IGNORED

Need a DOS disk

toddtmw

Is there anyone that happens to live in the Cincinnati, Ohio area that would let me copy a DOS disk? I have acquired a computer and 2 1050's but am waiting for lotharak to get the 1050toPC in stock so I have no way to get content onto disks. I'd like to play around writing some basic programs, but without DOS, I cannot save anything.

Thanks.

Todd

contact Steve @ Atarimax - he usually has sio2pc-usb in stock.

these can do exactly the same thing

as he's in Cleveland - you may be able to get one fairly quickly!

Edited by Guest

Thanks. The device Lotharak is out of right now acts as both a siotopc and as a 1050topc. I'd rather be able to do both things.

The Atarimax SIO2PC does do both. It's just the software you need from their site. APE turns a PC into a disk drive for your Atari, and ProSystem reads disks from a connected 1050. The serial version (which I have) still needs an Atari connected up at the same time to power the SIO2PC board, but I suspect the USB version won't.

• Like 1

Steve doesn't seem very responsive. I sent him an e-mail about a week ago about something and there was no reply. Now, I've placed 2 orders on his site and sent another e-mail. No reply. There is a forum post from back in April from somenone asking about an order they placed and never received. Then a follow up post a while later. No response.

The forum there does not get a lot of posts.

Am I going to have to file a credit card dispute to get my money back on the orders I placed?

Have you got an Atari tape drive?

You can potentially get data from the PC to an Atari disk that way but it's a much longer process.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/91182-putting-software-on-a-cassette/?do=findComment&comment=1110134

My post there has a bootable tape image that'll provide a system with Dos loaded (follow the extra instructions).

There'd be extra work needed to get a disk formatted and put DUP.SYS onto it but it'd doable.

• Like 2

perhaps you want him to run home from school and overnight you the item... not this crap again.... You'll get your order in a timely fashion....

He doesn't typically send emails acknowledging orders. If you can't wait, cancel your order and get one from someone else. Or maybe wait for Lotharek?

...another topic to ignore.

-Larry

Mature response: "I understand your concern. I've been working with Steve for a long time, and he typically doesn't respond to inquiries about orderes, but I'm sure you will receive your orders in a timely fashion."

Why are so many people on this board so negative all the time? I sent him an e-mail on 5/12 asking about something I wanted to order, no response. On 5/18, I ordered the thing I was asking about even though there was no response. On 5/19, I ordered the SIO2PC, based on recommendations in this thread. And then I e-mailed him asking if the two items could be shipped together to save postage. When I didn't receive a response and after looking at his forum and seeing an inquiry about an order there that had not received a response after a month, I thought, I would ask the helpful community here. Maybe Steve is having health issues, or is on vacation and someone here might be able to let me know that.

I did receive a helpful response from someone via personal message, but out here in the public forums I got attacked.

WHY?

I just don't understand this. We all share a common interest and it is my goal to try to be helpful when I can. As I am relatively new here, I am not always in a position to provide assistance, but so many people have provided knowledge and assistance to me and I am learning and hope that in time I can "pay it forward". Comments like the ones quoted above serve no positive purpose and only work to make this a place where people will not want to frequent. There are not enough Atari enthusiats that we can afford to alienate any of them.

Thank you to everyone who has provided help to me. I do appreciate the positive posts on this board.

Todd

• Like 2

Have you got an Atari tape drive?

You can potentially get data from the PC to an Atari disk that way but it's a much longer process.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/91182-putting-software-on-a-cassette/?do=findComment&comment=1110134

My post there has a bootable tape image that'll provide a system with Dos loaded (follow the extra instructions).

There'd be extra work needed to get a disk formatted and put DUP.SYS onto it but it'd doable.

I do not have a tape drive, but perhaps I should look into getting one.

Thank you.

Given the cost of alternatives it's probably not worth it unless you want that nostalgia of loading a game while you watch paint dry.

But re that emergency Dos, I'll have to get around to making a more complete solution. Maybe something like an image restoration system that works from tape.

Gotta love it, the 'mature' person always goes to 'Am I going to have to file a credit card dispute to get my money back on the orders I placed?' in that short of a time frame?

