IGNORED

Switch Online Service

godslabrat

So... Nintendo can put the Switch into a really good position if they can accomplish the following things:

1. Get favorable publicity
  2. Create a popular online service
  3. Attract third party developers

From the looks of things, they've done quite well at #1. #3 will likely follow from #1 and #2. So right now, Nintendo is prepping their online service for launch in the fall. How optimistic are you that Nintendo will make a worthwhile experience?

I think going by what they've done with their learning period over the last decade with the DSi toe tipping, then the Wii and WiiU you can see how things evolved. It was pretty bad and limited/laughable with single spot stuff, tied to system games, and asinine friend codes out of the gate. Now you're into this eShop which has evolved a good bit, and evolved further as time went along even more. You're into like a 3rd gen network now with them going into this pay racket and talking about being on the tier of the other fish now, but at a fraction of their price, and with games now tied to accounts not hardware. Things point to them doing it right, but they've caused that appearance before under 3DS/WiiU and well, better than worse, but still flawed, so we just need to wait and see.

So far I've used many early online communities / services and currently use Steam, XBL, and PSN. Frankly I have issues with all 3, not the least of which is actually using the stores to find stuff. I really liked the miiverse. I thought it was great to have these little built in boards and the touch screen drawings made it more interesting. But really, unless it connects to other popular services (which it probably won't to Steam etc) I can't see Nintendo suddenly being a power player online since the #1 issue is having users and those users want to easily play and chat with friends. Everyone already has deep investments with the other services. I'd love to be wrong.