IGNORED

Night Trap 25th Anniversary Edition Coming for PS4 & Xbox One

So, taking into account the feedback from this & Wonder Boy's releases, LRG is trying a new tactic for this week's release of Y's Origins. The Limited Edition will release as usual, 3000 units per system (PS4 & Vita.) The standard Edition will be handled as a preorder, all orders placed within 24 hours of the game going live will be honored.

I think it's a good balance, keeping to their standard of truly limited releases while allowing for people who just want a copy to play to easily get one. LRG has also said via twitter this is a data-gathering released for them as well, to see if larger print runs are truly justified or not. I'll be curious to know just how many more (if any) they sell past a normal print run. I'm still debating on if I want to get up early and try for an LE to pass along to someone who misses it. I don't want it- I'm hoping to grab the PAX exclusive cover next weekend.

• Like 1

I have mixed emotions about this pre-order trial. Sure, I want enough copies to go around (I don't care about owning a game for rarity's sake) but if a game is that popular and needs to meet a high demand, LRG really should not be the one publishing the game. Ys is expected to be a popular title, so just order more copies of it initially. Or, pass on it and let another publisher take it on.

I'm against them doing pre-orders because I'm still waiting on Skullgirls that I pre-ordered last November. OK, that delay is out of LRG's hands, I know... but LRG still took my money and now they are about to do another pre-order when they still haven't honored the first. I may be in the minority, but I just don't like having my money tied up indefinitely.

Others have said that if LRG produces too many copies of a game, it will hurt them financially (to sit on thousands of unsold copies). Yes, that's true, but they are a business and businesses should take the financial risks - NOT pre-ordering customers.

I think the million dollar question is- how popular are these games really? I mean, a more typical release sells in the millions, these guys are doing runs of a few thousand- and sometimes that's not enough to garner a sellout (off the top of my head, last week's N++ and Deemo both lasted over 24 hours, had their purchasing limits removed, then lasted another day after that.) If something like Night Trap would've sold 10,000 copies, and they only have 7,000, that's enough people to raise a stink online but not enough to warrant moving away from a boutique publisher.

That's why this preorder thing is so interesting- just how many people do want these 'high demand' games? And just how much volume can LRG take? As glazball pointed out, the last preorder has been rather disastrous- was it really out of their control, or could it happen again? I really hope they share the numbers with us after this one, I want to see how it all plays out!

I"m basically done with Limited Run Games myself. I don't really want most of these titles, and I'm tired of the thought of having to race everybody within a minute.

I do have one thought for this though... Why not keep both system ideas and just make two runs?

Granted this would have to be limited to whichever games sold out within moments.

What I'm suggesting is to make two editions of a popular game. Have the "Limted Release First Edition" go up first with limited copies. Then do a second batch of "Second Editions" that are more preorder and delayed request.

This allows your collector's to attempt to get the First Edition while those who want the game to play can aim for a Second Edition. The difference? Literal letters or numbers on the case.

RetroRGB did an interview with them on his channel if anybody is interested. Honestly I just feel like it made me dislike LRG more...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Metal Jesus (Youtube channel Metal Jesus Rocks) did an interview with them... They've been interviewed a few times, and they have their "reasoning" for doing things in the style that they do.

The only thing worth noting (IMO) from his interview is (paraphrasing) "If you want reprints of the games we do, you'll have to go to the publisher cause we only have the license for our run."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMaJHKXMyJk

Metal Jesus (Youtube channel Metal Jesus Rocks) did an interview with them... They've been interviewed a few times, and they have their "reasoning" for doing things in the style that they do.

The only thing worth noting (IMO) from his interview is (paraphrasing) "If you want reprints of the games we do, you'll have to go to the publisher cause we only have the license for our run."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMaJHKXMyJk

Which, IMHO, is a bullshit excess. They are free to negotiate different contracts that would have a clause granting them a second run, if they wanted to. Sure some publishers would balk, but not all of them.

• Like 2

Which, IMHO, is a bullshit excess. They are free to negotiate different contracts that would have a clause granting them a second run, if they wanted to. Sure some publishers would balk, but not all of them.

Oh yeah, no totally. Their entire company seems like bullshit on how they handle things.

I've listened to a couple different interviews, and they're really more about collector's buying these than gamers. The collectors, scalpers, and resellers are their real market.

They seemingly sympathize with others who might be interested, but at the end of the day "they're a business". And thus... I'm just not interested anymore. I sold my only game I had from their set. I only had it because I bought it back when they didn't have such a large number of customers. I can't remember exactly when their popularity surged but... I'm not happy they aren't really trying to adjust it more than they have.

Granted, their original problem of "we only have so much money and each release is a gamble" was a legitimate problem... but they're past that now and actually have multiple employees. They should probably figure something out.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...