IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

19 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

The Phoenix exclusive games are going to be cart release only
No rom file will be available 

While, I’m personally disappointed that purchases will be cart only, it won’t stop me from being a heavy purchaser. 

2 hours ago, retroillucid said:

The next core is going to be Intellivision, that's for sure!
Why? .... cause I really want it! :)

This would be quite the trifecta (IMO) and I would hope it would lead to a greater number of sales, which would allow for future cores.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but it's getting really old reading all these "when is it going to ship" messages especially since CollectorVision has already shipped (in August) a large number of Phoenix systems to the early adopters who paid an additional $100.

They have repeatedly said shipping in October and that will be happening over this week.

I missed the 1st run by one day (ordered on 8/11, cut off for 1st run was stated as 8/10) and I have to wait until the 2nd run sometime next year!! No complaints, even though it stinks having to wait, but it is what it is.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

Well, we're hoping to have as many cores as possible, including ADAM
We'll see, it's just the beginining  :)

Given my desire to explore/play with vintage computers and video games and the fact that the house is already at critical mass, consolidating multiple machines into one has its advantages. Bring it on. 

The more cores offered the more Phoenix systems will be sold. I would like to see 8 bit and 16 bit cores for every videogame and computer systems made in the 70's, 80’s, and 90’s. And I would be willing to pay $30+ for each officially licensed core. Charging a fee for each core would also increase the possibility of having every 8 bit and 16 bit videogame and computer system from the 70's, 80’s, and 90’s. People would just purchase the cores that they wanted to use, and the cores would be supported with quality firmware updates. Maybe offer a package deal where one can have 5 cores for $100 instead of $30 each. 10 cores for $150+, etc.

Edited by HDTV1080P

2 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

I'm still holding out hope for a 7800 core. Would it be a difficult one to do?

A machine that does CV, 2600, 7800, and Intellivision would a dream come true

I completely agree with this..  Most homebrews I buy tend to be CV, 7800, 2600 and Intellivision, but I would also love to have the ability to play my carts via an adaptor as I enjoy my games when I have to plug in a cart vs load a ROM... its a tactile thing with me.

I am really hoping for the exotic consoles like Astocade, MSX2+, Super Cassettevision etc if possible

Edited by imstarryeyed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know everybody is different when it comes to what they want, what they need, and what they like...but I'm fine with the Phoenix as a modern tv compatible FPGA system that:

1) Plays ColcecoVision cartridges

2) Can load ROMs from SD card (for games that don't have physical releases)

3) Can use ColecoVision controllers

4) If an an ADAM core was available...that would be great

Anything else and I could give a damn.  Not to say that I wouldn't make use of any other options/cores or the likes, but for me this is why I ordered a Phoenix.

I also own FPGA based NES, SNES, & MD consoles, and I use them to play actual cartridges from their respective consoles.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

I'm still holding out hope for a 7800 core. Would it be a difficult one to do?

A machine that does CV, 2600, 7800, and Intellivision would a dream come true

Better still a 7800 core with built in XM support. We may never get a physical XM but a FPGA version would rock.

• Like 1

Hello,

I realize Collectorvision is working around the clock, but any updates on the shipping status of the non-early bird purchasers?  My purchase date with boxed Sydney Hunter: Caverns Of Death was on November' 8th, 2018.

Thanks,

Anxiously awaiting my ultimate CV! :)

Edited by Oldschool80skid

12 minutes ago, Oldschool80skid said:

Hello,

I realize Collectorvision is working around the clock, but any updates on the shipping status of the non-early bird purchasers?  My purchase date with boxed Sydney Hunter: Caverns Of Death was on November' 8th, 2018.

Thanks,

This was posted four days ago only one page back....

On 10/27/2019 at 3:39 PM, retroillucid said:

We start shipping (the first batch) next week and will continue to do so during November 

Please... PLEASE try reading the thread next time so CollectorVision isn't answering the same questions over and over, and we as readers don't have to see the same questions asked over and over.