It doesn't seem over the top, aggressive, or immature after you place an order (18th) and start this 'mature' line within a day of making the order (19th).... then make it sound like you deal with and know him very well with all kinds of concern all the while taking backhanded shots at the person for not responding to you as quickly as you feel he should. When others see this and point it out with all the deft tact that you yourself took, you attack and call them immature for responding in kind.

You needed immediate response in less than 24 hours for your orders because you made some post 6 or 7 days before with some question or another. I have made plenty of inquiry to people over seas for products and use questions, in almost every case I was lucky to get a response within 2 weeks. They were away, sick, on vacation, server problem, needed parts (didn't want to say so?), or needed to have the email translated (that was a good one).... and shipping many times took a month to a month and a half. I certainly did not go ranting about how untimely it was or go about FILING CREDIT CARD DISPUTES.

Ever notice how the immature and emotional are almost always the first to be quick on the trigger and call others immature?

Some people seem to think that Steve and Lotharek have physical stores that are staffed 24/7.

The fact of the matter is more likely they run their Atari enterprises as sidelines and have only so much time to devote to it.

Fact #2 is that generally both have a history of reliable, timely deliveries of their products all over the world.

FFS, if you want reply emails in 2 hours then go shop at Amazon. Good luck finding any relevant Atari gear though.

• Like 3

Just so this doesn't get out of hand........

I get where Toddtmw was coming from. He gets suggestions to buy something, then nothing in the way of a response and then he sees a bunch of posts like the ones we all just got done with.

We see "yet another Steve bashing" which seemed to be almost orchestrated...

I think this one was really just a misunderstanding. I've talked to Toddtmw and he's a good guy. He had concerns, I hope that all works out.

Thing is, this "community" does tend to be hostile at times, especially with newer people. I've very often recommended to people looking into Atari that I run across on the BBSs or other forums that they don't come here (especially on the ST side, because God forbid you don't want to use an ultrasatan!)

But The Doctor isn't really one of those. He just saw yet another "let's bash Steve" thread and wanted to defend someone who has done so much for the community (and the criticism of Steve seemed like it was going way over the top which made his supporters even more defensive). An no sooner did one thread end, then another would start.

But in this case, I think we're just dealing with a misunderstanding... Toddtmw is new here and had a legitimate WTF moment when he realized he might have just sent a bunch of money to someone who wasn't going to make good (not knowing that some of the people posting negative stuff were known trolls) and then The Doctor defended a great member of the Atari community since it looked like yet another unjustified attack.

But really, I think we're all good here.

• Like 2

Actually, thinking about DOS, I remembered I used to sell a pack called the 'Unusual DOS pack' on ebay back in the day when you could still easily get 5.25" disks. Anyway, it was basically the four less common or long forgotton DOS versions: DOS 1, DOS 3, DOS 4, and DOS XE. A quick scan of my archives, and I still have the ATR files so I've just ZIPped them up and attached them here if anyone wants them. DOS 2.5 (UK version master disk) is also in the ZIP for completeness. These are all likely to be kicking around on the internet, but here all in one place if you want them. DOS 1 has no DUP.SYS, having the whole thing load into memory in one go, which is why DOS 2 quickly came along to replace it. DOS 3 is a total black sheep and hated by everyone. DOS 4 is a weird one, as it was, I believe, commissioned by Atari but scrapped and the rights returned to the programmer. DOS XE was designed to make the XF551 work in double sided mode, but was very late to market (1988) so it was hardly used by anyone.

Atari DOS Pack.zip

• Like 3

I always wanted to try DOS 4 and look more into it... Thank you! (And 5.25 floppies aren't all that hard to get really... you might want to look into it again as there seems to be a retro revival... might be able to make some beer money!)

I'm basing that on the fact that I keep mailing DOS disk images to people.

But thanks for the pack. (I got DOS 3 with my first 1050 drive and I can't say I hated it...... But alas, if it's not compatible, it's not useful).

I should write a game and put it on DOS 3 just for kicks. ;)

• Like 1

To be fair... DOS 3 wasn't all that bad.... it was a silly error that sealed it's doom......... it was fixed... there's a thread about it and how to tell the differences between the fixed and not fixed versions.

Which problem was it that they fixed?

I never knew they got around to that... It's good to know.

From what I read, the main complaint was the blocks vs. sectors thing that wasted a lot of space.

• Like 1