IGNORED

Is it time for another Wikipedia update?

Omega-TI

19 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Yeah, I need a peer-reviewed, trusted-party source.

Or at least a citation that says the opposite of what you claim, but is long enough no one will read it. (Physical books are great for this.)

I saw the thread title mention Wikipedia and I got flashbacks to Nam. Gaming and Wikipedia don't mix it's a pain to even try fixing anything, the other problem with that is if you don't people will believe what it says, but you can't really fix it anyway because it will all be reversed. 

On 10/23/2022 at 3:51 PM, OLD CS1 said:

Is there no way to confer with a moderator and get edits locked out?  Like, if one particular user or group of users is contributed bad information, to get them locked out of the page?

But if mods are in on it, and they all want to push the same narrative. Than the only person getting kicked out despite having proof is YOU, posting the good info, not THEY posting the bad info. I know because I gave up on that shit long ago, I don't think I've ever been more mad any other time in my life than the back and forth with mods and "legacy" contributors trying to push OR(original research) or unverified claims by random outlets who know nothing.

14 hours ago, Willsy said:

Good luck trying to get ANY edit past the gatekeepers that inhabit (or, should that be inhibit?) Wikipedia. I gave up years ago. 

On 10/23/2022 at 12:38 AM, Tursi said:

Because people will just change it back to what they think they remember.

I spent about a year maintaining it. Wasn't worth it.

The problem is what is "popular" to belief is more credible that actual information, so half the stuff is always removed, or changed back, or modified to fit the narrative. If you challenge that system say by to your editing privilege's. 

There are tons of Atari myths that are busted but still have text about how it's still iconic of gaming because uh... they don't want the myths to die and then reference people who got the MYTH wrong after the Myth was debunked. Can't make this shit up lol. 

On 10/22/2022 at 5:50 AM, Retrospect said:

I mean where did that come from did they just make that shit up in their heads whoever wrote it?

Yes.

Edited by Chinese Cake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JB said:

Sounds like ORIGINAL RESEARCH to me! Humph!

Yeah its strange huh? It was like the inference was I was trying to drive traffic to my own website with content (as if it would actually do that!?). But ignored the fact I was bothered enough todo my own research, found a relevent source (not mine, an actual offically branded players card), and was trying to provide proof that the info I was updating had some validity to it. Not sure what else someone could do for something so minor as a players height/weight info! haha