IGNORED

D2K ARCADE SPECIAL EDITION ROM now available!

Just got mine today. Having issues with characters walking off platforms when I start to move to jump. I also got DK arcade as well and the elevator level timing with the bouncing things is broken because you can't climb the final ladder to the girl without getting hit. Why did whoever made DK ii jumpman returns ramp up the difficulty when the original game's was fine. It's like those people on gamefaqs who make levels for the mario vs donkey kong games making insanely hard levels and claiming you can't beat them. I swear they don't even play test them like whoever made the donkey kong sequel and the difficulty is made worse by the lame Intellivision controls. I can't even reach level 7 of Old School cause of them. Mom gets upset when I cuss out games and throw controllers saying I don't need to.

With dk arcade try it in Japanese mode (game 2). Japanese mode lets you play the elevator screen on level 1; with US mode you have to play elevators on level 2. On level 1 elevators you can get to the top in one go from the top girder, on level 2 elevators you might have to first get closer to the ladder (not sure). With d2k arcade are you playing the special edition variation or original d2k? Try old skool in emulation to see if the controllers make a difference; the intellivision disc is very good with 4-way games. Be aware that the programmers do read these forums and be careful with those controllers.

Edited by mr_me

• 2 years later...
On 5/15/2017 at 11:03 PM, Carl Mueller Jr said:
The special edition has two new boards, making for a complete version of the arcade ROM hack Jumpman Returns. It also has the original "Intellivision" version, a new intro, and a new "how high can you get screen".

It also had the ability to save two high scores, but that has been removed for compatibility with emulators.

Why did you remove the Save High Scores Option? Why not have one version with High Score Saving  for LTO Flash owners and another version with the High Scores saving feature removed for people using emulators? Just ask people to state which version they want.

On 5/15/2017 at 7:44 PM, Carl Mueller Jr said:
Hi all,

The D2K Special Edition ROM is now available. Here are the instructions for obtaining the ROM:

1. Send a $20 donation to cmjrd2k@gmail.com.

2. Send me an email to carljr17@hotmail.com letting me know you've made the donation. Also let me know what nickname or other you would like to appear in the in game credits (18 characters max).

3. I will reply with the ROM as an attachment. You'll of course get all materials, digitally (instructions, overlays, etc.) as well.

As usual, I ask you to not distribute the ROM. Your name will be encoded in the ROM, after all. If anyone attempts to hack the ROM the game will be distorted and unplayable. Just a fair warning. ;-)

Thanks again, Carl

Carl, are you still selling the DK Arcade Special Edition ROM and is it a LTO Flash only ROM?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ChuckH said:

I'd be interested in a non-lto version if it's possible to get. Thanks. Don't even know what Lto is, actually.

LTO Flash is a cartridge produced by Joe Zbiciak under the name Left Turn Only.  It's way more than just another cartridge that can store your entire Intellivision library.  It also allows for encrypted ROM files that is specific to one particular cartridge.  There are other hardware features too, such as JLP which allows for: extra RAM, real-time multiplication and division, saving game progress and high scores to cartridge, and extra CPU instructions.

With these LTO Flash carts in distribution, homebrew developers have started selling encrypted ROM images for their games that will only work on the one cartridge with the matching ID (known as DRUID).

4 hours ago, Zendocon said:

LTO Flash is a cartridge produced by Joe Zbiciak under the name Left Turn Only.  It's way more than just another cartridge that can store your entire Intellivision library.  It also allows for encrypted ROM files that is specific to one particular cartridge.  There are other hardware features too, such as JLP which allows for: extra RAM, real-time multiplication and division, saving game progress and high scores to cartridge, and extra CPU instructions.

With these LTO Flash carts in distribution, homebrew developers have started selling encrypted ROM images for their games that will only work on the one cartridge with the matching ID (known as DRUID).

OK. I thought that might be it. I have an Atarimax SD cartridge for ColecoVision which must be similar. I'll shoot Carl an e-mail and see what he says. Thanks.

• Like 1