IGNORED

2600 Carry case

Atari_Bill

After years of wanting one of the 2600 carrying cases I finally picked one up about 6 months ago. Of course now a better opportunity presents itself and I was able to snag this for just about the same price I paid for the loose version. Still factory sealed!! I debated on buying a second one, but for the price and the rarity of the box I couldn't pass it up. It's in great shape!!

post-14461-0-69681200-1494722234_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

After years of wanting one of the 2600 carrying cases I finally picked one up about 6 months ago. Of course now a better opportunity presents itself and I was able to snag this for just about the same price I paid for the loose version. Still factory sealed!! I debated on buying a second one, but for the price and the rarity of the box I couldn't pass it up. It's in great shape!!

I like your nail polish. :D :ponder: :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like it's only for four switchers.

I've noticed a difference in how the heavy sixer and four switch consoles sit within the case. The heavy tends to slide around a bit (guess its due to the rounded edges), while the four switch seems to lock in place. So I would agree that it was designed for primary use with a four or light six switch console.

It would be interesting to find out when these cases were manufactured. I'd guess that it was after the design change from heavy to light console casings.

• Like 1

This is the first time I've seen the carrying case. Now I have to have one! :mad:

I take my Vader back and forth on an almost daily basis, so this is a must have accessory for me.

I do have a question though.. How sturdy are the latches and the hinge?

I've had countless plastic tool cases that ended up failing at one of those points, due to the type of plastic or how thin it was.

I do have a question though.. How sturdy are the latches and the hinge?

I've had countless plastic tool cases that ended up failing at one of those points, due to the type of plastic or how thin it was.

I can only say my one has been thrown around for the last 20 odd years and still rock solid. In fact found it on a roadside collection pile. The plastic case itself is textured too touch and tough. The hinges/latches are molded and simple. The latches do appear to be thin overall including where they attach to the case lid. However, the mechanism used in order to close the case, and engage the latches, is quite good with little movement. Unless someone has deliberately forced back the latches past their normal operating movement, I'd say it's sturdy. IMO

I can only say my one has been thrown around for the last 20 odd years and still rock solid. In fact found it on a roadside collection pile. The plastic case itself is textured too touch and tough. The hinges/latches are molded and simple. The latches do appear to be thin overall including where they attach to the case lid. However, the mechanism used in order to close the case, and engage the latches, is quite good with little movement. Unless someone has deliberately forced back the latches past their normal operating movement, I'd say it's sturdy. IMO

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear these were built to last. I'll start tracking one down right now!

• Like 1

I've also had mine since I was a kid. Very sturdy. The hinge structure in back is very well designed. Not a weak point at all. Nor are the latches up front. The only weak point is the handle. It actually broke on me. Cracked in two. However, I still have the original handle, both parts, absolutely repairable, and a perfect replacement in place that is exactly identical to the original. Acquired it from a smaller case that used the same handle, manufactured by the same company.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear these were built to last. I'll start tracking one down right now!

Good luck. They show up on eBay from time to time, usually lose or with a system. I'd love to have a box for mine.

@Atari_Bill - congrats on your pickup. :thumbsup:

- Looks like one showed on eBay. Pretty pricey, but you could always make an offer and see if the seller accepts it. eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2824590687881?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=282459068788&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Edited by sramirez2008

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

What are these cases actually worth?

I've got a 2600, with about 8 games, some controller repair kits and this case I'm looking at selling. Just wondering what I can actually ask as it's hard to find prices online for them

Cheers :-)

Adam

How do you intend to sell it? Were you going to offer it to people on these forums or put it on eBay? If you find a buyer on the forums, I'm sure they will offer you a fair price.

If it's going on eBay, it's value is whatever someone is willing to pay. Start the auction at $20 with free shipping and see what happens. That's the best advice I can give.

Honestly mate, I'd much rather it all go to a good home. Seen a few people wish they had one and mines just sitting in storage.

I found some old pics I took a while ago of the collection.

I'll post some :-)

I do live in Australia, but if someone wants it then I'm happy to arrange for it to be posted.

Honestly mate, I'd much rather it all go to a good home. Seen a few people wish they had one and mines just sitting in storage.

I found some old pics I took a while ago of the collection.

I'll post some :-)

I do live in Australia, but if someone wants it then I'm happy to arrange for it to be posted.

Thanks for posting the pics. There are some members here from Australia, so there's a chance someone here would be interested.

I'm no expert on prices, but I have been shopping around for Atari items for a while now, everything you have there is pretty easy to find on eBay, except that case. I honestly couldn't tell you what it's worth, since it really comes down to who wants it and what they are willing to pay. I was looking for one a little while back, but my limited funds mean it's WAY out of my price range, just for the shipping. I ended up buying a 2600 Jr. since it's smaller and easier to transport than my other 2600. Hopefully you'll find a good home for this . :)

I love this case. I might eventually need one.

I prefer the one that we had back then, though...ours looked basically like a turntable set-up, smoked plexiglass and all. 8)

One small downside? It only held maybe a dozen games. The others stayed in a lidded shoebox.

This one was from back in the day too. ;)

This was made specifically for transporting your 2600, joysticks, paddles and games to your friends house to play! :-o

The one your are referring to was more of a "Dust cover". It just kept your system organized and clean, but it wasn't useful for taking your system on a trip. :P

I really like the old turntable organizers though, they just look awesome. What this case lacks in style, it makes up for in portability. :grin:

This one was from back in the day too. ;)

This was made specifically for transporting your 2600, joysticks, paddles and games to your friends house to play! :-o

The one your are referring to was more of a "Dust cover". It just kept your system organized and clean, but it wasn't useful for taking your system on a trip. :P

I really like the old turntable organizers though, they just look awesome. What this case lacks in style, it makes up for in portability. :grin:

Yep, obviously it's a vintage case and is intended for travel. I like it quite a bit, aesthetically, but I'd probably never actually use it. I prefer the 'home' version, intended to be placed near a TV. Trying to find a pic of the exact version we had....I do know that it came from either E. J. Korvettes or Newberry's.....

(Any NYers in the house? ;))

I've noticed a difference in how the heavy sixer and four switch consoles sit within the case. The heavy tends to slide around a bit (guess its due to the rounded edges), while the four switch seems to lock in place. So I would agree that it was designed for primary use with a four or light six switch console.

It would be interesting to find out when these cases were manufactured. I'd guess that it was after the design change from heavy to light console casings.

Since it is called "Atari 2600 Carrying Case" and has an Atari 2600 in its picture, I would assume they were manufactured after the design change from Woodies to Vaders and name change from Atari VCS to Atari 2600.

Since it is called "Atari 2600 Carrying Case" and has an Atari 2600 in its picture, I would assume they were manufactured after the design change from Woodies to Vaders and name change from Atari VCS to Atari 2600.

Yep, I remember making this correlation as a child. In my mind at the time, there were sort of like two 'eras' separated by just a couple years - Woodgrain systems went along with the earlier-style carts like these:

post-61233-0-64659200-1499520186_thumb.jpg

....And a bit later came the system with the glossy black front, the 'Vader', that I associated with the silver/rainbow stripe carts:

post-61233-0-67064400-1499520180.jpg

It seems like this style came a bit later, never had many of these as a kid:

post-61233-0-53961900-1499520332.jpg

• Like 1