IGNORED

Gotta Love Dave Small!

Dave Small was one of my favorite developers ... ever. Not only did he do incredible things with the Atari ST, but he had a great sense of humor. I cannot find it, but the readme for his Spectre software for version 1.9 had a section that I will never forget.

It had a bunch of quotes with dates from Dave Small stating why Spectre would never be able to do sound. Things about how the architectures were too different, it could never be done. Then, there was a single line:

"Version 1.9 now supports sound."

Today, I was looking at the Spectre GCR manual. The boring page at the beginning had this: :D :D :) :) :)

post-50483-0-65334500-1495414640_thumb.png

• Like 3

Back in the day, when I wrote a couple of articles for Current Notes, Dave Small had a semi-regular

column. I always looked forward to what he had to say. Don't get me wrong, I read and re-read each

issue from cover to cover, but I really did appreciate his humor. :)

Back in the day, when I wrote a couple of articles for Current Notes, Dave Small had a semi-regular

column. I always looked forward to what he had to say. Don't get me wrong, I read and re-read each

issue from cover to cover, but I really did appreciate his humor. :)

Which articles did you write for CN? I still have a few issues from '93-'95 including the last one published. I really enjoyed columns by the two Daves (Small & Troy) and wish there's an online collection somwhere to read more.

Getting ready to head out to work right now - I'll have to pull my old

copies of CN out to give you the exact ones. Will do that the next

time I'm on here.

PS and I agree about having CN scanned in and online somewhere.

Such a great magazine!

Man, I remember the ads that came out about the SST. I really wanted one badly

but never did get one. I hope you can get yours working.

Rifled through my stack of Current Notes magazines...

Volume 13, No.8 - October, 1993

STe TOS Switcher, page 56

Volume 13, No.9 - November 1993

Pyramid Mouse Master, page 54

HTHs.

PS Now you've done it - I can't stop flipping through the pages

and re-reading all the great articles! :)

That Spectre GCR manual is one of the best I've ever seen to this day for a computer product. It's so obvious that the guy really loved what he was doing and his enthusiasm was contagious.

And I agree - we really need to get those Current Notes issues online somehow I'm afraid I can't be much help there, as most of my copies are missing covers and are falling apart from being read and traded around so often back then. Dave's articles (and Ben Poehland's) were always a highlight of that mag for me...

• Like 1

He was surely an Atari hero. Saw him at World of Atari show in Glendale in early 90s.... he was a great speaker too. Funny as all get out.

I miss those days.

Would be uber cool if he ever tweaked Spectre GCR to finally run Mac System 7.... Would be cooler at least.

TJ