IGNORED

Night Trap 25th Anniversary Edition Coming for PS4 & Xbox One

I looked but didn't see anything in Classic or Modern Gaming about this. It looks like everyone's favorite FMV game is getting a modern reissue courtesy of Screaming Villians and Limited Run Games. There was a Kickstarter campaign to release this a few years back which was unsuccessful, but apparently this is happening anyway.

Anyone planning to pick this up? It'll be nice to see this game remastered with HD quality video. It's interesting that after all the controversy surrounding the original release, the (uncut) reissue apparently got though the ESRB with a "Teen" rating.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/25/15424780/night-trap-ps4-xbox-one-25th-anniversary

http://nerdist.com/controversial-vintage-video-game-night-trap-is-getting-a-ps4-and-xbox-one-re-release/

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans
  • Like 1

I'll be getting this for sure.

I never really played the game as a kid, but always thought it looked AWESOME! (I love cheese and Dana Plato)

The footage I've seen is awesome! So crisp and clear they are really showing this title some love. Hopefully Limited Run Games plans to make a bunch of these.

I tried to snag an LP game soundtrack last week that went on sale at 10:00am EST, I showed up at 10:03am AST and they were SOLD OUT. :(

Getting a physical copy might not be very easy.

It's a minor point since I bet the improvement is temendous, but I can't imagine the video will be remastered in HD.

Surely with their seemingly low budget nature, they relied on videotape instead of going to the expense of filming this back then on 35 mm, which means they'd have to settle for upscaling the video source instead of making a true HD transfer like would be possible were it filmed (A quality 35 mm film frame is the equivalent of about 20 million pixels, compared to around 2 million on a 1080p tv display).

Still for the fans, it should be a huge boost compared to playing it on the Sega CD and such. For instance, the handful of videotaped episodes of The Twilight Zone still looked great on the Blu-Ray sets and far better than anyone ever saw them in, despite the source being limited to 480i/30fps by the 2" quad videotape that was the industry standard in the early 60's.

Hopefully it can even be in 60 fps. I think professional Betacam like they quite possibly utilized in the early 90's during production was 60 fps.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Hopefully Limited Run Games plans to make a bunch of these.

I believe they said they plan to release 7500 physical copies.

I tried to snag an LP game soundtrack last week that went on sale at 10:00am EST, I showed up at 10:03am AST and they were SOLD OUT. :(

Yeah, those tend to go quick. Out of curiosity, which one was it? I recently missed out on the Ninja Gaiden LP box set, which pretty much sold out immediately, although it looks like the regular version is back in stock so apparently they're planning to press more.

It's a minor point since I bet the improvement is temendous, but I can't imagine the video will be remastered in HD.

Surely with their seemingly low budget nature, they relied on videotape instead of going to the expense of filming this back then on 35 mm, which means they'd have to settle for upscaling the video source instead of making a true HD transfer like would be possible were it filmed (A quality 35 mm film frame is the equivalent of about 20 million pixels, compared to around 2 million on a 1080p tv display).

Obviously you're always limited by the quality (or lack thereof) of the original source media. But at least this time there won't be any serious limitations related to the delivery media or the hardware that the game is running on. The game will basically look as good as it can. A lot has happened in 25 years...the difference between CD and Blu-ray quality video is obviously substantial. It also appears from what they've shown so far that the video footage will be presented "open matte" so you'll be able to see things that were cropped out in the original release.

post-9346-0-07791200-1493908811_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Tangent: Not too long ago, I lived in the town of Moore, OK, where Dana Plato died in an accident that seems to blur the line between "tragic overdose" and "suicide". I currently live in the next town over. I could swear the last time I looked into this game, I found a record of exactly where it happened, but that data seems to have disappeared from the internet. Not sure why I feel the need to look it up, I just like weird coincidences.

Anyway, if an XB1 ever finds its way into my house, I'll probably get this. But for now, I still have the SegaCD version for its historical value.

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 1

I believe they said they plan to release 7500 physical copies.

Yeah, those tend to go quick. Out of curiosity, which one was it? I recently missed out on the Ninja Gaiden LP box set, which pretty much sold out immediately, although it looks like the regular version is back in stock so apparently they're planning to press more.

The soundtrack to Taito's original 1987 arcade hit, Darius. There was only like 350 being sold though. Hopefully it won't be impossible to get our hands on a physical copy of NightTrap.

7500 copies sounds like a lot, but not if 10,000 want one!! LOL

The soundtrack to Taito's original 1987 arcade hit, Darius. There was only like 350 being sold though. Hopefully it won't be impossible to get our hands on a physical copy of NightTrap.

7500 copies sounds like a lot, but not if 10,000 want one!! LOL

That soundtrack is literally the ONLY thing from Limited Run Games I wasn't able to purchase that I wanted- I got it into my cart, but by the time I hit 'checkout' it was gone. I don't type fast, so I imagine I should've used a different payment method instead of putting in my CC info. Ah well.

Anyway, tips for buying from Limited Run!

-always be online right as it goes live. Popular items can sell out in just a few minutes, and the current version of their checkout doesn't hold items- so you can have things disappear while you're entering your info.

-if you don't have an account, set it up beforehand & log in before the sale. Less typing during.

-start hitting 'refresh' as soon as the countdown hits zero. The page doesn't auto-reload.

-whenever possible, try and make your purchase during the morning release. That way if you miss, you have a second chance.

