IGNORED

800 XL S-Video?

toddtmw

It looks like some (alll?) 800XL's do not support S-Video. It sounds like some of the later ones do?

Does anyone know how I can tell without an S-Video cable and without opening my 800XL? (Serial range, some sort of BASIC program graphics test, etc)

Is there a better (read cheaper) place to get a monitor cable than the B&C Computer Visions eBay auction?

Sorry, a lot of questions. Thanks!

-Todd

It looks like some (alll?) 800XL's do not support S-Video. It sounds like some of the later ones do?

Does anyone know how I can tell without an S-Video cable and without opening my 800XL? (Serial range, some sort of BASIC program graphics test, etc)

Is there a better (read cheaper) place to get a monitor cable than the B&C Computer Visions eBay auction?

Sorry, a lot of questions. Thanks!

-Todd

I don't think you CAN tell for sure. I don't believe any NTSC 800XL's do, though I think PAL units do. I have a Rev C 800XL from late 1984 and it did NOT have S-video until I modded it. If all you want is to add Chroma to the stock video circuit, all you need to do is solder one wire. Very, very simple mod.

I'm not certain, but believe that later 800XLs that came with Rev.C BASIC also had the color output connected to the DIN video port.

The version of BASIC can be discovered by a "PRINT PEEK(43234)"

162= Revision A

96= Revision B

234= Revision C

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198754-current-best-s-video-picture-improvement-mod-for-800xl/?p=3450666

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198754-current-best-s-video-picture-improvement-mod-for-800xl/?p=2534448

the links don't include every thing but if you read to the bottom you'll get most of it and know what to search...

it is a dead simple mod one wire... one resistor if you choose and lift a capacitor out...

many video mods exist... some add direct power with taroid beads etc...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Hello,

I just tested an 800XL with chroma output and one without chroma using a digital voltmeter. I measured the voltage between pin 5 of the video output connector and ground. I used a small wire to connect to pin 5 with the positive probe and I touched the negative probe to the outside of the tv output connector. The one without chroma measured .01 volts - probably should be 0 because nothing is connected to it. The one with the chroma mod measured 2.37 volts.

Hello,

I just tested an 800XL with chroma output and one without chroma using a digital voltmeter. I measured the voltage between pin 5 of the video output connector and ground. I used a small wire to connect to pin 5 with the positive probe and I touched the negative probe to the outside of the tv output connector. The one without chroma measured .01 volts - probably should be 0 because nothing is connected to it. The one with the chroma mod measured 2.37 volts.

That's probably (a) within the accuracy and/or precision ratings of your meter, and (b) insignificant, caused by natural resistance through the components involved and "true" ground (e.g., the rod that should be driven 8' or so deep into the soil near your household electrical service.