IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

These are all good ideas, but don't let feature creep delay the project.

Yep. I agree with this 100%. As I said before, it will be impossible to make everyone happy. And even those who are not 100% happy will most likely still buy and use the hardware even if their "wish list" item didn't get implemented. So take all of these suggestions into "consideration" but then make the system that best fits the time, budget, and quality you are shooting for. I'm already on board regardless if anything mentioned over the last couple of pages gets done. Like, honestly, the font isn't actually a dealbreaker for me! :P

What you guys think about using something like this?

I found this in my archive, wich I think it was made by Luc a couple years ago? Luc?

I personally think this would be nice, but I want to hear your inputs

I think maybe it should be as stock as possible for the people with dead ColecoVisions so that they can board swap, but make the BIOS flashable so other people can pick the arcade font or the graphically logo like above (and turn the f18 on or off)

• Like 1

Yesthis one is nice. It's not the same exact original system and it's not 1982 so why not have a new bios screen. But You can change the bios anyways if you don't like it afterwards

I found this in my archive, wich I think it was made by Luc a couple years ago? Luc?

I personally think this would be nice, but I want to hear your inputs

I found this in my archive, which I think it was made by Luc a couple years ago? Luc?

I'm pretty sure I didn't make that one. It's the one that comes with a custom BIOS made for blueMSX, if I'm not mistaken. I don't know who did it.

In general, if the BIOS font can be updated by a firmware update, then just offering multiple BIOSes and letting people select the one they prefer should satisfy just about everyone.

How much more would it add to the cost of this project to add a total of four USB 3.0 ports? I would be willing to pay $50+ extra for these four ports for possible future use like USB keyboard, USB trackball, and other USB devices like USB Laser printer driver for the TI99/4A and maybe ADAM emulator. This CollectorVision game system could ship with all four USB ports disabled and not operational, and with a future firmware update using a SD card the four USB 3.0 ports could be enabled. The most important thing is to have the proper hardware on the circuit board, and with a firmware update several months latter that hardware can become fully functional. I imagine possible this project running into HDMI handshaking issues and the programmers needing to issue firmware updates to fix HDMI handshaking issues (However the analog VGA is always there for people that have a HDMI compatibility issue).

I could see the four USB 3.0 ports being used up very fast. Two USB ports used for a USB keyboard and USB Logitech marble mouse. That would leave two USB 3.0 ports reserved for future use where the USB 3.0 port becomes this CollectorVision's future expansion module interface for advanced hardware. USB 3.1 generation 2 10Gbps is much faster but costs more, therefore USB 3.0 5Gbps would be fine (There are a lot of products on the market that handshake at USB 3.0 speed, and USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1).

Edited by HDTV1080P

I'm pretty sure I didn't make that one. It's the one that comes with a custom BIOS made for blueMSX, if I'm not mistaken. I don't know who did it.

In general, if the BIOS font can be updated by a firmware update, then just offering multiple BIOSes and letting people select the one they prefer should satisfy just about everyone.

Interesting..... Do you know where I can find this custom BIOS?

I personally do not see USB as important as stacks have to be written for each of those hardware options, but I understand some people do like it.

What I see is very important is either socketed chips or the ability to upgrade the console via SD card or some other means. I can only imagine the nightmares of finding bugs on boards that cannot be addressed without sending motherboards back or waiting to buy a 1.3 version of the hardware.

I am so looking forward to this project as my primary need is aging flaky Coleco hardware that I tire of upgrading.

I like the new arcade font personally, but having the original as an option isn't a bad idea. Not a deal breaker for me though, I'll take whatever I can get.. Especially if it means I can swap in a new motherboard to replace an old, unreliable one that I too, am tired of fixing. ;)

I personally do not see USB as important as stacks have to be written for each of those hardware options, but I understand some people do like it.

What I see is very important is either socketed chips or the ability to upgrade the console via SD card or some other means. I can only imagine the nightmares of finding bugs on boards that cannot be addressed without sending motherboards back or waiting to buy a 1.3 version of the hardware.

