IGNORED

Various ST new kits & items on sale in my webshop

FALCON PSU - https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/#0094

Based on my ST PSU design but updated with falcon connector.

post-7597-0-40241900-1495560314.jpg

STE DAC FIX - https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/#0071

Helps reduce whistles and noises in the DAC audio.

post-7597-0-08087000-1495560206.jpg

ST REAL TIME CLOCK - https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/#0096

Adds internal RTC to your ST.

post-7597-0-39710800-1495560370.jpg

4,700uF replacement - https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/#0090

High surge replacement 4,700uF cap to fit most motherboards.

post-7597-0-32504200-1495560490.jpg

STFM 4MB SIMM ADAPTER KIT - ON SALE - https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/#0020

Fit a 4MB simm to the C070789 style motherboards - now discontinued.

post-7597-0-04600400-1495560596.png

FALCON 16MB ST-RAM SIMM CARD - https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/#0086

Fits a 16MB simm to the Falcon for up to 14MB ST RAM.

post-7597-0-65418800-1495560688.jpg

Don't forget to check out all my other items also!

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/

Edited by exxosuk
  • Like 5

Does your RTC mod disable the cartridge port?

No, you wire it up as a "pass through" type thing.

The passthrough functionality, like all similar cartridges, is not a sure thing. As everyone that has used various passthrough cartridges, combiners and whatnot can testify to.

The passthrough functionality, like all similar cartridges, is not a sure thing. As everyone that has used various passthrough cartridges, combiners and whatnot can testify to.

Who is "everyone" ? What cartridges ? Where is the research to support these claims ? Where is it concluded that the RTC cartridge is to blame ? Where is the research to prove the "pass through" function is to blame ?

"going on the past" may be good to a point, though assuming stuff "back in the day" is going to have same problems with new builds isn't exactly fair is it. Its basically just speculation based on outdated information and "hearsay reports" from people who probably don't know any better. You can't assume blame on the RTC cartridge is something "after it" doesn't work. There can be multiple causes. I doubt anyone has really looked into why things did fail back in the day, if any.

If someone tries the kit and it doesn't work, I will investigate it.

Who is "everyone" ? What cartridges ? Where is the research to support these claims ? Where is it concluded that the RTC cartridge is to blame ? Where is the research to prove the "pass through" function is to blame ?

"going on the past" may be good to a point, though assuming stuff "back in the day" is going to have same problems with new builds isn't exactly fair is it. Its basically just speculation based on outdated information and "hearsay reports" from people who probably don't know any better. You can't assume blame on the RTC cartridge is something "after it" doesn't work. There can be multiple causes. I doubt anyone has really looked into why things did fail back in the day, if any.

If someone tries the kit and it doesn't work, I will investigate it.

Perhaps you are correct. But what baffles me the most is that you promises passthrough functionality, no caveats, and have seemingly done no testing yourself what-so-ever, and then rants about hearsay and people not knowing any better?

Seriously?

Perhaps you are correct. But what baffles me the most is that you promises passthrough functionality, no caveats, and have seemingly done no testing yourself what-so-ever, and then rants about hearsay and people not knowing any better?

Seriously?

What cartridge is known to have problems with this kit that you would like me to test ?
This is a community project which I helped produce the basics for. Jonathan Whiteside , Thibaut Guillet ( and some others ) did a lot of research into it and his work is published thusfar.
I'm sorry if me personally not working on it offends you in some way. I helped those guys out and produced the PCB for them and obtained some parts which are sold in my store. Others are welcome to try the kit, its a BETA, I make no secrets about anything. If people don't want to help, then its their choice.
Unfortunately I am only one person and can only do so much per day. Perhaps if there was more people like Jonathan willing to take on some real work in 2017 then things would get done quicker.
Should there be a issue, I will look into it needs be, Really don't see why you having such a hard time with this.
Edited by exxosuk

Seriously?

