IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Game Console

retroillucid

I spent maybe an hour with mine before I had to leave for a while. From a Coleco standpoint, it seems fairly solid. My only complaint from a Coleco stand point so far is the bios screen (or lack there of depending on the case).

If use a standard physical cartridge, I get a bios screen with the Phoenix logo and the name of the game at the bottom. For nostalgia purposes, I prefer to be able to choose seeing the original bios screen. Even if it means supplying the file myself, so it could be the standard 12s delay or an alternate version with shorter delay. 

If I load a rom from the SD slot, it shows no bios and jumps right to the skill selection menu. Again, I'd like to be able to enable the original bios from there. Or even the Phoenix bios, just to keep options open.

If I use my ultimate Coleco SD cart, after selecting a game I get the original bios for maybe 4 seconds before going to the skill selection menu. Not sure if the Phoenix is displaying that, or that is a function of the ultimate SD. On a side note, hitting the reset button on the ultimate SD seems to just take you to the "turn off the system before inserting a cartridge" bios screen.

The 2600 core leaves a bit more to be desired, mainly in the menu system. The navigation seems a bit awkward/klunky. Like you seem to be able to scroll down to the point the menu items disappear till you scroll back up. The small menu window is a bit of a annoyance too. And menu navigation is painful if you have more that a handful of roms. If you only have a couple, the folder opens up very quick. But if you have a full set (like Rom Hunters Harmony set), even if it's broken down into sub holders, it took 2 minutes to navigate into a folder with 3 sub folders. Then another 2 minutes to navigate into the sub folder with the roms.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, AtariLeaf said:

Now when I turn it on I get that same sound and this. Something is seriously wrong here

20191101_193219.jpg

So I will post on the other thread. But there are 2 known issues at the moment.

The white screen on boot is one of them. Some TVs backfeed power to the system which keeps the system from powering all the way off. The best way to fix it is to use a HDMI switch inbetween the tv and Phoenix. Inserting some original games, like DK Jr., into the system when the power is off can actually power the system down and allow it to come back up. The other temporary option is to unplug the HDMI cable and put it back in.

I have attached a new update for the CV core. Put it on the sd card and press # as soon as you press the power button to get to the service menu. Then hit 1 to install the core and then 1 to update the CV core.

CORE01.PHX

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

I have attached a new update for the CV core. Put it on the sd card and press # as soon as you press the power button to get to the service menu. Then hit 1 to install the core and then 1 to update the CV core.

CORE01.PHX 460 kB · 1 download

Is this a new core that we all should install?

Any changelog?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ikrananka said:

Is this a new core that we all should install?

Any changelog?

Yes this is the newest core release.

This is a minor change to fix a bug with telebunny hanging at the Language selection screen

It also has a Color Accessibility option for the sd loader menu. Press 0 to cycle through some different options for those having trouble seeing the highlighted line

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

Yes this is the newest core release.

This is a minor change to fix a bug with telebunny hanging at the Language selection screen

It also has a Color Accessibility option for the sd loader menu. Press 0 to cycle through some different options for those having trouble seeing the highlighted line

My unit shipped with firmware that changes the Coleco menu by pressing 0. I found that out by accident. I think there was 4 different options or so. So is this version actually newer?

19 minutes ago, AtariLeaf said:

i only have the one hdmi capable tv

EDIT sound problem is present with the 2600. if it's the tv, that's a problem, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new tv for this

You can get an HDMI to composite or VGA adapter for $10 - $15 to try another input or TV.

1 hour ago, AtariLeaf said:

i only have the one hdmi capable tv

EDIT sound problem is present with the 2600. if it's the tv, that's a problem, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new tv for this

VIZIO 24" Class SmartCast D-Series FHD (1080P) Smart LED TV (D24f-G1)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-24-Class-SmartCast-D-Series-FHD-1080P-Smart-LED-TV-D24f-G1/245023122

Only $138 as an option if you find out it works on a different TV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick3092 said:

I spent maybe an hour with mine before I had to leave for a while. From a Coleco standpoint, it seems fairly solid. My only complaint from a Coleco stand point so far is the bios screen (or lack there of depending on the case).

If use a standard physical cartridge, I get a bios screen with the Phoenix logo and the name of the game at the bottom. For nostalgia purposes, I prefer to be able to choose seeing the original bios screen. Even if it means supplying the file myself, so it could be the standard 12s delay or an alternate version with shorter delay. 

If I load a rom from the SD slot, it shows no bios and jumps right to the skill selection menu. Again, I'd like to be able to enable the original bios from there. Or even the Phoenix bios, just to keep options open.

If I use my ultimate Coleco SD cart, after selecting a game I get the original bios for maybe 4 seconds before going to the skill selection menu. Not sure if the Phoenix is displaying that, or that is a function of the ultimate SD. On a side note, hitting the reset button on the ultimate SD seems to just take you to the "turn off the system before inserting a cartridge" bios screen.

The 2600 core leaves a bit more to be desired, mainly in the menu system. The navigation seems a bit awkward/klunky. Like you seem to be able to scroll down to the point the menu items disappear till you scroll back up. The small menu window is a bit of a annoyance too. And menu navigation is painful if you have more that a handful of roms. If you only have a couple, the folder opens up very quick. But if you have a full set (like Rom Hunters Harmony set), even if it's broken down into sub holders, it took 2 minutes to navigate into a folder with 3 sub folders. Then another 2 minutes to navigate into the sub folder with the roms.

Do you have the  Mappy rom from Pixelboy?  If so, can you see if the background music plays?

It does not for me off of the SD card or the Ultimate SD cart, but it does on my original CV with SGM, SD cart, & AV out.  

I'm very pleased overall. It handles everything I throw at it. Plus I can finally use the NTT Data SNES controller which is awesome compared to original CV controllers.

Edited by Oldschool80skid
  • Like 1