IGNORED

Send us News, Earn Free Forum Subscription!

Albert

Greetings!

I’d like to enlist the help of the community to keep the front page of AtariAge full of current and relative classic gaming news. It’s tough for me to do this by myself—I don’t see everything interesting that’s posted across the internet that might be of interest to AtariAge visitors, and putting together news items for the front page in a competent manner is time consuming.

I’d love to see at least one item a day posted, and hopefully more. I’m betting there are a few people here that might have the time and desire to help.

For every posting that I use on the front page, I will add one month to your AtariAge subscription. If you don’t have one yet, I’ll give you one (one month initially for the first posting I use).

Here’s what I am looking for in news postings:

1. One or more paragraphs that form the meat of the news item. Be succinct, but include important details. Please include any relevant links. Do not plagiarize text from other websites, unless it’s taken from a press-release. I will check!

2. Create a title for your news item. Keep it as brief as possible.

3. Include relevant links within your text.

4. Include one or more relevant photos. Sometimes I might use an image as a thumbnail, other times I will post a larger image or images.

5. Include a link to a video if that is more relevant than a photo.

6. Include a Link to a forum thread on AtariAge if one already exists. If not, then I will create one when I post the news item.

7. Include a link where one can learn more information about the news item. This will usually be linked in the news text somewhere, but I will also use this link for any images/thumbnails included with the posting.

Please send news submissions directly to me. I will review submissions and decide which are posted to the front page. I’ll usually edit items before they appear on the front page, so don’t be surprised if what is posted is not exactly the same as what you submitted. Sometimes I may edit the text heavily. Some items will also be reposted to social media (Twitter, Facebook and Instagram).

Even if an item doesn’t get posted to the front page, I may start a new thread (if one doesn’t already exist) so the news item can be discussed in the forum.

I will credit the news posting with your forum handle, unless you prefer to remain anonymous.

News topics should be classic gaming-related in some fashion. They do not have to be Atari-specific, since we have many active discussions for non-Atari systems in the forums (ColecoVision, Intellivision, TI-99/4A, etc.)

Here are some relevant subject areas:

• Atari-related news (that is, when Atari itself does something newsworthy)

• New and interesting hardware projects

• New software/homebrew releases for classic game systems and computers

• Significant emulator releases

• Announcements for classic gaming expos/events.

• Relevant interviews

• Books that have a classic gaming slant

• Crowdfunding campaigns

• Prototype discoveries

• News about development tools

• Interesting contests

This list is by no means comprehensive. If it’s classic gaming related and you feel it’s newsworthy, ping me to see if it’s something I might post on the front page. If so, you can then write it up and submit it.

You can browse through old news postings here:

Feel free to use the search field to find posts on specific subjects (for instance, 'expo", "prototype", "homebrew", "book", "stella", "interview"..

Once I post something you’ve submitted, I’ll extend your forum subscription by a month. If you don’t have a subscription, I’ll upgrade your account so it has one. If you are particularly active in submitting news items I post to the front page, I may from time to time send you AtariAge-related swag and/or games.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Have fun!

..Al

• Like 16

This is NES related, but it is one of the most exciting things I've seen in recent times. NESMaker is a new tool (currently unreleased) that will allow people with limited programming knowledge to create their own NES games. icon_smile.gif

https://sourceforge.net/projects/nesrommaker/- Project page

Demonstration:

(Sorry if this is old news. I'm not looking for a subscription... I just thought this was super cool and thought I'd share.)

This is NES related, but it is one of the most exciting things I've seen in recent times. NESMaker is a new tool (currently unreleased) that will allow people with limited programming knowledge to create their own NES games. icon_smile.gif

https://sourceforge.net/projects/nesrommaker/- Project page

Demonstration:

(Sorry if this is old news. I'm not looking for a subscription... I just thought this was super cool and thought I'd share.)

That project is listed as being started in 2008 and there is nothing to download :(

EDIT: But there is still this NESmaker gem.....

Edited by Shawn

Has Lynx flash cart ever been to the front page yet? It's already sold a couple hundreds and the waiting list is still fairly long, I am sure Lynx fans who visits AA site but doesn't go to Lynx sub-forum would be happy to hear there's a way to play several dozen Lynx games without paying as much as $100 per game.

• Like 2

That project is listed as being started in 2008 and there is nothing to download icon_sad.gif

I found the information in an email from a nocheckpoint newsletter (that I don't remember signing up for) a couple of days ago.

post-5032-0-47523600-1494420661.png

Here's the documentary link mentioned in the email:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1316851183/the-new-8-bit-heroes-new-nes-game-and-creation-doc

From the vimeo comments, the author of that demo responded to an inquiry about the tool:

https://vimeo.com/200759239#comment_15711556

Joe Granata - 2 days ago

"... be keeping an eye out this fall for info. :-)"

Well, we can hope.

Has Lynx flash cart ever been to the front page yet? It's already sold a couple hundreds and the waiting list is still fairly long, I am sure Lynx fans who visits AA site but doesn't go to Lynx sub-forum would be happy to hear there's a way to play several dozen Lynx games without paying as much as $100 per game.

No, it has not. That's definitely newsworthy.

..Al

I like this. I check engadget,gizmodo,and a handful of news aggregator sites for general tech news, but there never was really one for retro gaming. There should be. There's tons for modern gaming(all pulling from the same video game news sources), why not retro? Surely there's more news than once every 2.5 months. :)

• Like 1

I like this. I check engadget,gizmodo,and a handful of news aggregator sites for general tech news, but there never was really one for retro gaming. There should be. There's tons for modern gaming(all pulling from the same video game news sources), why not retro? Surely there's more news than once every 2.5 months. :)

Yes, there is quite a bit of news, really. We could easily have several items a day up on AtariAge. :)

..Al

• Like 2

I seem to remember that the home page posts would show up on the main forum page in the top right above Status Updates, or am I just getting old?

It would be nice if it is there also, seems like it would be more important than some of the rambling musing we get now ;)

I seem to remember that the home page posts would show up on the main forum page in the top right above Status Updates, or am I just getting old?

It would be nice if it is there also, seems like it would be more important than some of the rambling musing we get now ;)

Twitter posts on the AtariAge account used to update my status, but I disabled that at some point. It certainly would be possible to create a "Latest News" box on the right, and have that sit above the status updates.

..Al

• 4 weeks later...

Er, are these getting used? If so, where? I've submitted two articles and have received no acknowledgement of their receipt. I mean, even a rejection is better than NOTHING.

Sorry, I was gone for about ten days, so was stalled by that. I posted one of your news items on Wednesday, and then posted another about the Souther-friend Gaming Expo (which takes place this weekend) yesterday. I gave you a month subscription for the news I posted on Wednesday. I'd love to get at least one news item up day, if not more! I'll go track down the other one you sent me as well.

Thanks,

..Al