I'd suggest that perhaps before you decide to run down the work of others, you really ought to fully read the documentation that has been done, which fully explains the ins and outs of the clock module.

This circuit was based on hours of studying images of the Forget Me Clock 2 and replicating that circuit in modern form as an internal unit.

Because of the way the module works, by only reading the clock during boot or when setting, and the fact that the module replicates an existing design, it is highly unlikely that the design will affect the cartridge port operation.

Of course having access to every single cartridge ever made for the ST is not possible so this always will be a consideration, but multiple people have put many hours into this, and the considered opinion that the cartridge port operation should be unaffected.

In fact, since it is soldered in position, it is likely to be more reliable than the original, and a lot less intrusive.

Chris clearly states its beta, so I'm not sure why you're choosing to flame him. If more people made contributions to the scene, rather than flaming those who do, we'd have a far richer ST scene.

In fact, since it is soldered in position, it is likely to be more reliable than the original, and a lot less intrusive.

Chris clearly states its beta, so I'm not sure why you're choosing to flame him. If more people made contributions to the scene, rather than flaming those who do, we'd have a far richer ST scene.

Case in point right there.

All these types of posts have become so tiresome over the past year its unreal. I mean, I might as well talk to myself these days. Everything I say or do, someone is there to contradict or dispute it. Mostly on 30 year old information, or opinions or speculation, or facts from people about things they know nothing about. I am trying to get to the bottom of a lot of hardware issues and design new stuff, and a lot of the time, I just seem to get shot down for it.

Meanwhile I am doing research in 2017 getting results making progress, and what do I get, just BS from people all the time. Then people wonder why I hardly post on forums anymore. I didn't post over on AF for some months, I came back, 2 days later, just lameass comments again. People just don't believe anything I say. I made the whole thing up, or whatever. People say I am posting nonsense, well , all I see is nonsense.

Personally, I quit. Its a win win. People don't read my nonsense, I don't have to read theirs any longer. Personally sick of gritting my teeth each day on posts I have read. I was always against those posts which were "why bother" related. Though , case in point again, Why bother. Well I wont anymore. People just have no idea how angry a lot of posts make me with all the BS hype which is posted. Correcting all those people and posts would turn into a full time job, and well, whats the point. Frankly got better things to do. If people want to follow my work, everyone should know where my site is by now.

Edited by exxosuk

Walter, apologies, you seem to have been neglected with certain folks flaming on here. Please read the documentation, you have 2 installation options, neither of which should affect the cartridge port. When I prototyped this, I based it on the Forgetmeclock 2, and prototyped it on a breadboard plugged into the cartridge port. It is designed to mimic the original clock cartridge with internal connections. It is beta though, so you must bear that in mind. Chris designed the PCB based on my designs. Please read all the documentation and you should get the full picture.

Regards

Jon

Case in point right there.

All these types of posts have become so tiresome over the past year its unreal. I mean, I might as well talk to myself these days. Everything I say or do, someone is there to contradict or dispute it. Mostly on 30 year old information, or opinions or speculation, or facts from people about things they know nothing about. I am trying to get to the bottom of a lot of hardware issues and design new stuff, and a lot of the time, I just seem to get shot down for it.

Meanwhile I am doing research in 2017 getting results making progress, and what do I get, just BS from people all the time. Then people wonder why I hardly post on forums anymore. I didn't post over on AF for some months, I came back, 2 days later, just lameass comments again. People just don't believe anything I say. I made the whole thing up, or whatever. People say I am posting nonsense, well , all I see is nonsense.

Personally, I quit. Its a win win. People don't read my nonsense, I don't have to read theirs any longer. Personally sick of gritting my teeth each day on posts I have read. I was always against those posts which were "why bother" related. Though , case in point again, Why bother. Well I wont anymore. People just have no idea how angry a lot of posts make me with all the BS hype which is posted. Correcting all those people and posts would turn into a full time job, and well, whats the point. Frankly got better things to do. If people want to follow my work, everyone should know where my site is by now.

