IGNORED

Ants (WIP)

atari2600land

The fumes got me. I decided to work on this a little this morning. Basically what I did was make the game endless. To do that, once you squish an ant, another will take its place. Still waiting for someone to test this on real hardware to see if I'm doing this right. Sometimes in VJ, when you squish an ant, the ant squishing sound doesn't play. I don't know if that's the fault of my stupid computer or my code. So I made it an endless game so the tester can keep squishing ants and see if the ant squishing sound keeps happening. That, and it makes for a better game anyway.

http://www.atari2600land.com/antsjag/ants20170531romonly.zip

• Like 2

The fumes got me. I decided to work on this a little this morning. Basically what I did was make the game endless. To do that, once you squish an ant, another will take its place. Still waiting for someone to test this on real hardware to see if I'm doing this right. Sometimes in VJ, when you squish an ant, the ant squishing sound doesn't play. I don't know if that's the fault of my stupid computer or my code. So I made it an endless game so the tester can keep squishing ants and see if the ant squishing sound keeps happening. That, and it makes for a better game anyway.

http://www.atari2600land.com/antsjag/ants20170531romonly.zip

the sound not laying *could* be your using the u235 sound engine, try converting over to zeroplayer and retry, it doesn't support mod files but you can always encode the music to a ulaw compressed sound in mono and play it on one of the four available channels if you need other sounds playing

You need to make each squish sound effect play on different channels. What I mean is if you squish an ant and then squish another while the current squish sound is playing it will cancel the sound out because they are on the same channel. (Even if both sounds are the samefile) So set up 2 distinct squish sounds on 2 different channels. I recommend using channels 3 and 4 for one and 5 and 6 for the other. The Jaguar actually only has 2 sound channels but the u235 sound engine appears to be set up so you can have more than 2. (an illusion but effective)

So ant A collison should trigger squish sound on channels 3,4 and ant b should trigger squish sound on channels 5 and 6.

So I've decided to make a game for the Jaguar that works, dammit. This second attempt is called "Ants," based on my other, non-stickman game that didn't get very far. I need help, though. I need someone to design a better ant graphic, 2-walk animation, where each ant graphic is 16x16 pixels. I'd also like someone to test out what I have so far to make sure it works on a real Jaguar. All I have done so far is the title screen, so don't expect anything fancy. I also would like feedback on the music. How loud is it? How loud should it be? Stuff like that.

By 2-walk, do you mean 2 frame animation?

VSYNC slows everything to sync to each tick of the frames. So its all in sync. I said the Jaguar has 2 sound channels earlier I meant 4 but you get more with the u235 engine

Well, if you meant 4, you were wrong. It's 2.

• Like 1

Things I learned today:
* A ROM file is different than an ABS file.

* ROM files can't include SNDs. (I don't know why, but if I tried to insert a sound then it broke on VJ)

* All MOD files in a ROM must be the same speed (I was tearing my hair out wondering why the in-game music was playing at a different speed, and forcing the tempo up didn't work. Then I realized my title game tempo's speed was really slow. I had to make a new MOD to match the tempo of the in-game music, and that worked.)

So anyway, I tried making a ROM after Jeffrey reported that the ABS file does not work at all on a Skunkboard. Then I tested the new ROM out and found out the preceding stuff. I made the ROM work in VJ, but had to erase the squish sound. Here is the ROM, not the ABS file.

http://www.atari2600land.com/antsjag/antsrom2.zip

Edited by atari2600land
  • Like 1

Things I learned today:

* A ROM file is different than an ABS file.

Correct, also covered in rb+ tutorial #5.

* ROM files can't include SNDs. (I don't know why, but if I tried to insert a sound then it broke on VJ)

Sorry, wrong. You can import audio and graphics in RAM if you're building .abs files or RAM and ROM if you're building a ROM. Have a read at rb+ tutorials 3 and 4 on how to do it.

* All MOD files in a ROM must be the same speed (I was tearing my hair out wondering why the in-game music was playing at a different speed, and forcing the tempo up didn't work. Then I realized my title game tempo's speed was really slow. I had to make a new MOD to match the tempo of the in-game music, and that worked.)

I'm sorry but this is a U235SE limitation AFAIK. Perhaps Linkovitch will wake up from his slumber and fix it at some point. As an alternative I would suggest you give Zerosquare's sound/input engine a go since it's much more stable when handling starting/stopping channels and tunes.

Sorry, wrong. You can import audio and graphics in RAM if you're building .abs files or RAM and ROM if you're building a ROM. Have a read at rb+ tutorials 3 and 4 on how to do it.

I tried to add a SND file but when it came time to play it, the finger just kept squishing and the MOD file stopped playing.

Things I've noticed on hardware test: Can't access the main game. Not sure what the input settings are but all I can access is the options screen. After entering the options screen the game hangs up. (looks like the OP)

Transparency not turned on in the rapap.init for the ant sprites. The music plays fine and sounds great no issues there. The title screen is off centered. Most people use a background image of 320X240. I recommend you scale this to 320X224 and make sure the horizontal and vertical positions are set to 0 so it will be centered. It looks to me like your title screen is offset by about 32 pixels vertically. (give or take a few)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SVBnmZGMso

I don't know why the ants look like black squares, the transparency is set to is_trans. To get to the main game at the options screen, press B. The bees aren't utilized yet, so don't worry about that. Thanks for testing on this. I don't know whether I should continue or not seeing as how there's too many things wrong with the game.

I don't know why the ants look like black squares, the transparency is set to is_trans. To get to the main game at the options screen, press B. The bees aren't utilized yet, so don't worry about that. Thanks for testing on this. I don't know whether I should continue or not seeing as how there's too many things wrong with the game.

I think you should continue. Try a different bit depth for the ant sprites or try making the outside layer (that's supposed to be transparent) the darkest shade of black possible. It does look correct in VJ so I am thinking something else is going on. I didn't mean to sound over critical I was just trying to be detailed in describing what was happening. I'm quite sure you can figure this out, after all I took quite a few pointers from you to get Fast Food 64 going, and according to Sporadic your code you gave me for the scaling SHOULD work! (and he should know!) Don't give up this early on man, keep at it! I want to play Ants!