IGNORED

Everspace -PC, XB1

I made a topic over on another forum too if this seems like a repeat, just wanted more possible discussion. :)

Just stumbled upon this news item that popped up, tracked it back to Steam, then back to both GOG and the makers website.

Everspace. Any of you aware of this or even pre-bought into it or otherwise backed it in alpha/beta? It goes final version a week from today.

It looks stunning, has a xbox version if someone has that too. It looks like much what Star Citizen wanted to before years of begging for money, delays, scrappings, re-writings, and adding in other dumb crap that wasn't space flight combat.

It's action oriented, but it's got roguelike elements to make it more risky. You take down stuff, try not to get greased, you can craft better or find better stuff for your ship (or replacement ship), and so much more. Seems to be single player so it's like a really beautiful old Wing Commander love letter in ways I think. The game also seems to randomly create much of everything for your challenges so nothing is the same twice, and challenge could be an easy one or something that'll get an experienced pilot their ass handed to them if they're not really careful. And even then it says death in inevitable.

Just reading up on it and watching what I've seen I haven't felt this interesting or amused by this kind of game in a very long time. Goes for $30 if you buy from GoG/Steam, get a few bucks off if you order direct (you get a key for either site instead) with a few small perks.

Anyone on board with this or like me had no idea?
https://everspace-game.com
https://www.gog.com/game/everspace

Thanks for this, no idea how it slipped under my radar, but it looks like a nice way to spend my day tomorrow.

I see a little of colony wars in its style, which is nice. I also like the open world, action level, and what seems to be implying bite-size gaming with many deaths.

Hellion also has my attention, but the lets-play videos I've seen make it look kind of boring.

I'll have to check some everspace vids to compare.

looks like the humble store has it for a few bucks off too.

if what I'm reading is correct, one purchase there gets gog+steam(?)

Edited by Reaperman

I just googled backwards to find what you were talking about.

It looks like it's a both ways key pick up alright You pay up at 20% off (23.99 vs $29.99) and you get a KEY of your choice. Fantastic. The developers website is just a $2 off deal. $6 off vs $2 off, seems like a good idea to me. Nice find.

Seems odd, because it would be like giving it away as you could keep the GoG key, then give away (or sell away) the Steam one to someone else. Seems like too convenient of a loophole.

Seems odd, because it would be like giving it away as you could keep the GoG key, then give away (or sell away) the Steam one to someone else. Seems like too convenient of a loophole.

Yeah, I just bought it that way, and indeed got both keys. I like it since I have the ease of the steam one, and a backup of the drm-free gog version to satisfy my weird paranoia about steam dying. But yeah, it's almost stupid that I didn't just sell the steam one for a few bucks.

Well the Steam one just as an FYI, the developer made it DRM free too. I saw it on their website. They said you can just install it through steam, go into your directory where steam puts all the common installs and find the Everspace directory. From there you can just lift the game out and toss it elsewhere and it will play from the executable without the DRM(Steam) in the way running in the background.

So in a way either version is a win, but oddly enough you just got 2 copies of the game for less than the price of someone buying just 1 which is an all around victory. Maybe someone would buy that key off you if you decided to. I bet you do a 50% off ($20) offer it would fly fast.

• Like 1

I spent the last few hours with this title, and I'm thinking it's closer to a toned down freelancer than just about anything else. The controls and speed of the fighting are pretty much spot-on.

One thing I don't much care for is that in this game, when one loses, it usually feels pretty unfair. It's a problem with random games, you go along easily until *bam* the situation is impossible. There aren't a lot of ways to mitigate the risks associated with difficult situations. Outside of fighting, there really are few other ways to solve problems in the game.

Eventually I'd probably lose enough to unlock the stuff to make it easier, I suppose, but really I've probably only got one more session of this game in me, and I'm saving that for version 1.0.

Edited by Reaperman

I picked it up a little bit ago put almost 90min on it. The game is brutal but it's fun. You never know if you're walking into a no win situation. I read it doesn't have controller support online, but it's right there in the menu so I have no idea what the hell that's all about. It's a bit tricky trying to fly using a mouse and keyboard so I think I may pull out my ms 360 pad out and see if that makes it easier to navigate being shot to pieces. I like how you can keep raking in the cash and slap down bonuses to your ship that applies on each outing so at least you get something out of a run because no matter what you're eventually dead if it's 2 screens in or 2 sectors in or more all down to a mix of randomly generated luck and skill too.