I don't blame you for leaving Chris, but I know that what you're doing is fantastic, I know where your store is, and I know that your products are top notch.

You don't need to listen to flamers and neither do I.

• 2 weeks later...

@Chris

Don't listen to the "haters"!

Received my Falcon replacement PSU made by you today! What a work of art! Looks beautiful ?

I just also need to buy the mod for the Falcon clock you have developed. Then I should be ready to resurrect my Falcon..

Keep up the excellent work!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Walter, One final post to try and help you out here.

Exxos has provided me with a particularly awkward cartridge to test, called the Ultimate Ripper.

It's awkward because it requires you to boot your ST, turn a switch to on that is on the side of the cartridge, reset the ST, then press F1, and the menu then loads after a period of about 30 seconds during which the ST screen goes crazy! Quite a testing cartridge.

My STE has the clock module installed using option 2 in the installation guide, so pin 31 of the ROM port is snipped and connections pass through the clock chip as per the original ForgetMeClock II the design is based on.

The cartridge worked fine with no issues. I will try and test some other cartridges, but I have a limited budget in terms of cash and time.

Caveats? Yes there are.

As I also tested on 2 other machines, a 520 STFM with an option 1 clock install, and a vanilla 1040STF with no clock, and it didn't work on either, the caveat would have to be that a cartridge MUST work with your system first.

If it does, the option 2 install should be fine. If it doesn't, and you install the clock module, then you can't blame the clock for something that didn't work before.

As I've said before, testing all cartridges, with all variants of ST/STE is nigh on impossible, since you have multiple TOS variants, multiple memory variants, blitter/non blitter and so on.

I can say, on my 4096 STE, with an option 2 install of the RTC clock module, the cartridge port IS NOT disabled.

Edited by atarifanboi

I'd suggest that perhaps before you decide to run down the work of others, you really ought to fully read the documentation that has been done, which fully explains the ins and outs of the clock module.

This circuit was based on hours of studying images of the Forget Me Clock 2 and replicating that circuit in modern form as an internal unit.

Because of the way the module works, by only reading the clock during boot or when setting, and the fact that the module replicates an existing design, it is highly unlikely that the design will affect the cartridge port operation.

Of course having access to every single cartridge ever made for the ST is not possible so this always will be a consideration, but multiple people have put many hours into this, and the considered opinion that the cartridge port operation should be unaffected.

Ok, fanboi... tell me, before you start the namecalling, what is your contribution to the atari-scene? I have not even begun flaming yet, so chose your words carefully...

Copying others work, while commendable in these days, does not imply that you understand what it does. And under what circumstances it becomes a problem. And you guys certainly does not understand how forgetmeclock work, and why it is a problem to install it internally.

Walter, apologies, you seem to have been neglected with certain folks flaming on here. Please read the documentation, you have 2 installation options, neither of which should affect the cartridge port. When I prototyped this, I based it on the Forgetmeclock 2, and prototyped it on a breadboard plugged into the cartridge port. It is designed to mimic the original clock cartridge with internal connections. It is beta though, so you must bear that in mind. Chris designed the PCB based on my designs. Please read all the documentation and you should get the full picture.

Regards

Jon

This is in every way a crap solution. There are several better solutions available if you are going to install a clock internally... If you had kept it as a cartridge, fine, but soldered internally begs for problems.

@Chris

Don't listen to the "haters"!

Received my Falcon replacement PSU made by you today! What a work of art! Looks beautiful

I just also need to buy the mod for the Falcon clock you have developed. Then I should be ready to resurrect my Falcon..

Keep up the excellent work!

Oh the "haters" are here... For pointing out the flaws of a mod...

Walter, One final post to try and help you out here.

Exxos has provided me with a particularly awkward cartridge to test, called the Ultimate Ripper.

It's awkward because it requires you to boot your ST, turn a switch to on that is on the side of the cartridge, reset the ST, then press F1, and the menu then loads after a period of about 30 seconds during which the ST screen goes crazy! Quite a testing cartridge.

