IGNORED

List of chronogaming/library completion projects (reviews, longplays, etc.)

On 5/29/2024 at 11:33 PM, thegoldenband said:

It helps that his underlying reasons are different from a lot of folks, since he's not trying to leverage his blog into anything else (social media presence, YouTube stardom, massive Patreon, etc.). His blog basically exists to give structure and meaning to his addiction -- to provide a reason to play, and turn it into a more disciplined activity. All the terrific historical and gameplay documentation is largely a byproduct of his meticulous, thoughtful personality. He's very nearly one of a kind!

Agreed 100%.  I feel like this guy would be doing the same exact thing, even without a blog.  He just loves playing RPGs, and I think the fact that he has forced himself to go back in time and play very old games has just given him an even greater appreciation for the genre.  He's found LOTS of garbage, but also a lot of hidden gems... and has also found that there's lots of great old games that are still worth playing today.  It's so nice to read his posts where he enjoys games like the old Wizardry games, or the Gold Box games, or stuff like Demon's Winter or the Phantasie games.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kern said:

Maybe that's why I've been able to last for so long too -- my primary audience for the posts is myself. I probably wouldn't do it if I had zero readers and nobody ever commented -- of course I would love it if I had more readers, but it's never really been a goal. Especially now that I'm hosting the blog on my own site I'm paying money to have it up there rather than making any.

I also have managed to set a schedule of (at least) one post a weekend, and I never force myself to write really long and detailed posts if I don't feel like it. My posts would definitely be better if I spent more time on then but I doubt I would have been able to keep going for this long in that case.

Yeah, the film project of mine that I finished was absolutely for me and my wife. We did it partly for fun and partly to set our memories down before they evaporated, but mainly I just wanted to make my wife laugh. :) It got linked to a tiny bit but for me, its main value is as a time capsule for us. (When we reread it, we have to remind ourselves of what the inside jokes were...)

Your site is one that I regularly visit, for what it's worth, and I've commented once in a while. Even though I was a bit disappointed when your original Super Famicom project was canceled, I think you clearly made the right choice for yourself and have contributed something lasting to the community. I'm very glad it exists!

2 hours ago, ubersaurus said:

I'll highlight a new project that a friend of mine started recently, documenting the brawler/beat em up genre's development. It's chronological, though he isn't touching on *every* single game.

https://www.youtube.com/@BClarkOMP

Also germane to the current discussion, I actually find the lesser games interesting to dig into and try to understand what people thought of them and why they just didn't quite gel together... or sometimes, why they were just super niche or aged poorly. I don't have the kind of time to pump out videos at quite my original pace thanks to parenthood, but I do have every intention to keep rolling with my Atari Archive stuff til I just don't have it in me any longer. Though I will say, while it has been very educational learning how to use video editing software... I am a writer at heart and kind of wish I'd just gone that route! I usually have my writeups done well in advance of the actual video production just because of how time consuming it is.

I'll check your friend's project out! Atari Archive is one of a handful of YouTube channels that I make an instant priority to watch as soon as a new video comes out -- your work is really terrific. And I appreciate that you take a positive, curious attitude toward the games you investigate, even when they're poorly regarded by critics or most players.

There are a bunch of games I enjoy that have a bad reputation -- Airlock and Bugs come to mind, as well as the obvious example E.T. -- and I get weary of seeing the same tired AVGN-style putdowns regurgitated verbatim by new generations of edgelords. :D

Even if games like those are flawed, I think they always deserve the benefit of the doubt, by assuming that the people who made them wanted to make a good game that served a particular purpose.

31 minutes ago, newtmonkey said:

Agreed 100%.  I feel like this guy would be doing the same exact thing, even without a blog.  He just loves playing RPGs, and I think the fact that he has forced himself to go back in time and play very old games has just given him an even greater appreciation for the genre.  He's found LOTS of garbage, but also a lot of hidden gems... and has also found that there's lots of great old games that are still worth playing today.  It's so nice to read his posts where he enjoys games like the old Wizardry games, or the Gold Box games, or stuff like Demon's Winter or the Phantasie games.

Absolutely. And his blog is one reason I get so annoyed when people say, regarding fan translations, "All the good games for [platform] have already been translated". I think to myself: "How would you know? Have you played them all? Or are you yet another person who judges games they haven't played solely by (a) their presentation, (b) their genre, and/or (c) whether you can play them for 5 minutes without a manual and feel like a god?"

If the CRPG Addict writes off a platform or a publisher, at least he knows what he's talking about, having paid his dues in the saltmines of ZX Spectrum RPGs. And conversely, he recognizes a gem when he sees one, even if it's on a platform he dislikes; his choice of Dungeons of Daggorath for the top RPG of 1982 is evidence of that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thegoldenband said:

Absolutely. And his blog is one reason I get so annoyed when people say, regarding fan translations, "All the good games for [platform] have already been translated". I think to myself: "How would you know? Have you played them all? Or are you yet another person who judges games they haven't played solely by (a) their presentation, (b) their genre, and/or (c) whether you can play them for 5 minutes without a manual and feel like a god?" If the CRPG Addict writes off a platform or a publisher, at least he knows what he's talking about, having paid his dues in the saltmines of ZX Spectrum RPGs...

I agree 100%!  It frankly annoys me when people just dismiss games like that, because it's so lazy.  It's not like climbing a mountain or whatever, just give the game 30 minutes and see if you like it!  I've enjoyed and completed so many games just because I decided to go back and play some old game and stick with it.  If I just went with my first impression, or even worse the opinion of the Internet, I'd have missed out on so many awesome games.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Every so often I have thought of starting a discord for chronogaming. It could be for people who have existing projects, people who want to do it but don't want to start a blog or channel, or people who are interested in following others' projects. Not sure how much traction it would get, though.

• Like 1