I am so looking forward to this project as my primary need is aging flaky Coleco hardware that I tire of upgrading.

Socketed chips are not possible on a modern board that uses very small surface mount components. This CollectorVision videogame system will offer a means to update the firmware. Proof of that is in a prior post where it was mentioned that the system will add support for some other videogame systems in the future.

"Cores to be added after system launch

- Sega Master System

- Atari 2600

- TI99/4A"

Edited by HDTV1080P

How much more would it add to the cost of this project to add a total of four USB 3.0 ports? I would be willing to pay $50+ extra for these four ports

LOL! I like how this guy wants to raise the price of the system by fifty bucks like it's nothing. I like the idea of being able to use a mouse via PS/2 or USB but either or is not a dealbreaker for me. I mean, if you're going to want to attach a USB keyboard, mouse, and a printer just so you can turn it into a TI/99 4A why not just get a Raspberry Pi? I mean, this is what I use for my Pi setup for TI99 and it works just fine...

IMG_9923.JPG

This is just my opinion, but if you're buying the CollectorVision drop-in board for the ColecoVision just so you can make a TI/99 4A out of it, you're probably not going to be the core demographic of this product and I would most certainly hate to see CollectorVision raise the price of the system by fifty bucks just to satisfy a small handful of people that need to plug in a mouse, keyboard, and printer into the system.

Listen guys

If only myself was going to add what I would love to have in this system, the final product would cost you about the same price as the Analogue NT
Not that the Analogue NT is not an awesome product (It is indeed an awesome product!)

but that's just not the goal with the CollectorVision Game System

Don't get me wrong though, I'm still all open to hear your ideas and suggestions :)

• Like 4

It's going to fit an original CV system shell

We'll offer it as a replacement board and as a full unit (including the system shell)

I will be interested in a full new unit with the new system shell. I wonder if this unit will cost $200+ or what the estimated list price will be. You mentioned that your board will also fit in the original 1982 ColecoVision system shell (case). If one installs your board in a original ColecoVision will they need to drill holes in the case for things like the HDMI output, VGA output, PS/2 keyboard? While it would be kind of neat to slide open the ColecoVision expansion module interface door and see 4 USB ports, I am kind of worried on how this board would fit in a existing ColecoVision shell. For example someone might by accident open the expansion module interface door on the ColecoVision shell, and try and insert Expansion module #1, Expansion module #3, or OPCODE's supergame module. The board should sit back a few inches in the ColecoVision case so that someone does not try and force a expansion module in the front of the ColecoVision and break the new board. This would not be a issue for me since if I purchase this product I will also be purchasing a new shell, however people reselling these new boards in existing ColecoVision shells could run into a issue where their customers try and force a expansion module into a system that does not accept a front expansion anymore.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Here's the (simple) concept for our Spinner Controller
It uses a magnetic Instruction Card for easy swapping

That mean we would be able to print instruction card for each of our releases

You have 2 arcade buttons (one on each side) and the spinner controller

Simple, but yet effective! :)

*Final design subject to change

post-11933-0-75467300-1514856377.png

• Like 2

Here's the (simple) concept for our Spinner Controller

It uses a magnetic Instruction Card for easy swapping

That mean we would be able to print instruction card for each of our releases

You have 2 arcade buttons (one on each side) and the spinner controller

Simple, but yet effective! :)

*Final design subject to change

If by chance this would work on say Jeepers Creepers and this is how the controller would actually be , you would need the two fire buttons right next to each other so that you could press them both at the same time . If I remember correctly you get a double by pressing them both at the same time . So maybe having the button placement as an option of where you would want them would be ideal .

That is a brilliant idea of using a magnetic artwork so switch out would be clean and simple. I love that idea and the spinner design looks great so far.. I am hoping your project gets developed soon as I would love to be able to upgrade my old Colecovision as I am sure many others here as well.

• Like 1