IGNORED

OT - Get less stuff!

digdugnate

I thought this was pretty funny so I wanted to share an interaction with my wife and I about my *ahem* growing collection of TI-99/4A stuff. This came about after I got another package in the mail today. :)

(Full disclosure: we get along really well but give each other a hard time all the time)

i was lamenting that i was out of space in my 'TI tote' (that has my disks, carts, tapes, manuals) and hadn't gotten around to putting up shelving- you know what her solution was? "Buy less TI stuff."

Buy less stuff! Clearly this is an unreasonable request. ;)

• Like 1

Mine just keeps "screaming" make all of your junk disappear! I want to use that part of the house for something else. . .that isn't going to happen. She's been after thar result for 18 years (half her life), and she's no closer to victory now than she was at the start. One would think she'd realize that my TI stuff is the equivalent of the immovable object. . .but I suspect she'll be at it until the day I pass on. :grin: :grin: :skull: :skull:

• Like 2

my man cave is an attached garage that is insulated and I extended climate control (cough hacked the kitchen register into a small port so its not balls hot or nuts cold in there) and its amusing to watch

its not that big of a space being a 1 car garage full of nerd shit, but its like she walks into a mayan ruin... and she is sand bagging a empty amazon box like she is doctor jones snatching the gold artifact and running like hell

• Like 4

It's not so bad over here. I have the basement to do with as I please and everything looks great when i clean up since it all has it's place even with 4 computers setup all the time.

I run in to trouble when my better half starts seeing a bunch of "Payment to PayPal" remarks all over the bank statements. I've gotten in to trouble more than once.

Side Story: We were given a PS1 without any games or a controller. I spent 45 bux on a controller for my boy this past christmas. he hasn't purchased a single game for it and only uses the PS4.

He asked me if he could sell it. (The PS1 with controller) - I denied him that. I said, I've sold off my Amiga, and gotten rid of my TI and multiple other consoles and gadgets over the years. it takes about 5-10 years to completely regret it and that's why I've purchased most of them again over the past several years. We'll put it in a box and save it for at least 10 years then maybe consider selling it. After I investigate all the mods for it and other fun things people will do to them once they're forgotten in time.

That argument isn't over I think. But I'm holding on strong.

I'm willing to trade it for more retro gear though. I just haven't figured out a fair deal. I'm looking for a spare working amiga 500. But that's a tale for a different day.

• Like 1

I run in to trouble when my better half starts seeing a bunch of "Payment to PayPal" remarks all over the bank statements. I've gotten in to trouble more than once.

I just transfer a lump of cash from bank and it gradually disappears as things show up in the mail... then I reload

My wife often comments about the "excess stuff" that I don't use.

• Like 3

I don't get any trouble over it. If anything, my girlfriend is happy when I get something for myself.

I'm usually spoiling her buying her make-up and perfume (she has a very fine and grand perfume collection I'm proud to have helped create!) so she very well knows about having stuff you love.

• Like 1

I don't get any trouble over it. If anything, my girlfriend is happy when I get something for myself.

I'm usually spoiling her buying her make-up and perfume (she has a very fine and grand perfume collection I'm proud to have helped create!) so she very well knows about having stuff you love.

My wife is too, but that doesn't stop her from mock-eye rolls and 'MORE stuff?' hehe. I spoil her rotten, too.

• 3 weeks later...

If my wife had her way she would have me get rid of every last piece of TI related items...

I told her that's why I have my man cave and you have your chic cave...

She stays out of mine and I stay out of hers. :D

Sadly my Katie and I share a studio. Yeah. (This might explain my PEB aversion?)

She has her room, I have mine. As long as none of it leaks out of the room, I can pack it with what I want. Luckily she doesn't include the Mame cabinet as part of that, her only demand was it have a CRT and a trackball for Centipede. It sits in the Family room.

• Like 1

a funny- our laser printer is right next to my tote of TI carts/etc. When my wife was switching media to card stock she had to move my tote and I told her 'Be careful of all my valuable vintage TI stuff'.

She just rolled her eyes at me and shook her head, lol.

We have a lot of fun with each other. :)