IGNORED

Ants (WIP)

atari2600land

I made the bee's y position and which side of the screen he starts out on and when all random. I had a little trouble because apparently there's more than one way to move a sprite. But I found a correct way which doesn't make Virtual Jaguar crash and stop working. I also made a website where you can get the latest version so I don't have to post links to all of them here.

http://www.atari2600land.com/antsjag/

• Like 1

Maybe introduce other "pests" as the game goes- such as round one black ants only, then round two add the red ants, then the bees, and whatever else to increase the difficulty as you go. Spiders and mosquitos also come to mind. The spiders could jump at the hand if it is too close, and the mosquitos could be faster than the bees.

post-6479-0-47893000-1498001270.gif

Edited by MayDay

Could you paste the few lines of code for that, because it shouldn't happen :)

All I did was change the 32s in the rapinit file.

While we're talking about this, it appears the X one doesn't seem to work, I put it at 16 and it still appears to be 32. I don't know why. The Y one appears to be working, though.

Added in the death sequence with the bee. To do this, I had to separate the finger and the arm and then glue them back together, so to speak, since they have different widths. One of the things to watch out for is when the game ends and you press Pause and the music doesn't start up and the game freezes on the title screen and the ants still move around randomly. This isn't supposed to happen, so if it does, please tell me. What should happen is the title screen music plays and the ants move around randomly and pressing options gets you to the options screen.

I think I'm having an issue with sound. I don't know whether it's Virtual Jaguar being flaky and stupid, whether it's my computer being flaky and stupid, or whether it's my code. Sometimes when you die, it plays a scratchy icky computer sound instead of the death .mod I put in there. You can get the code and stuff on the website in my signature.

Maybe introduce other "pests" as the game goes- such as round one black ants only, then round two add the red ants, then the bees, and whatever else to increase the difficulty as you go. Spiders and mosquitos also come to mind. The spiders could jump at the hand if it is too close, and the mosquitos could be faster than the bees.

You have a gift for making spites!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to solve bugs but I can't. Most of the time it involves freezing at the game over screen (pressing Pause not having go back to the title screen.) There was this really interesting one though that had the MOD player play various, random lowsounding sounds from its package. I don't know if this is the fault of Virtual Jaguar being stupid or if it's my code. I need a code guru to look through this and see what to do with this.

ants.bas

I'd say it's probably this:

if silencemodtimer<240 then 
		MODVOL(7) 
		MODPLAY((int)strptr(MOD_DEATHMUSIC)) 
		silencemodtimer++
		endif

Which is restarting the mod player each time around the loop

try:

if silencemodtimer=1 then

modvol(7)

modplay((int)strptr(MOD_DEATHMUSIC))

endif

if silencemodtimer<240 then

silencemodtimer++

endif

• Like 1

That worked most of the time. It only froze once. I am however having troubles with sound if the squish sound is playing when you die. Sometimes it keeps having the sound of a rocket launching. I think also that might be the one time it froze. Here is an updated code.

ants.bas

I think my problem may very well be the computer I'm using doesn't want to run Virtual Jaguar very well. It seems to work okay multiple times and then all of a sudden it makes a wrong thing happen. I wonder when the SD cart will be coming out. I'm curious to know how stupid my computer is.

Edited by atari2600land

It doesn't matter what it says in the .txt file, it matters what it says on the title bar. If it says "Virtual Jaguar GIT 201xxxxx" (where xxxxx are numbers), then you don't have an official release.

CJ is right about the latest bleeding edge version of VJ--the DSP is undergoing some experiments and is a bit unstable ATM. Best to use 2.1.2 for now. :)