IGNORED

Anyone Know This Gentleman?

DavidMil

Hello David

Nope, never heard of him.

Sincerely

Mathy

:grin:

Hello Mathy, nice to "meet you". I just saw your site today. I intend to give it a good going over tomorrow. There

is a tremendous amount of info on your site. I believe I shall be happy for several days looking at it.

Thanks,

David Milsop

Kingwood, Texas

• Like 1

Hello David

Nope, never heard of him.

Sincerely

Mathy

:grin:

One thing you will learn about me is that I am always want to understand things... sometimes strange things.

My parents lived in the Hague for several years in the late 80's. Before they left the US they called your country

The Netherlands, but when they got back they said everyone there preferred that you call it Holland. So which

would be a more correct way to name your country? Also my dad was thrilled that softball was right up there with

soccer as a favorite sport (but he hated the wooden shoes).

David

I think, Mathy totally prefers "The Netherlands". He doesn´t like it if we Germans call him a "Holländer". Actually this naming thing with The Netherlands is quite easy, just watch this explanation:

;)

• Like 6

This video is unbelivable cool.

My hometown is >now< next to the dutch border.

The "relationship" of our countries was

quite difficult because of the second world

war. So after the war, there was a bit of an

iron curtain instead of a "normal border".

Remember that the european union isn't that old

at all...

During the 70's there was a wonderful

commercial in german tv. A commercial about

cheese ;) To make the germans confusion complete,

they sung the song "Mrs. Antie brings cheese from

HOLLAND" in that commercial. So you may guess, what a whole generation... yes... including myself. When I met my wife, I made a (that!) move from the french to the dutch border, where I learned most of the details explained

in that clip.

But, while watching it today, I learnd A LOT more !

Thank you for that funny and educational clip !!!

Stefan

• Like 1

Hello David

Thanks for the compliment. (Thanks to all others too) Enjoy the reading!

What's not mentioned in the video, IIRC, is that especially people from the provinces South- and North-Holland call our country "Holland". A lot of the people in the rest of the country call those in the western part in our country "Hollanders". Unfortunately, those same people often call themselves "Hollanders" when abroad. But the official name is "the Netherlands".

BTW softball isn't that hot in the Netherlands.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

I think, Mathy totally prefers "The Netherlands". He doesn´t like it if we Germans call him a "Holländer". Actually this naming thing with The Netherlands is quite easy, just watch this explanation:

;)

I'm not sure if you're a genius or a very sick person to say that the explanation is easy. I have watched that video twice and my head is still spinning. It was like watching

a machine gun of information. I guess it is something you all have dealt with all your lives, so it makes sense to all of you. I have to say that it was cool. Correct me if

I'm wrong, but it sounds like it is a combination of personal and family history as well as what part of the Netherlands you live in; and to a smaller degree who you are talking

to, that makes one say either Holland or Netherlands.

Thanks to everyone for the information and the videos!

David

PS. Stefan, I love stuffed Bell Peppers, but here in Texas we smother them in Ketchup and sometimes onions too. Nice commercial from a simpler time!

DM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like it is a combination of personal and family history as well as what part of the Netherlands you live in; and to a smaller degree who you are talking

to, that makes one say either Holland or Netherlands.

I think your statement is absolutely right :-D I really don't mind if people call our country The Netherlands or Holland ;-) It is a matter of personal opinion.

When I hear Holland, I think of giant wind mills and never ending fields of tulips, AND some very fine wines too!

When I hear Netherlands I think more of a bustling industrial country. So being a country boy, I think I'd prefer

to lay in the tulips, watch the wind mills, and get very intoxicated on some fine wine!

David

PS. Sorry StormTrooper, but the thought of watching something more confusing just plain frightens me!

David

• Like 1

just on topic from a slav - in our lingo the normal usage is "Holandia". There is form "Niderlandy", but it is strongly archaic. So we knew it well hundreds of years ago when our bonds and trade was strong, later on we forgot the righter form.

Edited by pirx
  • Like 2

I'm not sure if you're a genius or a very sick person to say that the explanation is easy. I have watched that video twice and my head is still spinning.

I was as baffled as I was entertained until the very end. The info-graphic that lays out the component regions and then draws containers around them made it all pretty clear to me. Very informative.

I'll stick with the Netherlands, the whole Holland thing is like a state trying to rename a country. Look we're so big and popular let's rename the world..... no thanks... :)

LOL, no one in Holland thinks like that ;-) It is (I think) a bit similar with America and The United States of America.

Just like America the name Holland is also used by many Dutch TV shows, probably because it sounds better. For example a.o. The Voice of Holland, Holland's next top model, Holland's got talent etc.

So the correct titles would be The Netherlands next top model or The United States of America next top model :grin: :grin: :grin:

But okay Stefan, back on topic. Yes, we all know Mathy :D

Edited by Fred_M

Hello David

I have watched that video twice and my head is still spinning.

I've been living here all my life (half a century), and even I had to watch that video a couple of times before I could "digest" all the information in one sitting.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1