IGNORED

Video: Atari Replay Sound Sampler - A Quick Look

We have been having a bit of a discussion on the Replay sound sampling cartridge recently in another thread (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/264681-roy-orison-pretty-woman-sound-demo/), so I decided to produce a short video having a look at it for those who are not familiar with it.

Orignally produced in 1986 by 2-bit Systems Ltd in the UK, and later Gralin International in the early 90's. It originally cost about £40 (£108/$140 in today's money) in 1987 when I bought mine. Built to last, because mine still works as good as the day I bought it 30 years ago! :)

• Like 5

i just picked one up off ebay - but it may need attention

only cost £5.00, but hasn;t arrived yet, so not sure what fault is

Dean

my £5.00 cart works!

only thing is - the Wipe command isn't working properly - no matter what i do, i end up with the last ¼ (right side) of screen with a sound wave showing.

the "envelope" for the Wipe command drags in from the left, but nothing moves from the right...what am i doing wrong?

another question:

does Replay deal with extra ram? or is it limited to stock XL's ram?

thanks

Martin

I used to have one of these too. Great fun.

I just connected the adc on the éclaire, I thought I'd map it to the same address as the replay. Does it return an 8-bit sample on any read in the cartridge space? Any chance of posting the manual and software please?

Edited by foft
  • Like 1

Dean

my £5.00 cart works!

only thing is - the Wipe command isn't working properly - no matter what i do, i end up with the last ¼ (right side) of screen with a sound wave showing.

the "envelope" for the Wipe command drags in from the left, but nothing moves from the right...what am i doing wrong?

another question:

does Replay deal with extra ram? or is it limited to stock XL's ram?

thanks

Martin

Very nice for a fiver!

The wipe command problem is something I've either seen before or heard about in the very dim and distant past, but I can't remember what causes it. Is it just the waveform on the screen that isn't cleared, or is there still part of the sample left in RAM when you play? Is it an original 2-bit verison or later Gralin version you have? Have you tried it on more than one Atari?

It only deals with stock RAM. In fact, it was designed to run on an 800 and should have been supplied with a piece of dowel to keep the 800 cartridge lid open, but mine didn't come with one. I didn't have an 800 at the time anyway, so no loss!

• Like 1

it's the original - but front part of case is missing

i'm finding now that the wipe will work...but it's really hit n miss

it leaves part of the waveform visible on screen also

wish someone had a manual copy i could buy