IGNORED

Bought 5200 Prototype cart. Looking for info

supermth2

No, its on its way now. :/ any idea how i would open it?

It probably uses a standard shell. If so then there is one screw on the back but a few clips on either side. I broke a clip recently before I figured out that I just needed to press my metal spudger in from between the shells and free the clips from the bottom up.

If you want to do it I'd practice on a normal game first if I were you. :) I'll try to make a video soon.

Although perhaps not for the proto cart, but I've had a lot of luck opening 5200 carts by just banging on the top of it with a rubber mallet or the rubberized handle of some other tool. Haven't cracked a case or broken any clips yet.

Cool. I also used a trapezoidal-shaped razor blade and it can work too but it can mar the plastic. I slipped it in the space between halves then turned sideways to the thicker part for leverage+spread.

It's actually easier to reassemble the RF/EMI shield with one because it's almost as wide as the entire edge and the alignment slot is easily spanned. I just overlap the shields on one end and put the blade between the two halves on the other end, levering it slightly so that the sides don't have to expand any more than necessary (slips right over).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just looking for some info on it... maybe a value? https://goo.gl/photos/KDvknpEzG3rq5mAK6

that is a standard loaner cart. its rare, but most likely it has a soldered rom chip on the circuit board. a prototype would most likely have e-proms, sometimes in sockets, sometimes soldered to the circuit board. on most prototype 5200 boards i have seen, have four sockets, for up to 32k, using up to four 8k e-proms.

atari like others, would not want e-proms circulated on a loaner cart, those could be copied quite easy. the loaner carts were for game reviewers and beta testers, dealers, etc.

i have posted four of my own prototypes so far here,

http://forums.atari.io/index.php/forum/39-prototypes-vaporware/

just click on each title, millipede, asteroids, super pacman, and stargate. that will give you a idea what prototypes on the 5200 look like.

thanks,

lance

www.atarisales.com

that is a standard loaner cart. its rare, but most likely it has a soldered rom chip on the circuit board. a prototype would most likely have e-proms, sometimes in sockets, sometimes soldered to the circuit board. on most prototype 5200 boards i have seen, have four sockets, for up to 32k, using up to four 8k e-proms.

atari like others, would not want e-proms circulated on a loaner cart, those could be copied quite easy. the loaner carts were for game reviewers and beta testers, dealers, etc.

i have posted four of my own prototypes so far here,

http://forums.atari.io/index.php/forum/39-prototypes-vaporware/

just click on each title, millipede, asteroids, super pacman, and stargate. that will give you a idea what prototypes on the 5200 look like.

thanks,

lance

www.atarisales.com

Do you know which versions they are?

AtariProtos includes the various versions, such as with Stargate:

http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/stargate/stargate.htm

• 3 weeks later...