Thank you.

Got my Phoenix from the post office this afternoon and been enjoying it this evening.  Works a treat but so far I have some questions/concerns.

1.  I noticed the bottom flap of the cartridge slot was pushed down when I opened up the box.  I lifted it up by putting my little pinky in there but every time I lift a cartridge out, the flap stays down.

2. I played 2 games on the SD card that came with it so far.  Mecha 8, which is a lot of fun and Armageddon, which I couldn't play.  Is it a roller ball game or something?  My reticule would just slide to the left of the screen and stay there.  I couldn't move it around using my Super CV controller from Edladdin.

3. I downloaded my CV and Atari 2600 roms onto 2 separate SD cards.  The CV one works great.  The Atari 2600 gave me some weird menu the first 2 times and the screen went black and stayed black after I pressed a button.  The 3rd time, I got a regular menu for the Atari2600 rom file I have on the SD card.  I press fire and then up comes a list of all my roms.  I tried selecting a number of different roms and I got a "unrecognized file type.  Press fire button" message every time.  I downloaded the roms from atarimania.  They were all ones with the smily face, healthy file symbols but they are bin files, not roms. I read somewhere bin is just another name for rom and it doesn't matter whether it says bin or rom but maybe that's the issue.  Can anyone help?  I've never downloaded roms before.  This was the first time.  Frankly I'm pleasantly surprised things have worked out as well as they have so far.  Technology usually gives me way more hassle than this but I'd really like to be able to play my atari2600 roms.

• Like 1

I imagine it just wants the rom files to have the.a26 file extension then. It's really easy to rename the extension from .bin and there are programs that will do it for you en masse so you don't have to do each bin file individually.

Silly that it doesn't recognize both extensions though if that's the case.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Got my Phoenix from the post office this afternoon and been enjoying it this evening.  Works a treat but so far I have some questions/concerns.

1.  I noticed the bottom flap of the cartridge slot was pushed down when I opened up the box.  I lifted it up by putting my little pinky in there but every time I lift a cartridge out, the flap stays down.

2. I played 2 games on the SD card that came with it so far.  Mecha 8, which is a lot of fun and Armageddon, which I couldn't play.  Is it a roller ball game or something?  My reticule would just slide to the left of the screen and stay there.  I couldn't move it around using my Super CV controller from Edladdin.

3. I downloaded my CV and Atari 2600 roms onto 2 separate SD cards.  The CV one works great.  The Atari 2600 gave me some weird menu the first 2 times and the screen went black and stayed black after I pressed a button.  The 3rd time, I got a regular menu for the Atari2600 rom file I have on the SD card.  I press fire and then up comes a list of all my roms.  I tried selecting a number of different roms and I got a "unrecognized file type.  Press fire button" message every time.  I downloaded the roms from atarimania.  They were all ones with the smily face, healthy file symbols but they are bin files, not roms. I read somewhere bin is just another name for rom and it doesn't matter whether it says bin or rom but maybe that's the issue.  Can anyone help?  I've never downloaded roms before.  This was the first time.  Frankly I'm pleasantly surprised things have worked out as well as they have so far.  Technology usually gives me way more hassle than this but I'd really like to be able to play my atari2600 roms.

1. Can you attach a picture of the top of your system? The doors were redesigned and the new doors shouldn't have that issue.

2. Armageddon is a roller controller game, but I thought it worked with a standard cv controller

3. The Atari 2600 core and the CV core have different menus, so you can't load the atari games from the cv menu and vice versa.

Atari 2600 core menu:

2019032612002481.thumb.png.141cb0ff4ccd952c4d8f7b84640d2fa3.png

Colecovision Core menu:

image.png.86220f5ffc5a1a500909f0129a6ea6a2.png

1 hour ago, Oldschool80skid said:

Hello,

Thanks,

In order to get the systems out as fast as possible notifications are not being sent out as the systems are shipping.

• Like 1