IGNORED

Need a DOS disk

toddtmw

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/102915-dos-3-history/?p=1249021

at the time you had more storage using DOS 3 over 2 unless you had a US doubler drive....

people often run calculations using 720 sectors in their calcs to say how bad the DOS was or wasted... They needed to used the 1040 something number instead....

so while it wasn't the Greatest, it was GOOD at the time. Other complaints at the time were against command line DOS as well, people kept wanting 2.0 even thought OSS DOS variants were all leaps and bounds better.... have fun, if you do some digging there were all kinds of heated debates about this stuff back in the days and sprinkled thru Atari Age.... remember to do advance searches and turn the date range all the way back.

• Like 1

To be fair... DOS 3 wasn't all that bad.... it was a silly error that sealed it's doom......... it was fixed... there's a thread about it and how to tell the differences between the fixed and not fixed versions.

I used DOS 3 for several years, even after I bought the US Doubler and SpartaDOS. Never had an issue with it.

I heard from Steve at Atarimax this morning. He said the items I ordered had been shipped. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Well. I thought I would provide an update on my order. I got USPS tracking numbers Monday evening. It is now 3 days later and both packages still say:

PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT TO USPS, USPS AWAITING ITEM

I realize that this is not a "normal" store, but even with eBay, if I experienced this type of interaction, I would be considering less than 100% positive feedback. (Especially without any proactive communication about the delay.)

Anyway, I will continue to update here with how it goes. It has now been one week since my first order and as far as I am able to tell, it has not actually made it to the source post office yet.

Todd

imagine back in the day...only way to order might be to send a money order to a PO BOX so you had to get the money order and mail it, wait for them to get their mail and process your order, possibly make/assemble it and then ship it at the end of the week... you would still be waiting for the package to be driven from hub to hub until it was delivered to you!

Not one indication as to any of it going on either.. no hourly or daily status... It could be a week for your initial order placement to even arrive at the seller, a week or two for it to be filled and another week or more to arrive at your door... Now that is some nostalgic trip if we were to replicate that in this day and age... very authentic! :)

• Like 1

You should have seen me when Ihad to send my Atari ST mmonitor back to Atari to get fixed. I was impossible to be around. When they told me to send it, they gave me an estimate on how long it would take to get back to me. Once that day came, I sat at the door waitng for the UPS truck to o by and each day he didn't stop was another day of agony. This is not a new thing for me.

-Todd

HEY! One of my packages was accepted yesteday at 9 am (despite the tracking status saying all day yesterday that it had not been received) and arrived in Cleveland at 2 am this morning. So, at least one thing is on its way.

Hopefully the other one is coming too and the status just hasn't been updated. I check the status of both packages every 12.5 seconds, ;) so hopefully I'll see that soon too.

Todd

HEY! One of my packages was accepted yesteday at 9 am (despite the tracking status saying all day yesterday that it had not been received) and arrived in Cleveland at 2 am this morning. So, at least one thing is on its way.

Hopefully the other one is coming too and the status just hasn't been updated. I check the status of both packages every 12.5 seconds, ;) so hopefully I'll see that soon too.

Todd

The 4-6 week shipping time for mail orders in the 80s must have almost killed you. :-)

• Like 1

You have no idea. It's why I tried to buy everything I could from a real store.

Electronics Connexion and Fairborn Home Computer have (well, had) a LOT of my money.)

Up until Amazon perfected two- (and lately one- and same-) day shipping it was Microcenter, Best Buy, CompUSA and Circuit City. Strangely, even though I often tried, it was rarely Radio Shack. They never seemed to have what I needed. (Except for small components and project boxes) but from a computer standpoint they were not competitive.

• Like 1

The second package has changed to "Acceptance" as of this morning at 8:44.

Okay, at least now I should be able to track progress.

(Honestly, I don't know how my friends put up with me in the 80's and 90's. I will go ahead and apologize now to all of you.)

Which will arrive first? The Happy mod or the SIO2PC?

imagine back in the day...only way to order might be to send a money order to a PO BOX so you had to get the money order and mail it, wait for them to get their mail and process your order, possibly make/assemble it and then ship it at the end of the week... you would still be waiting for the package to be driven from hub to hub until it was delivered to you!

Not one indication as to any of it going on either.. no hourly or daily status... It could be a week for your initial order placement to even arrive at the seller, a week or two for it to be filled and another week or more to arrive at your door... Now that is some nostalgic trip if we were to replicate that in this day and age... very authentic! :)

It does bring back memories about how things went in the olden days. IMHO perfectly captured in Arcade Fire's 'We Used To Wait'.

I remember subscribing to Analog Computing around '86 or '87, and as I'm EU based had to resort to sending international money orders for payment. No guarantee they would arrive, and not disappear or fall in the wrong hands. Would have been costly, as due to very high exchange rates at that time and shipping the nominal subscription cost multiplied by 4!

Thankfully Analog had a good subscriber support, and every payment went fine. They were genuinely good people to deal with, not anything like the so-called service centra we have to cope with these days.

re-atari

Edited by re-atari
  • Like 1