IGNORED

Anyone Know This Gentleman?

DavidMil

Hello guys

Just a small reminder: Fred_M is living in the province called "South-Holland". Where people don't mind if you call our country "Holland". Stormtrooper of Death lives in part of the country where many people do mind and so do I.

But as I also already said, we're not consistent in this: On many trucks, our country is called "Holland". Probably because Holland translates into something similar to "Holland" in most languages, where "The Netherlands" does not. But when a different country is also named on the truck, the Dutch name is usually used. We're a silly folk.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

This has been a very entertaining and enlightening (if somewhat confusing thread).

Mathy, I believe I'm going to try your piggy backed PIA to get two more joystick

ports on my 130Xe for Christmas when the family comes over and we all play MULE!

Thank you all!

David

• Like 1

Just a small reminder: Fred_M is living in the province called "South-Holland". Where people don't mind if you call our country "Holland".

:grin: :grin: :grin: So you think that because I live in South Holland, I don't mind that The Netherlands is often called Holland..... Hmmmmm I think that such a conclusion is way too simple. :-D :-D :-D

• Like 2

Exactly Fred ! I live near Rotterdam too, also in the province Zuid-Holland but I absolutely HATE it when foreigners call Nederland (or...The Netherlands) Holland.

Holland is only a part of Nederland.

Yes really, even a tiny country like ours has regions/parts/provinces....

Calling Nederland Holland is VERY typical for foreigners to do. I'm sorry but if you call Nederland Holland as a foreigner, you are loosing status with Nederlanders (which are called Dutch for another totally stupid reason by foreigners........jeezzz !!!)

So, if you want to be liked and admired by us, at least say "The Netherlands, Niederlande or Pays-Bas ( that one only if you really must) ....but not Holland....

And whoever thought that there were more than one Nederland ? I mean, The Netherlands is plural, but really there is only one Nederland.

And despite the fact that we complain a lot about it, it's the Greatest Nation on earth.

Amen.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Hello guys

Just a small reminder: Fred_M is living in the province called "South-Holland". Where people don't mind if you call our country "Holland". Stormtrooper of Death lives in part of the country where many people do mind and so do I.

I live in South-Holland, but I _DO_ mind.......see above ;)

• Like 1

But maybe we should rerturn on topic: I haven't met Matty (yet) but our contacts have been great so far. He's a cool guy. Like most of the Nederlanders...... :D

They landed where ? :)

Haven't met him too, but had nice

conversations and his website is

awesome.

Hope I'll met him on an event some day.

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both

Hello pixelmischief

Mathy is a cad and a bounder and he needs to send me one of everything he makes. =)

I have no clue what the first part (seven words) of that sentence means.

I haven't made any of the stuff that's on my site. Except for the CD/DVD stuff (the TurboBASIC software), some of the pictures and of course the site itself. I was a beta-tester for Lee's MyDOS stuff (and we've talked about MyDOS and the features it needed a lot) , the idea for the boot-CD (boot your Atari XL/XE from a CD) was mine, as was the idea that U35 could have been a 74LS95B. As was the idea for the T:Edit version that will support D5:, D6:, D7: and D9:. What I meanly do is collect information that interests me, isn't presented on the web yet, but that in my opinion has to be kept somewhere.

Sincerely

Mathy

Hello Level43

I haven't met Matty (yet) but our contacts have been great so far. He's a cool guy. Like most of the Nederlanders...... :D

I only get "uncool" when people start spelling my name wrong.

Sincerely

Mathy

:D

Oh, those are a couple of antiquated insults. They don't mean anything anymore. It was an attempt at humor by way of an exaggerated insult followed up by a validating plea. Clearly it failed. =)

I got it. When it is written ( or said) in this manner it is actually a complement, but at the same time poking a little fun at someone you like or approve of.

David

And yes, it is a very old saying. Sometime around the middle to early 1800's I believe.

Edited by DavidMil