IGNORED

Rough Idea for multi button gamepads

Reading about arcade controllers and multi-button joysticks, I had a thought.

An atari compatible gamepad with 6 buttons (like the genesis one). I don't know what kind of electronics are inside these or if they have chips and such. I imagine them being analog. I don't know, but would it be a stretch of the imagination to think one of these types of game pads could have 2 cables (one for Joy1 and the other for Joy2) with the 4 directions gamepad and one button going to the Joy1 then have the remaining 5 buttons wired to a JOY2 connection with 4 buttons configured for the directional and the remaining 5th button for Joy2?

This way in basic you can call joy for both ports 1 and 2 and have the Joy2 inputs coded for a completely different action.

For games like Tilda and others?

Yeah I know i have to many unfinished projects right now but I do plan to start up the 4 port cart switch this weekend, finalize a v2 to my Musick program since i need that before July, Then of course rework Zombi. If I had a better understanding of how these joysticks worked internally I may even explore this dual cable idea for single player games. So I'd like to hear back from those in the know on this thought of a gamepad design.

EDIT: And I just had another idea. One I couldn't possibly do myself at this time. But with the uberGrom being used for rs232 now, what about a gamepad port on the uberGrom?

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Thierry described on the tech pages how to modify the console as well as create an adapter board that would allow you to hook up PC joysticks to the TI.

Ideally, you'd want to be able to hook up a multi-pad controller directly to the TI without needing to use an expansion card or special sidecar peripheral, but I don't know if that's possible without a lot of modifications to the console.

Honestly, I'd be happy with just a second button! If there was a quick and dirty way to check the unused pins in the joystick design (#1 and #6) in software to let you hook up a joystick that used those as a second or third button...

I'm thinking my idea wouldn't require anything more than the Atari joysticks adaptor readily available at low cost and a modified two port game pad.

It would still function as a regular joy1 stick for existing games and have the option already in basic for programming the additional 5 buttons using joy2 calls.

EDIT: Heck, if the 2 port Atari adaptor could be fitted inside of the controller then all you'd need is a joy port patch cable.

Or just build the cable as part of the game pad and be done with it. That would produce a finished 6 button 8 directional gamepad that works out if the box on all unmodified consoles.

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 2

I think most of us enjoy single games.

And with no modifications to the console it wouldn't take away from two player games that people currently enjoy.

It would not address for multiplayer 6 button games though.

I try to think in terms of "I can probably do this with my current knowledge" processes.

I hate coming up with ideas for others to create (things I couldn't possibly do myself at this time). So I try to keep it simple because I'm simple in terms of what I can achieve right now.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

I've been wondering about this a lot lately as well. I bought a Genesis 3-button controller, but I haven't taken the soldering iron to it yet.

For a 6-button controller, I had an idea of using some sort of 3 state machine to map the 6 buttons onto the existing 5 data lines. The software would have to read each joystick 3 times to get all the buttons:

State 1: FIRE=off UP=up DN=down LT=left RT=right

State 2: FIRE=on UP=off DN=button1 LT=button2 RT=button3

State 3: FIRE=on UP=on DN=button4 LT=button5 RT=button6

This of course wouldn't be compatible with existing games, would require specially written games to use this method (TI needs more fighting style games)

I like this idea! All you need to do is code your program to read both joysticks after building your mutilated Genesis FrankenStick.

Read button #2 and UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT on joystick #2 to get five more buttons.

You then have a six button joystick after writing the appropriate code for the thing.

SINPHALTIMASTER SYSTEM!!!!

• Like 2

I Remember that a user of AA, JChase1970 done something similar in 2010, isn't it ?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/166557-proplay-new-4-button-gamepad-for-ti/?do=findComment&comment=2057882

Whoa, yeah! Definitely same idea. I'll have to read that entire thread to see whatever came of it and lessons learned. Thanks for sharing!!!

Without reading that other post yet, The way I think it's going to go is I will desolder one cable from the second controller and solder it to the first controllers 5 addition buttons using the pinout diagrams I found for the controllers I've ordered. This will give me one 6 button controller with a DPad direction and two cables coming out of it that I will connect to my atari joystick adaptor attached to the TI. I'll update more once the controllers arrive.

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

Anyway, I won't know the quality until I receive them on Tuesday. I'm not expecting much at 9 bux a pair. I just wanted something I could use to test out the idea. I wouldn't know how to mass produce a working idea.

post-47352-0-03432100-1495705170_thumb.png

post-47352-0-04505800-1495705195_thumb.png

post-47352-0-21550300-1495705226_thumb.png

post-47352-0-79780900-1495705245_thumb.png

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Try pressing both joystick buttons at the same time in Parsec and watch what happens. :)

I just might build a new joystick if new games start coming out to support this. It's a great idea Sinphaltimus!

Yeah, my brother and I discovered that back in the day... using the 2nd joystick while playing had some weird effects on the game too! Maybe that was just a one time screw-up, but we started getting random palette color changes, random enemies, the laser lines remained drawn on the screen...

The way I imagine it in my head.

Rewire the button buttons to the top, require the top to accommodate 5 additional buttons. Because the boards are likely to be chipped, I need to bypass those chips for connections coming from or going to a different board.

I think it's going to be that simple.

I'm not thinking of finishing aesthetic touches for looks. Have you seen my modded peb?

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Have you resolved handling the single port issue?

Yes. Two cables coming from the controller and going in to an Atari joystick adaptor.

EDIT: this is gong to be prototype 1.

For me to make it one cable to the console, I would needed to purchase the Atari adaptor from arcadeshopper, place it inside the controller and build the controller out of wood.

That's my skill level at the moment

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1