IGNORED

Ultimate 1MB not working HELP!

scotty

​OK guys.... here it is. Worked fine before I attempted the upgrade. What did I do wrong? Granted it has been 20 years since I soldered anything.... Eyesight is not what it once was, but am I missing something obvious?

dh7sc8.jpg5z4pah.jpgn65n47.jpg

Your solder joints look maybe a little large, and or the middle one on the bottom pic might have touched the next trace..

RE-check your joints under a magnifying glass and use an exacto blade to make sure your not touching.. Otherwise it looks like a pretty good install.

James

Edited by Bikerbob

I think the MMU ribbon is backwards. Pretty sure red wire for pin one is on the other side of the MMU socket.

Here is a 600xl install example.

http://www.van-radecke.de/abbuc/Bilder/U1MB_im_600XL_gross.jpg

That is what I thought, but in the pic I looked at as well as yours. the ribbon comes out of the bottom. That is why I did it, but I kinda thought the same thing. Trying now. Wish me luck.

Not enough info about what is not working, black screen, READY prompt, no sound..etc..

also have you installed the new bios yet..

No video. Black screen.

I think the MMU ribbon is backwards. Pretty sure red wire for pin one is on the other side of the MMU socket.

Here is a 600xl install example.

http://www.van-radecke.de/abbuc/Bilder/U1MB_im_600XL_gross.jpg

That is what I thought, but in the pic I looked at as well as yours. the ribbon comes out of the bottom. That is why I did it, but I kinda thought the same thing. Trying now. Wish me luck.

He's right. You've definitely got the ribbon cable to the MMU backwards. The red wire is pin 1, and it should be to the left.

post-30400-0-73411300-1493847694_thumb.jpg

That did it!! Thank you guys!! Now my ribbon cable for the keyboard is shot!!!! :( 2 of the pins are missing... :( Any easy fix??

Missing? Can you post a photo of the flat end?

For future reference, if you setup your workspace to give you the width, it's perfectly possible to work on most of what you'd need to do inside the machine without removing that cable; just lay the top of the case and keyboard over face down next to the base of the machine. Unless you absolutely need access to the bottom of the 800XL board, you don't need to remove it from the case at all.

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!

Worked great.... Keyboard and all.... Put case back together.... Now nothing. No power..... Nothing. DAMN!!!!

Power off. Unplug and let it sit for minute or two. Plug it back in. Power up ... if you get a black screen, press RESET and see what happens.

These things can be a bitch to install. Nine needed ribbon cable repin to get the correct orientation after installimg backwards. Also they don't include connectors for the pins on the board. I had no idea I needed them so I soledered wire to them at the board needing traces on the u1mb repaired. I sent mine away to be done.... My 1 and 2 keys dont work on my keyboard now after opening it up...why did I touch it??