Voyeur on 3DO/Mac is much more fun/playable than this game. You CAN beat night trap but it almost necessitates using a guide.

EDIT:

Don't see this in their store, has it come and gone already, and if not anyone know a release date? May HAVE to pick this up just to play on a friends PS4

Edited by travistouchdown

• 3 months later...

Well, the day has come & gone. I got my copy. How'd everyone else do?

Barely got the PS4 standard edition, (after trying for the mega bundle, I REALLY wanted the game and the LP,) . Limited Run Games sucks ass trying to get product from. It basically like it used to be buying items off Amazon on Black Friday. You have about 20 second, and just have to HOPE your order gets processed before the other 10,000 people going for the 1500 copies of whatever game. Stressful and frustrating. Out of about 3 or 4 items I've gone for, this is the first time I've actually got the item.

• Like 1

Are they all gone? Was thinking of grabbing a copy how much was it?

They're quite gone, sold out in a few minutes. The Standard Edition was $30, I'm not sure about the others (I only wanted the standard edition.)

Sorry to hear about your troubles, moycon- I've always had really good luck with limited run games. The only thing I went for & didn't get was the Darius Twin LP they only made 500 of. Maybe I should start buying two of everything just to pass one along to someone...

• Like 1

They're quite gone, sold out in a few minutes. The Standard Edition was $30, I'm not sure about the others (I only wanted the standard edition.)

Sorry to hear about your troubles, moycon- I've always had really good luck with limited run games. The only thing I went for & didn't get was the Darius Twin LP they only made 500 of. Maybe I should start buying two of everything just to pass one along to someone...

Pretty sure they block this exact thing. They limit almost all of their releases to just one copy per person.

They only open up the restriction if they get past a certain point and still have copies... which never happens anymore. If they catch you trying to double dip, they cancel your entire order.

Limited Run Games really needs to figure out a new setup because their supply isn't remotely meeting the demand, and there's little reason for them to NOT increase the number they have.

Thankfully I've lost interest entirely and sold the only one I had.

Pretty sure they block this exact thing. They limit almost all of their releases to just one copy per person.

They usually limit it to 2 copies per person as far as I ever seen, they even explain why on their FB page which is many collectors like to order 2, one to play and one to keep un-opened. They did limit it to 1 copy per person on the Night Traps second run at 6pm, probably because the demand and bitching was so great.

HoshiChiri, Darius Twin LP was one of the items I tried for and lost out on in the past. Thankfully you can still order the LP just not in the cool red and blue marbled variant they were offering. I settled for the red version instead...

https://www.shiptoshoremedia.com/store/albums/zuntata-arcade-classics-volume-two-darius-

They usually limit it to 2 copies per person as far as I ever seen, they even explain why on their FB page which is many collectors like to order 2, one to play and one to keep un-opened. They did limit it to 1 copy per person on the Night Traps second run at 6pm, probably because the demand and bitching was so great.

HoshiChiri, Darius Twin LP was one of the items I tried for and lost out on in the past. Thankfully you can still order the LP just not in the cool red and blue marbled variant they were offering. I settled for the red version instead...

https://www.shiptoshoremedia.com/store/albums/zuntata-arcade-classics-volume-two-darius-

Right, you typically can purchase 2 copies when they go on sale at 10:00 AM, but they often limit you to 1 at 6:00 PM.

For anyone who wants it, the PC version is still available. They'll send you a Steam key on August 15. You'll get the physical release sometime in September.

Ah! I believe I did see that message on a later batch... Makes sense.

I'd argue the exact opposite would be better where you can order 1 at first and then they open to multiple copies later after everybody has at least had the chance to get one.

Of course, my mind has completely exited the idea of the collector mindset. I never saw a reason to keep an unopened copy of something.

I'm glad a remake has seen the light of day, but I am not a fan one bit of the Limited Run way of doing things. I get the idea of running something in a one-and-done fashion, but at least make enough copies to go around.

I understand the lack of copies to an extent... they're at the mercy of how many physical copies the license holder wants out there (it seems the powers-that-be are worried about them cutting into their more profitable digital sales). I've also seen a handful of titles stick around for over 24 hours, at which point LRG removes all purchasing limits. It certainly doesn't take the sting off for titles popular enough to get a lot more interest than normal.

What I don't get is sticking with their current online checkout system. I realize holding items in carts is problematic for a small run, where stock will start flicking in and out as unfinished purchases time out. However, the current system of 'nothing holds so your items can sell out while you're typing in your payment info' seems far worse. They've made in clear in the past they withhold a handful of copies anyway to have as replacements for damaged or lost shipments- I feel like they could keep items from unsold carts in that group to prevent stock fluctuations & keep their buyers a bit happier by not rushing them through payments.

They could change their checkout system to something like an Amazon Lightning Deal (or whatever they call it), where there is a waitlist you can join after all available copies are added to carts, but I'm not sure how much that will alleviate complaints. You'll still get people upset that something they wanted sold out quickly.

One thing about LRG games is that, even if you miss the LRG release, the games can still be purchased, though maybe only digitally. No one is unable to play a particular game if they miss out on an LRG release.

I think it's tricky to determine demand. One thing that was touched upon in the My Life in Gaming documentary about LRG is that, if a game doesn't sell out quickly, they get people wanting to cancel orders because, unfortunately, a lot of people are buying these games to flip later at an inflated price.