My STE has the clock module installed using option 2 in the installation guide, so pin 31 of the ROM port is snipped and connections pass through the clock chip as per the original ForgetMeClock II the design is based on.

The cartridge worked fine with no issues. I will try and test some other cartridges, but I have a limited budget in terms of cash and time.

Caveats? Yes there are.

As I also tested on 2 other machines, a 520 STFM with an option 1 clock install, and a vanilla 1040STF with no clock, and it didn't work on either, the caveat would have to be that a cartridge MUST work with your system first.

If it does, the option 2 install should be fine. If it doesn't, and you install the clock module, then you can't blame the clock for something that didn't work before.

As I've said before, testing all cartridges, with all variants of ST/STE is nigh on impossible, since you have multiple TOS variants, multiple memory variants, blitter/non blitter and so on.

I can say, on my 4096 STE, with an option 2 install of the RTC clock module, the cartridge port IS NOT disabled.

You guys simply don't get it.

The problem will never be with EPROM based carts, EPROMs are sturdy chips, you are not going to short circuit them very easily. Many dongles will work fine, they don't use the same datalines as your clockchip. But some do, and the chips in there does not necessarily be able to cope being short circuited when you are reading that clock. And there are other cartridges aswell, such as the Happy DC cartridge, Spectre etc that uses proprietary chips that noone knows how they handle being short circuited when you read that clock.

Sorry, the clock is a crap mod. Why you are not mapping it like the Mega ST RTC or Mega STE RTC or even the Falcon RTC is beyond me. If you are going to open up your ST and put a clock in, why not make something compatible with existing stuff, instead of adding it to the cartridge port??? It is plain stupid.

Ok, fanboi... tell me, before you start the namecalling, what is your contribution to the atari-scene? I have not even begun flaming yet, so chose your words carefully...

Copying others work, while commendable in these days, does not imply that you understand what it does. And under what circumstances it becomes a problem. And you guys certainly does not understand how forgetmeclock work, and why it is a problem to install it internally.

This is in every way a crap solution. There are several better solutions available if you are going to install a clock internally... If you had kept it as a cartridge, fine, but soldered internally begs for problems.

The problem will never be with EPROM based carts, EPROMs are sturdy chips, you are not going to short circuit them very easily. Many dongles will work fine, they don't use the same datalines as your clockchip. But some do, and the chips in there does not necessarily be able to cope being short circuited when you are reading that clock. And there are other cartridges aswell, such as the Happy DC cartridge, Spectre etc that uses proprietary chips that noone knows how they handle being short circuited when you read that clock.

Sorry, the clock is a crap mod. Why you are not mapping it like the Mega ST RTC or Mega STE RTC or even the Falcon RTC is beyond me. If you are going to open up your ST and put a clock in, why not make something compatible with existing stuff, instead of adding it to the cartridge port??? It is plain stupid.

Well, this clearly shows all you wish to do is flame.

Since I returned to the Atari scene I have worked with numerous people to beta test hardware so that other people can be sure their upgrades will work, and written numerous how to documents and regularly help people with their ST issues.

I do this purely for the joy of helping others, and the enjoyment I get from modding.

Instead of taking the time to explain in detail why you think it's a crap solution, you simply just state it is, with no facts to back up what you are saying. If you had spent as long as I have poring over the FGMC schematics and photographs of the PCB you would understand that it is wired identically to the FGMC, except on the inside of the machine, and time was taken to replicate the FGMC operation without the need for an external cartridge.

By your logic, if you plugged another cartridge into the FGMC passthrough, it could short some of them out. How exactly? If you look at the original PCB, you can see that all bar the CEO/CEI are pick offs from the lines running from one end of the cartridge to the other. The CEO/CEI lines pass through pins 10 & 11 on the cartridge, which is what happens with the RTC mod.

