drive always being B:

If you found a suitable track copier program, would that not work to make a real floppy from it?

The STX format is listed as supported but experimental for HxC.

STX on HxC is not for writing floppies, only to read from images.

STX on HxC is not for writing floppies, only to read from images.

True, but as long as they work with the HxC, then you can convert it to a raw format and write it back with suitable hardware (Kryoflux, SCP). And for the rare case with simple protections, you could even use a software copier like Procopy.

My (very long) TODO list includes to implement a more complete and reliable solution.

True, but as long as they work with the HxC, then you can convert it to a raw format and write it back with suitable hardware (Kryoflux, SCP). And for the rare case with simple protections, you could even use a software copier like Procopy.

My (very long) TODO list includes to implement a more complete and reliable solution.

What if you use the HxC as drive "B" (source drive) with a Discovery cart and the ST's real Internal floppy drive "A" (destination drive) I think you can write it back to a real floppy, am I right?

Edited by walter_J64bit

There are in quite lots of disks that only work from drive A:. But this can be solved by adding a switch to your ST that swaps the internal en external drives making the external drive A:.

Robert

• Like 1

There are in quite lots of disks that only work from drive A:. But this can be solved by adding a switch to your ST that swaps the internal en external drives making the external drive A:.

Robert

WOW, that's is very useful mod talk about moving the work load to your external drive.

Edited by walter_J64bit

What if you use the HxC as drive "B" (source drive) with a Discovery cart and the ST's real Internal floppy drive "A" (destination drive) I think you can write it back to a real floppy, am I right?

Yep. Never tried, but In theory that should work. And even if the HxC is the only floppy drive, you can still create Discovery Cart images files, either on a hard disk or on ramdisk.

I don't think that it will work with some bigger %-age of titles.

I could write here that I have SW what converts STX to ST and like, but that's not the point. Point is that writing from STX is still basically unsupported. I would not force it at all. Who wants to copy originals let go with Kryo or SCP.

It is year 2017. People getting rid of floppies. Not saying that we need totally stop work on it, but doing write support to STX is just too big task.

• 2 weeks later...

I have loaded and STX files into STEEM then copied that to a STEEM HD. Then in the main PC you can see the PRG, INF, etc files. Those can then be copied to floppy with the Win to ST copy program that can be found in here somewhere. (I do not recall it's name) This method takes some time to do, but if you really need to move files it is an option.

I have a Falcon with an SD card as the 2nd IDE drive. With HDDriver, I have a FAT 32 partition on the SD, and can easily move files from PC to ST/Falcon then to FD if needed.

I have loaded and STX files into STEEM then copied that to a STEEM HD. Then in the main PC you can see the PRG, INF, etc files. Those can then be copied to floppy with the Win to ST copy program that can be found in here somewhere. (I do not recall it's name) This method takes some time to do, but if you really need to move files it is an option.

I have a Falcon with an SD card as the 2nd IDE drive. With HDDriver, I have a FAT 32 partition on the SD, and can easily move files from PC to ST/Falcon then to FD if needed.

That is OK only for not copy protected stuff, and that's minority.

I have much faster way for transferring STX to ST - I wrote myself Windows program for that, and does it instantly. But I don't use it for later usage of such ST image files, but for extracting files from them, doing deprotected versions, or if there are no regular files, I can use image of floppy. Of course, there are some STX files where it works not at all - those with track loads for instance.

Here I must add that whole idea of "recovering original bad floppies" is very bad. If it is damaged. why you expect that writing on it will result in good readable floppy ? Instead that write on some floppy in good shape. And that is what will be soon not so easy to find.