IGNORED

Competition Pro Joystick problem

rapoza609

I bought a competition pro joystick for the 5200 but it only seems to work in one direction. The action buttons work just fine. I opened it up and everything looks clean. I cleaned the contacts on the micro switches but I'm still having the problem. I'd hate to write off this controller as they're a little expensive. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Do micro switches go bad after idling for too long?

My standard controller's flex circuit is busted. No buttons or even the joystick work so I have to use my 5200 trackball controller. My wico joystick works fine this way.

Yeah, I just saw and responded to your other topic about that controller. I'm not 100 percent sure, but I suspect the trackball won't provide the necessary calibration function that a working standard controller would. The Wico doesn't need any outside calibration... the Y-cable there is just to provide the keypad functions.

It's definitely not the port because the wico joystick works fine as does the trackball. I'm wondering if because the command controller is a micro switch joystick it's not able to sync with the trackball where the wico can because it's analog.

Glad it's not the port or the console! If by command controller you're referring to the Competition Pro, I suspect you're right. As I suggested in the other thread, consult some detailed instructions on re-assembling the standard controller, making sure to get those tiny white "legs" on the potentiomenters aligned into the proper position. It's super easy to mess that up! If you can get the joystick on the standard controller working, it should then allow the joystick on your Comp Pro to function properly as well (although you'll still need to get at least the Start button working on the standard controller to play most games.)

i'm not sure what your skill level is i assume its fairly high due to you cleaning the microswitches

the controller system is fairly simple if you compartmentalize the functions in your mind 1]the directions,2]the fire buttons,]3 the matrix keypad

first off yes the controller will not work if you use a trackball the controller is unlike the wico in which it only utilizes the matrix the comp pro uses the original joystick to center the digital stick

it is possible to make a little dongle that does the same thing with a 15 pin plug a couple 240k resistors one between 9 and 10 the other between 9 and 11 and a push button for start across pins 4,7 it is enough to "play" about 75% of the games

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My Competition Pro worked fine, until I disassembled my genuine 5200 sticks to clean the buttons. I think I'm going to get a Best Elec Gold Dot mod for 2 controllers and sure the third controller as a pad hack for a fight stick, like the Competition Pro itself.

I guess if you get a Best Elec job, you'll get proper tuning of potemtiometers, and should hook up to a fight stick/ Comp Pro.

Also I HEARD the 2 categories of games that fail with the Competition Pro fall into 2 categories, One is analog games, for which it's just not the proper tool for the job. The other, and I think Bounty Bob would considered one, is "4-Way games"

I think there might be lazy coders wo assume you're always going to use a stock 5200 controller, and make certain assumptions, like if ABS (x) => 80% then it follows ABS(Y)<= 60% AMking the sensitivity %80+ makes it so diagonals are a dead zone. If saves memory and labor to say if X>80% and ignore Y, than it is to say If X>80% AND Y<60%, plus adding the code for the diagonal you want to lock out. I think Popeye is a 4-way game, you're supposed to press up/down to walk the steps, not a diagonal. Mojuntain King is like that too.

But the problem is that X and Y are are always either +-100% or 0% X=100% and Y=100% is not possible with a stock 520 stick, but is possible with the Pro.

If my theory is correct, there are 2 ways to prevent this. One is putting a physical limiter on the Competition Pro, like a 4/8 way switch gate. The other is a device in the vein of a device used for Hitboxes to be legal in a fighting game.

There is a cheat where you can press left and right simultaneously on a hitbox. It was eventually considered cheating, so in order to use it, they developed a Simultaneous Opposite Cardinal Direction Scrubber where the circuit takes over if you press left and right or up ad down at the same time. Maybe a toggleable Simultaneous Any Cardinal Direction Scrubber attached to the Competition Pro, and might as well while you're adding something, adding a toggleable button swapper so that a lefty can use that controller better.