This mod is exactly the same circuit as for FGMC. In fact all of the prototyping was done at the cartridge port, which if you'd read the documentation you would see. You'd also see that alternatives were tried and did not work. This solution worked in all the machines tested.

And as for compatibility, it is fully compatible with the FGMC software and works happily with my clock ACCs.

This work is not just mine, at least 4 people have had input into it. I have stated the caveats, it's up to people to make their own decisions.

As for decisions, don't bother replying to this, because I've decided I won't respond, ever again.

This will be my last post here, because I have better things to do, like actually support the ST scene, rather than trawling round forums looking for opportunities to flame people with vitriolic, unhelpful posts.

All that time you spent flaming, you could have put some real technical background into it, and potentially helped to make it a better mod. You chose not to. Shame on you.

Bye for good everyone.

I stand by my words!

Yes "Haters" it not about the message more how you deliver the message... Also grow up! I thought this kind of behaviour was something that got corrected in middle school. Apparently you missed some lessons..

I hope exxosuk gets back!

Take care everyone..

I just booted Greenious from the thread. He sure seems to have a lot of anger issues, as almost all of his posts on this forum are negative.

Good stuff, shame people have to sign up again to have the last word, and we are the childish ones. seesh.

Nobody needs this BS from people. Myself and others have been working a lot on various things, and such posts of negativity are just from people who seem to have nothing better to do. So leave the real work to the grown ups then I guess as usual.

No forum is safe or enjoyable anymore. many agree. I have better things to do with my time than reply to negativity all the time. I don't even bother to read most replies anymore, no point. seems the rise of people going against what I do or say is on the rise. no point posting anything as everything gets spammed to the point that the original post gets lost. Just no point saying anything anymore.

Its been ongoing for probably 2 years now, only gets worse. When the so called tech experts go against things I do or say, its just time to move on. I really had enough and don't care anymore.

My site and blog will have updates, though at least people can't pollute my stuff there. If people don't like what I put, then bugger off, simple. stay out of my way and everything will be fine.

• Like 2

Good stuff, shame people have to sign up again to have the last word, and we are the childish ones. seesh.

Nobody needs this BS from people. Myself and others have been working a lot on various things, and such posts of negativity are just from people who seem to have nothing better to do. So leave the real work to the grown ups then I guess as usual.

No forum is safe or enjoyable anymore. many agree. I have better things to do with my time than reply to negativity all the time. I don't even bother to read most replies anymore, no point. seems the rise of people going against what I do or say is on the rise. no point posting anything as everything gets spammed to the point that the original post gets lost. Just no point saying anything anymore.

Its been ongoing for probably 2 years now, only gets worse. When the so called tech experts go against things I do or say, its just time to move on. I really had enough and don't care anymore.

My site and blog will have updates, though at least people can't pollute my stuff there. If people don't like what I put, then bugger off, simple. stay out of my way and everything will be fine.

Again keep up the good work! I´m regularly checking your site and blog (trying to resurrect my 20+ year Falcon 030) and bought a replacement PSU. The original was gone and if it were not for you making those I would have been toasted :-D

Again keep up the good work!

Sorry things weren't stopped sooner. That particular user has caused flamewars more than once here. If anything like that happens again, please be sure to use the "Report" feature to make sure the mods can deal with it ASAP.

Sorry things weren't stopped sooner. That particular user has caused flamewars more than once here. If anything like that happens again, please be sure to use the "Report" feature to make sure the mods can deal with it ASAP.

I just wonder why? I mean it seems he is a regular poster/admin at Atari-forum.com? I was wondering if the flame posts was to stir up some quarrel? Nevertheless it´s a shame trying to get everyone in a bad mood instead of giving some constructive feedback and suggestions..

Exxos - does the 4MB STFM upgrade require a specific version of TOS? I have an old 1040STfm that seems like it should get one of these before the stocks disappear :)

Not that I know of. Mostly I don't use less than TOS104 though anyway.